Author Topic: Broussard: Rondo Could be MVP in 2013  (Read 26771 times)

Re: Boussard: Rondo Could be MVP in 2013
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2012, 04:44:55 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Boussard's exact words were "it could happen".  To be honest though, I still think that KG is our most impactful player (just look at the plus/minus numbers for KG on the court vs. off).

KG is an MVP candidate (or should be) if he just stays healthy and doesn't wear down too much through the season.  In order for Rondo to be a legitimate MVP candidate, he would need to dramatically improve his shooting, forcing teams to defend him honestly.

The coach of every team we faced in the playoffs talked about trying to contain Rondo as a top or the top priority of their defenses. That's probably more meaningful than how much they worry about his jump shooting.

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 04:49:05 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Rondo is a pretty big longshot for MVP, since he's behind for sure LeBron, Durant, Paul, Howard, Westbrook (Westbrook's numbers are way prettier, that matters)..

I'd say if his PPG can top 16 and he continues with 11-12 APG, he's got a shot. Celtics have got to do well, and he can't miss many games though.

I don't think Rondo will win the MVP but he's finished higher in the voting that Westbrook has in each of the last 2 years, I doubt he's "for sure" behind him in the race.

Yeah, 'for sure' is probably a little strong. Westbrook's playoffs were better than Rondo's, but Rondo has the benefit of being the most talented guy on his team, and everyone knows it.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2012, 05:09:39 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
Rondo has to average at least 18ppg to win MVP imo

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2012, 05:10:54 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Boussard's exact words were "it could happen".  To be honest though, I still think that KG is our most impactful player (just look at the plus/minus numbers for KG on the court vs. off).

KG is an MVP candidate (or should be) if he just stays healthy and doesn't wear down too much through the season.  In order for Rondo to be a legitimate MVP candidate, he would need to dramatically improve his shooting, forcing teams to defend him honestly.

The coach of every team we faced in the playoffs talked about trying to contain Rondo as a top or the top priority of their defenses. That's probably more meaningful than how much they worry about his jump shooting.

Player   Min   Own   Opp   Net   On   Off   Net
Garnett   58%   21.2   14.5   6.8   6.9   -3.7   10.5
Rondo   61%   18   10.7   7.2   4.8   -1.1   5.9
Pierce   65%   19.9   13.5   6.4   4.4   -1.1   5.6

I am not sure it is true that every coach made the statement that their top priority was to contain Rondo.  Of course, any coach would want to contain him and every other player on the court but the execution of this strategy was to not even cover Rondo and simply let him shoot anytime he wanted to.  This is in contrast to every other MVP candidate where they are double teamed on almost every possession and every effort is made to get the ball out of that players hands.

Then of course there are the stats that indicate the KG had nearly double the impact of either Pierce or Rondo, in fewer minutes.

And finally, you seem to be trivializing my comment that Rondo needs to improve his shooting.  I recall announcers saying things like "they aren't even covering Rondo" or "I can't believe how far off him they are playing".  That type of defensive scheme is unpresidented.  There is not another player in the league currently (and perhaps ever in the history of the league) that is "dared" more to shoot than Rondo.

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2012, 05:52:32 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
Rondo is a pretty big longshot for MVP, since he's behind for sure LeBron, Durant, Paul, Howard, Westbrook (Westbrook's numbers are way prettier, that matters)..

I'd say if his PPG can top 16 and he continues with 11-12 APG, he's got a shot. Celtics have got to do well, and he can't miss many games though.

I don't think Rondo will win the MVP but he's finished higher in the voting that Westbrook has in each of the last 2 years, I doubt he's "for sure" behind him in the race.

Yeah, 'for sure' is probably a little strong. Westbrook's playoffs were better than Rondo's, but Rondo has the benefit of being the most talented guy on his team, and everyone knows it.

I would disagree that Westbrook had a better playoffs than Rondo.

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2012, 05:57:59 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I think there is a pretty valid case to be made that Rondo had a better overall playoffs. I think Westbrook's degree of difficulty was significantly harder, but Rondo can't control that and they both lost to the Heat.

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2012, 06:04:52 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Player   Min   Own   Opp   Net   On   Off   Net
Garnett   58%   21.2   14.5   6.8   6.9   -3.7   10.5
Rondo   61%   18   10.7   7.2   4.8   -1.1   5.9
Pierce   65%   19.9   13.5   6.4   4.4   -1.1   5.6

I am not sure it is true that every coach made the statement that their top priority was to contain Rondo.  Of course, any coach would want to contain him and every other player on the court but the execution of this strategy was to not even cover Rondo and simply let him shoot anytime he wanted to.  This is in contrast to every other MVP candidate where they are double teamed on almost every possession and every effort is made to get the ball out of that players hands.

Then of course there are the stats that indicate the KG had nearly double the impact of either Pierce or Rondo, in fewer minutes.

And finally, you seem to be trivializing my comment that Rondo needs to improve his shooting.  I recall announcers saying things like "they aren't even covering Rondo" or "I can't believe how far off him they are playing".  That type of defensive scheme is unpresidented.  There is not another player in the league currently (and perhaps ever in the history of the league) that is "dared" more to shoot than Rondo.

KG played well but much of his impact was due to his being the only decent player on the team over 6'8 or so. No team is going to win very many games if their bigs consist of Bass, a hobbled Steimsma and Hollins. Teams can't really double Rondo because he'd pick them apart with his passing.

And the league's full of players that aren't guarded closely when they're 20 feet from the basket. Rondo's a mediocre ahooter but he's not that far below average. If you watched more than a handful of Celts games in 2010-2011 you'd have seen Big Baby left alone and dared to shoot as much as Rondo was. Claiming that letting a player shoot from the outside is an unprecedented defense or that Rondo's dared to shoot more than any other player in the history of the league is absolute nonsense.

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2012, 06:06:58 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

I think there is a pretty valid case to be made that Rondo had a better overall playoffs. I think Westbrook's degree of difficulty was significantly harder, but Rondo can't control that and they both lost to the Heat.

With all the injuries the Celts had to deal with in the playoffs I don't see how Westbrook's degree of difficulty was significantly harder.

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2012, 06:07:59 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Well Nash won MVP two years in a row (even though Shaq should have won in 05 and Kobe should have won in 06), and his numbers aren't necessarily unattainable for someone like Rondo. 15-19 points a game, 11-12 assists. Keep in mind Rondo is a better defensive player than Nash and is a better rebounder.

I don't think Rondo as an MVP candidate is completely out of the question.

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2012, 06:16:48 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

With all the injuries the Celts had to deal with in the playoffs I don't see how Westbrook's degree of difficulty was significantly harder.

You don't see how it was less difficult for an injury plagued Celtics team to beat the also injury ridden Hawks and Sixers (not injury ridden) to make it to the conference finals than it was for the Thunder to go through the Mavericks, Lakers, and Spurs?

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2012, 06:43:07 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

You don't see how it was less difficult for an injury plagued Celtics team to beat the also injury ridden Hawks and Sixers (not injury ridden) to make it to the conference finals than it was for the Thunder to go through the Mavericks, Lakers, and Spurs?

You're saying you watched OKC dismantle the Mavs and Lakers and were thinking about what a difficult time they were having? Did you feel that the Lakers were some kind of powerhouse when they barely escaped the first round?

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2012, 07:07:13 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

You're saying you watched OKC dismantle the Mavs and Lakers and were thinking about what a difficult time they were having? Did you feel that the Lakers were some kind of powerhouse when they barely escaped the first round?

I can tell you with every certainty that the Lakers, Spurs, or Mavs all make it out of the first in the East (assuming they're not facing the Heat or Cs), and the Spurs or Lakers likely advance to the Conference Finals.

I mean, just cuz the Thunder whooped on them doesn't mean that they wouldn't have whooped on us or the Heat. Matchups matter quite a bit.

But empirically the Lakers and Spurs at least were head and shoulders above anyone in the East excepting the Heat and post-allstar celtics.

Rondo's road to Miami was way, way easier than Westbrook's

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2012, 07:54:49 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
This is what it takes for a PG:

19 points, 11 assists, 4 rebounds, 35 mpg, 51% FG, 44% 3pt (2 per game), 92% FT, 63% TS, 58% eFG

12 points, 12 assists, 5 rebounds, 37 mpg, 45% FG, 24% 3pt (.2 per game), 60% FT, 48% TS, 46% eFG

That's Rondo.

Still he could be MVP in 2013.....Finals MVP.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 08:02:51 PM by mgent »
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2012, 08:16:50 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

I can tell you with every certainty that the Lakers, Spurs, or Mavs all make it out of the first in the East (assuming they're not facing the Heat or Cs), and the Spurs or Lakers likely advance to the Conference Finals.

I mean, just cuz the Thunder whooped on them doesn't mean that they wouldn't have whooped on us or the Heat. Matchups matter quite a bit.

But empirically the Lakers and Spurs at least were head and shoulders above anyone in the East excepting the Heat and post-allstar celtics.

Rondo's road to Miami was way, way easier than Westbrook's

And Westbrook's team was way, way healthier than Rondo's. When you factor in health, I'd say the difference in Rondo's and Westbrook's teammates was greater than the difference in the success of the teams.

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2012, 08:21:55 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
This is what it takes for a PG:

19 points, 11 assists, 4 rebounds, 35 mpg, 51% FG, 44% 3pt (2 per game), 92% FT, 63% TS, 58% eFG

Does that mean that only one pg's ever been MVP, or that every pg that's been MVP has shot at least 44% on threes and 92% from the line? How about 11 assists a game? People should explain that requirement to whoever voted for Rose.