Author Topic: Holy smokes. They just ruined Lance Armstong.  (Read 32468 times)

Re: Holy smokes. They just ruined Lance Armstong.
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2013, 04:40:28 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I guess when it all boils down, the lesson should be that Lance Armstrong is just a person. No better or worse than most of us.  We've all had our hands in the proverbial cookie jar in small (or large) ways and probably all know what it's like to deny the truth or outright lie in order to avoid blame or shame. 

I guess I couldn't care less about his titles, his loss of titles, his admissions of guilt, or his future.  He's just another fallible person like the rest of us.  For those who feel cheated by his actions (probably like those who feel Clemens, McGuire, Bonds, etc. cheated you) I understand feeling duped. But it's long over and at the end of the day he is famous for riding bicycles as Bonds is famous for hitting a ball with a stick. I hope to hear very little about this in the coming days but am sure it will make big news if Lance admits his guilt.

Nice post - TP.

This all just needs to go away. I know it's 'cheating' and I know it's 'wrong', but I may feel differently if the vast majoriy of top bicyclists also didn't test positive at some point in time. I guess the lesson in using PEDs is you can be really good, but don't be the best, or your life will be totally ruined.

« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2013, 04:48:47 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
The only difference between Armstrong and all the other cyclists is he is the quintessential narcissist who I think truly believed he could get away with his lifetime of lies.

« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2013, 05:25:28 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
The only difference between Armstrong and all the other cyclists is he is the quintessential narcissist who I think truly believed he could get away with his lifetime of lies.

This is one of the truest statements in this thread.
Here's a good read if you're interested, particularly if you think Lance is innocent...

http://cavalierfc.tumblr.com/post/30172302298/its-not-about-the-bike

And to those who are saying 'Lance has never failed a drug test', you really need to do your research. He's failed multiple tests throughout his career. The US cycling admin have kept results of tests hidden. They've tried to protect their image by protecting this scumbag but unfortunately when you roll the dice that many times, it catches up with you.
I was a big Lance fan until George Hinkappe (his long time team mate) testified against him to a US grand jury. That was the start of researching Lance doping history.

Freakish athlete, narcissist and public servant. Still a good old scumbag that got caught up in the cycling culture at the time and there's nothing he can do to go back and change it all.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 05:51:23 PM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2013, 06:17:44 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

Here's a good read if you're interested, particularly if you think Lance is innocent...

And to those who are saying 'Lance has never failed a drug test', you really need to do your research. He's failed multiple tests throughout his career. The US cycling admin have kept results of tests hidden. They've tried to protect their image by protecting this scumbag but unfortunately when you roll the dice that many times, it catches up with you.
I was a big Lance fan until George Hinkappe (his long time team mate) testified against him to a US grand jury. That was the start of researching Lance doping history.

Freakish athlete, narcissist and public servant. Still a good old scumbag that got caught up in the cycling culture at the time and there's nothing he can do to go back and change it all.

Why is he a scumbag? What has he done to hurt ANYONE (that you know of)? Oh, he's a scumbag b/c he doped up? Well I hate to break it to you, "all" athletes dope up... when you realize that then you should not fault Lance for it... it is your own fault that you were fooled when it's clear that "all" of them do it! The greatest athletes of yesteryear all doped up but we just didn't have the test for those people... but it was well known that they did! Also, what is banned now are things that other people were "free" to use in the past... so now we make these people into villains when others got away with it!

I personally don't care that he doped up (or lied to protect his career), he didn't hurt anyone AND he helped a lot of sick people with the money he helped to raise!

Stop living in a fantasy world people!! There probably wouldn't be these huge sports and quality players without some aid, steroids or other illegal things! If they aren't hurting anyone and they are doing their jobs (entertaining), then where is the problem. Another thing, just b/c he doped up it doesn't mean he didn't have to work just as hard... remember, everyone else is doping too, so if everyone is doing it, just doing it won't get you the wins... you have to be/have more than the roids!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2013, 06:18:09 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Armstrong should use this whole travail for marketing purposes - 'CheatStrong' anyone?

« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2013, 06:27:50 PM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
If you guys are interested in stuff like this watch a movie called Bigger Stronger Faster. Its actually a really good movie/documentary that looks at both sides of the argument and how one sided people can be.

That being said. I dont think there is anyone out there that can honestly say they have never cheated at some point in their life.

« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2013, 07:16:04 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Why is he a scumbag? What has he done to hurt ANYONE (that you know of)? Oh, he's a scumbag b/c he doped up? Well I hate to break it to you, "all" athletes dope up... when you realize that then you should not fault Lance for it... it is your own fault that you were fooled when it's clear that "all" of them do it! The greatest athletes of yesteryear all doped up but we just didn't have the test for those people... but it was well known that they did! Also, what is banned now are things that other people were "free" to use in the past... so now we make these people into villains when others got away with it!

I personally don't care that he doped up (or lied to protect his career), he didn't hurt anyone AND he helped a lot of sick people with the money he helped to raise!

Stop living in a fantasy world people!! There probably wouldn't be these huge sports and quality players without some aid, steroids or other illegal things! If they aren't hurting anyone and they are doing their jobs (entertaining), then where is the problem. Another thing, just b/c he doped up it doesn't mean he didn't have to work just as hard... remember, everyone else is doping too, so if everyone is doing it, just doing it won't get you the wins... you have to be/have more than the roids!
Lance isn't a scumbag because he used illegal dope to further his professional career.  He is a scumbag because he is a giant scumbag.  The things he did to others to keep his doping secret is astonishing.  Threats to ruin careers, actually ruining careers, suing people, and on and on and on.  Seriously, you should read up on Lance.  He is it absolute epitome of scumbag. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2013, 09:01:01 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Pretty Bad. They gave him plenty of chances to come clean. He brought this on himself.

« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2013, 10:16:20 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

He's built his career on the notion that he's the only champion in modern cycling that built a dynasty on not cheating. PLUS he has used his cancer battle to make the story even more like a fairy tale to make more money. He's also threatened numerous other cyclists and tried to use his clean image to bury their careers.
I've been a serious cyclist in my time and once admired this bag of scum. Once you do a little research on the guy you start to see how self involved he is, but you let his arrogance slide because he's a 7X tour winner who does a boatload for cancer... Then you find out he's been conning you for years, you've bought his books, supported him and stayed up late to watch him ride in France.
The best way to appreciate his scumbag status is to read his books and see how many times he gloats, boasts and 'confirms' that he didn't cheat and how he tries to be a model for the sport blah blah blah.
Complete and utter scum-bucket full of puss is this human being.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2013, 10:18:49 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
the worst part about all this are the adament defenders of the liar.

« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2013, 10:35:04 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I find the news line pretty funny, just the concept of knowing that Armstrong is considering telling. lol

« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2013, 10:42:09 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

He's built his career on the notion that he's the only champion in modern cycling that built a dynasty on not cheating. PLUS he has used his cancer battle to make the story even more like a fairy tale to make more money. He's also threatened numerous other cyclists and tried to use his clean image to bury their careers.
I've been a serious cyclist in my time and once admired this bag of scum. Once you do a little research on the guy you start to see how self involved he is, but you let his arrogance slide because he's a 7X tour winner who does a boatload for cancer... Then you find out he's been conning you for years, you've bought his books, supported him and stayed up late to watch him ride in France.
The best way to appreciate his scumbag status is to read his books and see how many times he gloats, boasts and 'confirms' that he didn't cheat and how he tries to be a model for the sport blah blah blah.

LOL let him slide b/c he is a 7x champ? I do not watch or even like cycling!!! Cycling is just like NASCAR to me, a bunch of going round and round, BORING! He has raised a LOT of money for cancer... again, who has he hurt???? EVERY athlete has HUGE egos, you can't be good without one!! I don't care what he does as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else (I don't care about him hurting feelings)! Like I said, "all" athletes do some type of enhancements and "all" do so illegally but not many will get "caught"! You're just going to continue getting hurt feelings if you believe otherwise.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2013, 11:10:38 PM »

Offline JBone4eva

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 17

LOL let him slide b/c he is a 7x champ? I do not watch or even like cycling!!! Cycling is just like NASCAR to me, a bunch of going round and round, BORING! He has raised a LOT of money for cancer... again, who has he hurt???? EVERY athlete has HUGE egos, you can't be good without one!! I don't care what he does as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else (I don't care about him hurting feelings)! Like I said, "all" athletes do some type of enhancements and "all" do so illegally but not many will get "caught"! You're just going to continue getting hurt feelings if you believe otherwise.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/zone-lance-armstrong-bully-downfall-article-1.1188512

Read this, documents him and his outfits' bullying and threatening (some death threats even being given) tactics.  I understand you defending what he's done for cancer research, but threatening peoples' livelihoods definitely "hurts" people, and that's not even getting into his threats and intimidation tactics used toward those who wouldn't stay silent about his doping, and their respective families. 

You sound like a pretty devout Armstrong supporter (for whatever reason) who's opinion won't be budged, but I think his tactics make him more than a scumbag and shows that he has indeed "hurt" people who wouldn't keep silent about his lying and drug abuse.  Despite his humanitarian work, dude is an arrogant ass.

« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2013, 11:14:04 PM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
People are asking who Armstrong has hurt. You should read the posts more carefully. He has ruined other people's carrier to protect his own. He has denied, denied, denied when other people came clean.
And please don't tell me that you aren't hurting anyone just by being a liar and a cheat. That always comes with a price. There are probably a lot of people close to Armstrong, who either had to protect the secret or were kept in the dark. Either way, they have paid a price, too.
And then there are the few cyclists who were actually clean in the Armstrong era. They got cheated in a big way.

« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2013, 11:33:44 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/zone-lance-armstrong-bully-downfall-article-1.1188512

Read this, documents him and his outfits' bullying and threatening (some death threats even being given) tactics.  I understand you defending what he's done for cancer research, but threatening peoples' livelihoods definitely "hurts" people, and that's not even getting into his threats and intimidation tactics used toward those who wouldn't stay silent about his doping, and their respective families. 

You sound like a pretty devout Armstrong supporter (for whatever reason) who's opinion won't be budged, but I think his tactics make him more than a scumbag and shows that he has indeed "hurt" people who wouldn't keep silent about his lying and drug abuse.  Despite his humanitarian work, dude is an arrogant ass.

Like I said, I don't like cycling and I don't care about Armstrong, I do care when EVERY athlete is druggies but no one cares they choose to take down the better athletes... then people get all up in arms! Nah I don't know if he did threaten people or not but if he has that's definitely wrong and he should be punished. The crying about these supposed "clean" cyclist... well they know just as well as "you" do that everyone is on drugs, that's just the way it is... if they want things to be "fair", pick another profession! Lance and these other athletes who drug up still have to work very hard to be great at their job... if roids could make you amazing without work, everyone would do them... they help but they don't make you a 7 time champ!

People always want bigger and better in sports but get all high and mighty when they find out how the athletes get there!