Author Topic: Broussard: Rondo Could be MVP in 2013  (Read 26694 times)

Re: Broussard: Rondo Could be MVP in 2013
« Reply #120 on: September 06, 2012, 12:37:42 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
48 points on 15 shots.  12 FGs, 24-24 from the line.

Did it in the playoffs but broke the regular season record too.

Oh, you're talking about a single game.

Apparently, on 2-25-06, Arenas was 13-16 from the field (7-10 on threes) and 13-14 from the line, 46 points. 2 less points, 1 more shot, but 10 fewer fta. Clearly more efficient. And Gilbert had 1 fewer turnover as well.
Not from a true shooting perspective.

From a true shooting perspective Dirk used 25.6 shooting possessions to score 48 points, Gilbert used 22.2 shooting possessions to score 46 points. Do the math, but Arenas is obviously more efficient.
Okay so NOW you can agree that efficiency stats don't tell you everything about efficiency?

I'd need you to explain further to answer that. I don't know why Gilbert having a more efficient scoring game than Dirk proves anything.
I was saying Dirk's game was better in terms of TS% because that's what several articles I read were claiming (that it was the best ever recorded).  So it's not a real example for stats not telling you everything about efficiency. I now realize they meant his was better because he scored more. 

I personally don't think using efficiency stats in an argument tells you much unless there's a huge separation (like there was with Rondo and Nash).  Arenas gains the same advantage Ray does in that he mostly only shoots the most efficient shot in basketball.  This gives a lot of weight to the stats, and leads to amazing statistical games or seasons when hot.  That's great and all when you're playing the games on paper.

Now if I were a GM building a team on efficiency, I wouldn't be focused on 3 point shooting and I think most coaches would agree.  I would prefer the guy who gets to the line more and can take the ball in the paint/create his own shot.  The majority of 3 point shots have to be set up.  James Posey has had a season more efficient than Dirk too, sorry if I'm not really as impressed with that either.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 12:59:27 PM by mgent »
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale