Author Topic: Bass vs. Sully  (Read 18883 times)

Re: Bass vs. Sully
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2012, 11:38:39 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364
if anything, Sullinger IS going to get playing time this year...seems like Doc loves the kid. he was in our 8-9 man rotation yesterday

he doesnt look like a rookie out there(like fab does) he seems to play with alot of poise/calmness/confidence

mmight be the first time in awhile that a a Rookie is an impact player on the team and Doc plays that rookie

« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2012, 12:08:01 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
This is in my gut feeling
If Sully plays really well this season, the Celtics would no doubt trade Bass mid-season

Not sure about a trade this season, but I can see sullinger earning the starting pf gig at some point.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2012, 12:54:03 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Tough question.

Jared's got a feel for the game that belies his age.

I'll never forget his comments in regards to questions about his back around draft time:

"My back is fine - and I know how to play basketball."

He sure does. Plays smart.

I know there are a few bigs out there that will give Jared problems, but he will definitely abuse a fair amount of them in the NBA - right now.

« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2012, 06:16:55 PM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
Either way looks like a winner for the Celts.

« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2012, 06:44:14 PM »

Offline rmitchell222003

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
our starters still awful getting rebs. We may need to make a change to help out on the boards.

« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2012, 07:15:43 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Sully is the real deal, he fits in with the vets , just like Sir Charles dis wif Doc J . 

Sulls can ball . He has the quick soft hands and IQ to play with Rondo and his bullet sneaky passes.  THose two are gonna makeup up their own little pick and roll sets by years end.

Love Bass,  he may have a chore ahead of him to keep his starting postion .  Might be hard to take a 20 tear old pushing out a 28 year old of his starting spot one day.

In the mean time , Sully 's game will be pushing Bass to be more aggressive/up his game .  This competition should be good for the Celtics at least this year.

« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2012, 07:30:09 PM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
i watched almost every ohio state game last year and trust me.... Sullinger is a very good player. his game will translate well in my opinion because he is so smart and know how to play. one day (soon) hes gunna be an above average NBA. i think right now, he can give this team 14 ppg and 8 rpg in 32 minutes per game and if he gives us that... we will definately be 1 of the best teams in the league. so, yes, i do think sullinger should start

« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2012, 07:30:31 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Let's wait for consistency people. We still don't know how good Jared's conditioning is or if he can fit into our defense (His impressive outing on offense overshadowed a subpar defensive performance on his part). Don't get me wrong I really liked what I saw in Sully but I'm not ready to alter one of the best starting fives in the league (in terms of overall efficiency) for a rookie whose back problems could be an issue this year.

I agree Sully's got upside in his game compared to Bass and he brings a lot of good qualities, but Bass has experience with this team and has proven he can consistently run with the starters. Let's just wait a few regular season games before we start coming to conclusions.

« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2012, 07:35:48 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I'm away from computer and using phone SO I'm not going to post quotes just randomly post some thoughts to all other posts

Sully is a steal, we are lucky to have pf depth of bass, sully, green, Wilcox and kg

I feel Jeff will get pf minutes when we go small and run....rondo, terry, paul, green, kg. pretty strong small lineup

I think/hope both kg and pp will be limited to 30 minutes most nights, we have the horses why not use them

Bass did a fine job last year as a starter e en though he should be a very good sub.   IF he is still playing defense and rebounding at same level as
Sat year that wil. Be the big IF.   As someone posted what he does he does very well, finishes at rim, pick and pop jumper also very good free throw shooter.  When he isn't hitting that elbow jumper he doesn't offer much more, physically he should be a much better defender and rebounder.  Can sully handle the defensive rotations??  If he can then I could see if the deal comes along bass is moved this year (smith)?
If not I see Danny and doc playing both guys for a year or two then moving bass before his contract is up.

I like both guys but I think unless bass improves over last season it is very likely sully will overtake him in two or three years

« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2012, 10:46:23 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I'm not sold on Sully as the long term answer at power forward.  I think he'll be able to put up very good NBA numbers pretty quickly, but I'm worried about him ever being able to play effective defense.  I think that he's just too slow footed to ever be a good pick and roll defender. 

Personally, I think I'd like to see him get a lot of time, put up impressive numbers over the next couple of seasons, and then, when his trade value is really good, get traded for a more athletic, running young big.  I want someone who can be more of a pick and roll player on both ends of the court and someone with more speed running the floor.

I'm more excited about Fab Melo as a long term answer up front for the Celtics than I am about Jared Sullinger.

Jared might be able to make me change me mind, though.  I fall for young Celtics fairly easily.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2012, 11:11:56 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I'm already all-in on the Sully train, but he's still a rookie. Who was the last rookie to play 25 mpg on a contender? And I don't mean '27 year old euro transplant rookie', I mean legit, honest to goodness less than 22 years old rookie.

Best case scenario, Sully can bring the same amount of success Bass brought us last year. But likeliest scenario, he struggles on defense, stumbles on a rookie wall around February, and takes a year to catchup to NBA speed.

So in the case of Sully vs Bass, I say, 'Yes'.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2012, 11:51:06 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
I'm already all-in on the Sully train, but he's still a rookie. Who was the last rookie to play 25 mpg on a contender? And I don't mean '27 year old euro transplant rookie', I mean legit, honest to goodness less than 22 years old rookie.

Best case scenario, Sully can bring the same amount of success Bass brought us last year. But likeliest scenario, he struggles on defense, stumbles on a rookie wall around February, and takes a year to catchup to NBA speed.

Kawhi Leonard played 24 a night for San Antonio last year, 27 per game during the playoffs.  That's the only one I can think of off the top of my head. 

« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2012, 12:19:21 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Kawhi Leonard played 24 a night for San Antonio last year, 27 per game during the playoffs.  That's the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

That is a very good example to use. Excellent in fact. He is likely the exception to the rule, rather than the disproving proof, but he is a great example.

I don't know if it was ESPN or someone else, but a panel of experts recently said when asked "who is most poised to make 'the difference' next year, some picks KL. def on my fantasy sleeper list.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2012, 02:47:12 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
Sullinger is pretty squarely Bass's backup, I just hope very much his minutes don't drop below 15-18 because of Jeff Green taking them at the 4.

Based on what? The 26 min of glorified exhibition he played the other night? Bass will play around 30 at the 4 and Green is gonna play another 10 at the 4 with smallball so MAYBE Sully gets 8min there.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2012, 01:56:43 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

That is a very good example to use. Excellent in fact. He is likely the exception to the rule, rather than the disproving proof, but he is a great example.

I don't know if it was ESPN or someone else, but a panel of experts recently said when asked "who is most poised to make 'the difference' next year, some picks KL. def on my fantasy sleeper list.
Well there's a lot that played on playoff teams/fringe contenders, but I guess Courtney Lee is the other obvious one.  Utah was also considered a strong contender in Wesley Matthew's first year, especially before Okur and Kirilenko went down for the playoffs and before they met the eventual champion Lakers.

Miami was a really good team that played two rookies 25+ minutes the same year (Beasley, Chalmers).  Same with Portland when Rudy Fernadez was a rookie (he was 22 when he came over) and they played Oden heavy minutes (22mpg for 61 games).

The reason we don't see it often, isn't because they're not capable, it's because most rookies that can play major minutes are on lottery teams with no other pieces, and 99% of the rookies on contenders are picked so late they can't earn minutes.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale