Author Topic: 2012/2013 Champions League  (Read 39116 times)

Re: 2012/2013 Champions League
« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2013, 04:02:59 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Milan back line extremely unsettled right now.  This is not promising.

« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2013, 04:25:22 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
There it is.....

The difference between world class finishing ability (Messi), and less than such (Niang).

Very disappointing.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 04:54:35 PM by KGs Knee »

« Reply #92 on: March 12, 2013, 04:56:28 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Villa with the classy finish to put Barca ahead. Milan have to chase it now.

« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2013, 04:57:42 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
Utterly disappointing day.

Milan's defense has been down right pathetic.  Almost every clearance has been sloppy and misplayed.  Seems their lack of experience is getting the best of them.

Have to hope for an away goal now.

« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2013, 05:35:46 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
Tip of the cap to Barca.  They proved their superiority.

Milan would have done well to play tactically different.  Barca's defense can be exposed.  Had Niang not hit the post on what should have been an easy goal, a different result may have been won.

« Reply #95 on: March 12, 2013, 05:36:30 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
AC Milan is simply terrible. You know you're bad when you come into the game thinking "All we gotta do is not lose 3-0" and yet, you still lose 3-0.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #96 on: March 12, 2013, 05:38:39 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
AC Milan is simply terrible. You know you're bad when you come into the game thinking "All we gotta do is not lose 3-0" and yet, you still lose 3-0.

I'm guessing you don't know your European soccer too well.  Barca does this to almost everyone.

That said, this has not been one of Milan's better campaigns.

« Reply #97 on: March 12, 2013, 05:40:00 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

I'm guessing you don't know your European soccer too well.  Barca does this to almost everyone.

One would think, after letting Barça score one, ACM would make sure not to let them score another.

Instead, they let them score 2 more  ::)

(Edit: THREE more [though the last one didn't really matter])
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2013, 05:48:09 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170

One would think, after letting Barça score one, ACM would make sure not to let them score another.

Hey, Barça on their homefield, with everything on their favor is a hard team to defend. Granted, Milan was terrible in every way, giving the ball to Barça and waiting them in their own area, thus setting them to play the way they like it.

Tp for Kg's Knee, being an AC Milan must really suck. Barça isn't dominating this way on the weak La Liga teams, and they're not what they used to be.

Hoping for a Bayern-Barça quarterfinal matchup.

« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2013, 06:01:22 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

First, I'm wondering if you truly understand how good Barca is offensively.  I have seen very few teams in my years watching European soccer that can score they way this team can.  I don't know if I've ever seen a team be able to posses the ball the way they do.

Second, Milan is a rather young and inexperienced team right now.  Just from last years roster they lost Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Thiago Silva, Mark Van Bommel, Robinho, Clarence Seedorf, Alessandro Nesta, Gianluca Zambrotta & Filippo Inzaghi.  That is an astounding amount of top level talent turnover have to deal with.  The Italian sides can no longer compete financially with the EPL teams or the two Spanish powerhouses (Barca/Madrid).

Lastly, tactically I was displeased with Milan.  They played too conservative at the beginning.  The best way to beat Barca, is to expose their weak defense.  It's very difficlult though.  Barca has such an unbelievably good midfield, it is difficult to maintain possesion.  Ultimately, I think Milan's inexperience got the better of them.  They seemed overwhelmed by the moment for much of the game.

But, being an AC Milan fan does not suck.  Milan has one of the most glorious histories of any European soccer club EVER.  They have won more European titles than any other, and have the second most Euro Cup/Champions League titles (7), as well as the second most Serie A titles (18).

« Reply #100 on: March 12, 2013, 06:25:34 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170

First, I'm wondering if you truly understand how good Barca is offensively.  I have seen very few teams in my years watching European soccer that can score they way this team can.  I don't know if I've ever seen a team be able to posses the ball the way they do.

Second, Milan is a rather young and inexperienced team right now.  Just from last years roster they lost Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Thiago Silva, Mark Van Bommel, Robinho, Clarence Seedorf, Alessandro Nesta, Gianluca Zambrotta & Filippo Inzaghi.  That is an astounding amount of top level talent turnover have to deal with.  The Italian sides can no longer compete financially with the EPL teams or the two Spanish powerhouses (Barca/Madrid).

Lastly, tactically I was displeased with Milan.  They played too conservative at the beginning.  The best way to beat Barca, is to expose their weak defense.  It's very difficlult though.  Barca has such an unbelievably good midfield, it is difficult to maintain possesion.  Ultimately, I think Milan's inexperience got the better of them.  They seemed overwhelmed by the moment for much of the game.

But, being an AC Milan fan does not suck.  Milan has one of the most glorious histories of any European soccer club EVER.  They have won more European titles than any other, and have the second most Euro Cup/Champions League titles (7), as well as the second most Serie A titles (18).

I hope it didn't offend you as a Milan fan, sorry if that's the case.

Of course AC Milan is the second greatest club in all soccer, but this present team is one of the weakest in their last years. Blame has to go on Berlusconi and Galliani for their firesale. One would think they're going to sell Boateng if they have the chance, also.

Last year's Milan lineup would have knocked off this Barça today, they're lacking someone in the midfield who can set their teammates. But they're young and have some room to progress.

Barça is clearly on the decline, it will be very interesting how UEFA sets the next round matchups to grant them a weak opponent. By the way, after Niang's shot to post, have anybody seen Pique's playing with his hand? There wasn't any replay on Spanish TV, so it must be a penalty   8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n96Offcj4wQ

« Reply #101 on: March 13, 2013, 12:23:50 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
I hope it didn't offend you as a Milan fan, sorry if that's the case.

Of course AC Milan is the second greatest club in all soccer, but this present team is one of the weakest in their last years. Blame has to go on Berlusconi and Galliani for their firesale. One would think they're going to sell Boateng if they have the chance, also.

Nah, no offense taken.  TP back at ya.

Honestly, as much as it pained me to see Milan sell off it's top players, it was likely necessary.  Their top talent was getting a little long in the tooth, and didn't seem to be getting results worthy of their financial cost.  The only player they lost that really bothered me was Thiago Silva.  His experience on the back line would have been nice to have this year.

I'm hoping this "youth movement" Milan is going through right now will pay off in a year or two.  They have some really good young talent right now.  El Shaarway, Niang, and Balotelli (if he could ever get on the field) are all 22 or younger.  Cristante, their best young prospect, hasn't yet been called up, but is looking like he could become the midfield player to make it all work (I've seen more than a few comparisons to Pirlo).

I expect Milan will sell off Boateng, and Robinho (who wants to go back to Brazil), save a little more money, and in a year or two make their splash in the transfer market.

I think Berlusconi finally realized his finances just can't compete with the Barcas, Madrids, or EPL teams.  Have to develope your own talent better, and only sign high profile players when the youth is ready.

« Reply #102 on: March 13, 2013, 04:56:14 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
One thing I wish they would change is the away goal rule.

If, for instance, Arsenal were to somehow win 2-0 today, I would think that to be more impressive than Munich winning 3-1 away.  Yet Munich would go through based on more away goals.

« Reply #103 on: March 13, 2013, 05:03:32 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Arsenal need to make some changes in midfield. Need more attacking players on the pitch.

Rosicky misplacing too many passes. Maybe somebody like Oxlade Chamberlain who has pace and can run at people down the wing. I think Ramsey should come off too. Maybe for Diaby or even a more attacking substitute like Gervinho or Arshavin. Arsenal running out of time now. Only 25 minutes left and they still need 2 more goals.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 05:09:15 PM by Who »

« Reply #104 on: March 13, 2013, 05:20:52 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
The linesman has done a terrible job tonight. Several offside decisions wrong tonight. Got a few wrong decisions against Bayern in the first half and followed that up with another couple of wrong decisions in the second half against Arsenal.