Author Topic: Rondo Interview with Bleacher Report  (Read 3913 times)

Rondo Interview with Bleacher Report
« on: September 01, 2012, 11:32:02 AM »

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 279
Gives some good insight on his own unique style of play, and his hopefully long career as a Celtic.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1318290-rajon-rondo-dishes-on-his-current-and-future-status-with-the-boston-celtics

Re: Rondo Interview with Bleacher Report
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 11:51:24 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Well, it could be one of the best pick-and-roll guys as far as hedging, like a guy like Anderson Varejao. I like going against pick-and-roll with him, because he値l show hard, and that way I値l open up a shot for Kevin. It痴 not about me getting the shot. If he shows hard, that means I知 doing my job, dragging the big out. That allows the 16-footer.

This is my favorite answer.  Yes, Rondo gets it.  If he can get the other team to "show hard" that opens up someone else and starts the whole thing (forcing the defense to start rotating and leaving someone open).

Teams don't show hard on Rondo though becasue he can't hurt them with the outside shot (they don't even go over the top of the pick).  Every team would show hard if he had a consistent shot.

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 11:58:03 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Well, it could be one of the best pick-and-roll guys as far as hedging, like a guy like Anderson Varejao. I like going against pick-and-roll with him, because he値l show hard, and that way I値l open up a shot for Kevin. It痴 not about me getting the shot. If he shows hard, that means I知 doing my job, dragging the big out. That allows the 16-footer.

This is my favorite answer.  Yes, Rondo gets it.  If he can get the other team to "show hard" that opens up someone else and starts the whole thing (forcing the defense to start rotating and leaving someone open).

Teams don't show hard on Rondo though becasue he can't hurt them with the outside shot (they don't even go over the top of the pick).  Every team would show hard if he had a consistent shot.

I think Rondo would have to be a well above average outside shooter before teams would worry as much about that as they do about his passing/dribble penetration.

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 01:42:34 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

I think Rondo would have to be a well above average outside shooter before teams would worry as much about that as they do about his passing/dribble penetration.

My fave answer is this:

"B/R: There have been reports that Ray Allen went to the Heat because there was strife between you and him. Is that overblown? Is there any truth to those reports?

RR: I think Doc answered that question pretty much. I don稚 have anything to say about that."

Perfect.

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 05:03:00 PM »

Online snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I liked the high praise of Varejao - that combined with Doc's all-star roleplay comment about him last year gives me irrational hope that we'll make a push for acquiring him.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 10:11:19 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
hands down to the best point guard in the game. Now im a die hard lakers fan and natual instinct is to hate anyone that dawns the green and white but i have nothing but respect for this dude.

THis dude is single handly can make any team in the league a contender. If the Lakers would to make the finals i would rather play the heat then the celtics. Rondo is the main reason why.

One of the comments (crdited to Lakers All day)
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 11:25:26 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
His favorite pass is way too risky to be effective on a consistent basis. Rondo is good at delivering the ball on the numbers; but when he tries the behind the back or cross court bounce stuff his effectiveness goes way down.

Pretty disappointed that he sees his claim to fame as being all the flashy stuff he does. That is not what makes him a great point guard and that is not what he should be teaching young players. They will learn that on their own.

He gets bored way too easy that is his biggest weakness. It takes someone like KG to get him engaged half the time when he looses interest.

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 12:02:01 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
His favorite pass is way too risky to be effective on a consistent basis. Rondo is good at delivering the ball on the numbers; but when he tries the behind the back or cross court bounce stuff his effectiveness goes way down.

I don't think this is true at all. His behind the back bounce passes are very effective because, in effect, he makes the pass and sets a screen at the same time. The cross court bounce passes he's talking about are the plays where he's running in transition and he lines up a cross court pass to a trailer, usually for a three. He connects on almost all of those passes and they usually get an open look at a three for PP or Ray (or, later in the year, Bradley) on them.

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 02:42:43 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

I thought this behind the back was pretty good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKEOrHeN1IY

Or this bounce pass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqqH_mqb_No