Author Topic: Hopefully bass doesn't get in the way  (Read 11218 times)

Re: Hopefully bass doesn't get in the way
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2012, 04:41:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Because his numbers over inflate his abilities.

I think this is true, because his numbers (blocks, boards) bely a proficiency he hasn't show in extended stretches, and the fact that he's historically played most of his 'big minute' seasons at the 5 for terrible teams only exacerbates the fact. 

His offense is putrid. I mean, he makes Perk look like a solid offense threat by comparison.

I disagree with the Perkins comparison, but maybe that was just hyperbole. Milicic is skilled as an offensive player, at least more skilled than Perkins, but his problems I think arise more from being on teams that don't get him to 'buy in' offensively, and his tendency to check out. He's got better skills than he's often showed.

And his post man defense is good but his team defense and pick and roll defense has always been below par.

Yes. But it should be noted that he's lately been on some pretty terrible NBA defensive teams, and teams in rebuilding mode/coaching flux. NYK, Minny..its not like its an ideal situation for a mentally broken underachieving center to suddenly 'find' himself.

Also, he has been known to mentally check out of long periods of the season and his effort is not there on a consistent basis.

This is pretty spot on, and the biggest worry i have about him in terms of him actually being a difference maker for us. If this hurdle can't be addressed, there isn't much room for optimism.
So IPfactchecker.org rates mr. agneta's comments as "mostly true". ;) :D ;D

Pretty much. Mostly the difference we have is whether there is room for 'some conservative optimism' and 'no optimism' about him being a legitimate back-up 5 capable of playing ~20 good minutes.
I think there is definitely some conservative optimism. Being a part of a winning program has changed the outlooks and on court results of many an NBA player. I hope he can be more than what I think he is. I just am not going to be surprised if he is a huge disappointment either.

Well then I guess I completely agree then. Darko Milicic is like a kid who got a 1500 on his SAT's but flunked out of Brown, and then got a 3.5 at a small state school for a year before getting back into partying too much. You know he's got the raw ability to succeed, and you look at that 3.5 and think, 'Yeah, he can put it together if he just knuckles down and focuses'.

That season in Orlando, that's what we're praying for. That's the ceiling. 23.5 mpg, 18.4 DReb%, 1.8 blocks, stout man defense, energetic team defense, with ample rim defense. He shot terribly, 45.4% TS, and we're not likely looking at a guy who will get 8.0 ppg on 60+ TS%, but there is some hope playing with a full season with Rondo helping him get clear looks at the hoop might help him improve his historically terrible shooting.

Of course, he had a lot of time with Rubio last season, and that was about as helpful as a third..well it wasn't really that helpful.
Awesome and very funny analogy. I still say you should start your own sports/comedy sports site. Your definitely better at it than Bill Simmons. TP.

Re: Hopefully bass doesn't get in the way
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2012, 04:58:38 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'm sure I will be lambasted by some, but I am on record saying I didn't want to resign bass.  Looking at our front court situation, I think bass should be behind guys like sully and green and Wilcox.  Darko and Collins are true centers so they don't overlap too much with bass.

We are paying bass to be at least a rotation guy, and it looks like he will start, but I kinda wish he wasn't around because have better options.
Sullinger got some wide open dunks against European defenses. Quick, stop the presses, ship Brandon Bass out of town!

Please...
Ha. This. TP.