Author Topic: Broussard: Rondo Could be MVP in 2013  (Read 26797 times)

Re: Boussard: Rondo Could be MVP in 2013
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2012, 08:42:54 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
This is what it takes for a PG:

19 points, 11 assists, 4 rebounds, 35 mpg, 51% FG, 44% 3pt (2 per game), 92% FT, 63% TS, 58% eFG

Does that mean that only one pg's ever been MVP, or that every pg that's been MVP has shot at least 44% on threes and 92% from the line? How about 11 assists a game? People should explain that requirement to whoever voted for Rose.
Yeah there's only ever been one MVP PG you got me.

....I was giving an example of the last pass first PG.  If you think 25 points and 6 made FT a game is healthier goal for Rondo next season more power to you.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2012, 08:54:10 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
This is what it takes for a PG:

19 points, 11 assists, 4 rebounds, 35 mpg, 51% FG, 44% 3pt (2 per game), 92% FT, 63% TS, 58% eFG

Does that mean that only one pg's ever been MVP, or that every pg that's been MVP has shot at least 44% on threes and 92% from the line? How about 11 assists a game? People should explain that requirement to whoever voted for Rose.
Yeah there's only ever been one MVP PG you got me.

....I was giving an example of the last pass first PG.  If you think 25 points and 6 made FT a game is healthier goal for Rondo next season more power to you.

Wait...are those Nash's numbers?

« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2012, 09:21:32 PM »

Offline Carhole

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 63
Boussard's exact words were "it could happen".  To be honest though, I still think that KG is our most impactful player (just look at the plus/minus numbers for KG on the court vs. off).

KG is an MVP candidate (or should be) if he just stays healthy and doesn't wear down too much through the season.  In order for Rondo to be a legitimate MVP candidate, he would need to dramatically improve his shooting, forcing teams to defend him honestly.

The coach of every team we faced in the playoffs talked about trying to contain Rondo as a top or the top priority of their defenses. That's probably more meaningful than how much they worry about his jump shooting.

You watched that philly series and honestly thought their defense's top priority was "stopping rondo" ?

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2012, 10:25:42 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
It's possible. He might need to up his scoring a bit though (around 15-17 points/game) and still has the assist average at around 10-11.

Celtics also need to be one of the top 5 teams in the NBA (not just the East) to convince people.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2012, 10:34:00 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Boussard's exact words were "it could happen".  To be honest though, I still think that KG is our most impactful player (just look at the plus/minus numbers for KG on the court vs. off).

KG is an MVP candidate (or should be) if he just stays healthy and doesn't wear down too much through the season.  In order for Rondo to be a legitimate MVP candidate, he would need to dramatically improve his shooting, forcing teams to defend him honestly.

The coach of every team we faced in the playoffs talked about trying to contain Rondo as a top or the top priority of their defenses. That's probably more meaningful than how much they worry about his jump shooting.

You watched that philly series and honestly thought their defense's top priority was "stopping rondo" ?

Absolutely. Why did you think stopping Rondo *wasn't* a priority for Philly? Wasn't that the first series in nba history where someone had 13 or more assists in each of the first 5 games of the series?

In any case, here's Collins after game 3:

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2012/05/18/doug-collins-we-have-to-meet-the-challenge-of-rondo/

"PHILADELPHIA — A lot of coaches say they want to make life difficult on Rajon Rondo.

But Doug Collins said Thursday that if his Sixers don’t do a better job of putting up a fight against the superstar point guard in Game 4, his team essentially has no shot.

“We never got Rondo stopped all night long,” Collins said of Rondo. “He took the ball wherever he wanted to take it on the floor. We have to take that challenge. We have to take on the challenge that he’s the guy that going to push on the [fast] break, he’s going to get the ball up the floor, he’s going to make the passes, he’s going to be the guy who’s initiating most of their stuff. We have to take the challenge of doing a better job on him.”"

And here's an article from after game 5:

http://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-philadelphia-sixers/sixers-talk/Sixers-Game-6-plan-to-stop-Rondo-a-succe?blockID=713540

"But rather than simply moving Andre Iguodala, the Sixers’ best perimeter defender, over to guard Rondo, Collins put top assistant Michael Curry in charge of putting together the plan to stop the point guard."

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2012, 11:09:56 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I think it's a long shot, but it's certainly within him.

If he could put similar numbers during the regular season like he's posted in the playoffs the last few yrs, what is there to stop him from winning MVP next season?

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2012, 12:06:13 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Absolutely. Why did you think stopping Rondo *wasn't* a priority for Philly? Wasn't that the first series in nba history where someone had 13 or more assists in each of the first 5 games of the series?

In any case, here's Collins after game 3:

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2012/05/18/doug-collins-we-have-to-meet-the-challenge-of-rondo/

"PHILADELPHIA — A lot of coaches say they want to make life difficult on Rajon Rondo.

But Doug Collins said Thursday that if his Sixers don’t do a better job of putting up a fight against the superstar point guard in Game 4, his team essentially has no shot.

“We never got Rondo stopped all night long,” Collins said of Rondo. “He took the ball wherever he wanted to take it on the floor. We have to take that challenge. We have to take on the challenge that he’s the guy that going to push on the [fast] break, he’s going to get the ball up the floor, he’s going to make the passes, he’s going to be the guy who’s initiating most of their stuff. We have to take the challenge of doing a better job on him.”"

And here's an article from after game 5:

http://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-philadelphia-sixers/sixers-talk/Sixers-Game-6-plan-to-stop-Rondo-a-succe?blockID=713540

"But rather than simply moving Andre Iguodala, the Sixers’ best perimeter defender, over to guard Rondo, Collins put top assistant Michael Curry in charge of putting together the plan to stop the point guard."

I think every team has to gameplan around Rondo if they want to win.

But for this tangential argument, I don't think any of that proves stopping Rondo was a number 1 priority. Especially since they kept trusting Jrue Holiday to stop him when he obviously wasn't.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2012, 12:36:31 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
I love this.

But for this tangential argument, I don't think any of that proves stopping Rondo was a number 1 priority. Especially since they kept trusting Jrue Holiday to stop him when he obviously wasn't.

Isn't he a top three offensive pg in the NBA? Lol

If Rondo puts up double digit triple doubles this season, the celtics compete for best record like SA has the past couple years, and he puts up a Nash/J Kidd stat line like those two did when they were finalists for the MVP then he will be right there.

Looks like a lot above but it's all possibility. No one's roster is as similar to SA like ours. Rondo can put up 15, 11, and 5 with over 2 steals. The triple doubles will be the hard part, but he had four in the 20 post season alone. With 82 games I think ten is a possibility with how his game and role are evolving. 

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2012, 12:55:24 AM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 187
It's an interesting question.  Rondo is hands down not the most valuable player on the Celtics...that's Kevin Garnett.  But Garnett has absolutely zero chance at garnering national attention unless both Rondo and Pierce get hurt this year.  Rondo, on the other hand, is square in the public eye both nationally and among fans.  So, as ironic as it is, I do think Rondo is probably the biggest potential MVP candidate of this team...even though he's not actually the MVP of the team.

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2012, 01:02:33 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I love this.

Isn't he a top three offensive pg in the NBA? Lol

Rondo or Jrue? I'm assuming you mean Rondo.

And...I don't know if he is or isn't. He's not even a top 10 scoring pg, but he'a the best or near the best passing PG in the league.

Chris Paul is a better offensive player, after that, I'm not sure. So much of what Rondo brings is the passing.

If I was asked, 'Pick any PG in the league, they've gotta be your best offensive player' I'm really having a tough time there making a top 3.

Paul
Williams
?

Rondo, Nash, Westbrook, Parker, Curry (if healthy), Irving all have their appeal. The rest of the squad is so critical.

« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2012, 01:09:33 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
It's an interesting question.  Rondo is hands down not the most valuable player on the Celtics...that's Kevin Garnett.  But Garnett has absolutely zero chance at garnering national attention unless both Rondo and Pierce get hurt this year.  Rondo, on the other hand, is square in the public eye both nationally and among fans.  So, as ironic as it is, I do think Rondo is probably the biggest potential MVP candidate of this team...even though he's not actually the MVP of the team.

Kevin Garnett defensively is more important to the celtics offensively. People always say, 'Rondo/Nash/Lebron/Paul' makes everyone better offensively', but what they mean is that they consistently make life easier for people offensively, make it easier for them to make shots.

They also say 'Dwight Howard makes everyone better defensively' but what they mean is that KG makes everyone better by covering up for their mistakes with his uber elite rim defense and help defense.

Kevin Garnett actually MAKES EVERYONE PLAY HARDER. He's offering elite defense and über elite help defense, but who else in the league actually ups your effort level by just being on the team?

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2012, 01:31:22 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
Kevin Garnett actually MAKES EVERYONE PLAY HARDER.

Rondo has a little of that too. If only he could do it without breaking an arm or throwing himself all over the floor.

People say he's improved as a vocal leader. He also has that KG competitive attitude (call it bad sportsmanship or chippiness but it's good to have this on your side). If he could do these things more...maybe?

« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2012, 01:45:39 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Rondo has a little of that too. If only he could do it without breaking an arm or throwing himself all over the floor.

People say he's improved as a vocal leader. He also has that KG competitive attitude (call it bad sportsmanship or chippiness but it's good to have this on your side). If he could do these things more...maybe?

Rondo may have improved as a vocal leader, but that's in the context of being on a team with 3 other (2, now) 'vocal leaders'.

I don't think Rondo holds a candle to KG in terms of being able to motivate the team into playing harder. Honestly I'm not sure who else in the league does. Kobe is a good leader, but he does it through fear, LeBron is a good leader too (as is D-Wade), but it's not like KG. Lebron seems to inspire comradity, as much as anything else. Tim Duncan I think inspires confidence and poise, while Paul...I don't know what he inspires. Teammates seem to like him.

Maybe Durant will get there, but he's young yet.

« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2012, 02:02:40 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen

Rondo may have improved as a vocal leader, but that's in the context of being on a team with 3 other (2, now) 'vocal leaders'.

I don't think Rondo holds a candle to KG in terms of being able to motivate the team into playing harder. Honestly I'm not sure who else in the league does. Kobe is a good leader, but he does it through fear, LeBron is a good leader too (as is D-Wade), but it's not like KG. Lebron seems to inspire comradity, as much as anything else. Tim Duncan I think inspires confidence and poise, while Paul...I don't know what he inspires. Teammates seem to like him.

Maybe Durant will get there, but he's young yet.

I think KG makes everyone feel like they're not just playing basketball as a job, but playing basketball for their life (sounds dumb but I feel like it's an apt description).

I personally think Rondo does have a little of that. When his head is in the game, he shuts out everything else and that is very infectious (like KG).

KG directs the defense, which is something Rondo doesn't quite do. But when Rondo played with AB, the backcourt defense was phenomenal and, again for the lack of a better word, infectious. I'm certainly hoping this continues.

That said, I don't think there'll be anyone quite like KG anytime soon. But I think Rondo might be the closest we'll get.

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2012, 02:27:23 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Broussard says something I can finally agree with

lol
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk