Author Topic: jeff green vs josh smith  (Read 13994 times)

jeff green vs josh smith
« on: August 17, 2012, 02:14:31 AM »

Offline dwayne celtic

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
i really like jeff green i think he's way more talented than what he showcased throughout the last part of the 2011 season and brief playoff stint , i would really like to give him a chance since we drafted him with our 5th pick after all. I think josh smith is a little bit better though, would you trade jeff green + a few pics for josh smith in the february trade deadline window if he's available ????

Re: jeff green vs josh smith
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 02:33:33 AM »

Offline blastoidesroidsnoids

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
josh smith is 1000x better...18.8ppg 9.6 boards
yeah I'd do that trade although Id rather it be bass + melo + picks
wrong board btw

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 07:38:21 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2970
I'd take J Smith , he fits well with this Celtic lineup.

I hope a deal is in the works to trade Green for Smith to Atlanta.

Smith and KG would be awesome , they would really burn teams up inside.

Jeff Green not having a signed contract is just a bit weird to me ,. I don't care what anybody says. Something is wrong with the Jeff Green picture.
 ???

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 09:00:28 AM »

Offline Rondooooooooo

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
  • Truth Hurts
yeah this is a bit fishy that its been this long and still no deal has been signed. i was going along with the whole contract language garb before but if that was the issue i feel it woulda been resolved by now. i have an inkling that there's some kind of move in the making....but idk what.

but as the above poster said, i'd rather move bass and melo and or picks to get smith instead of moving our primary backup SF and possible heir to the truth. if we moved green who'd play backup SF? kris joseph? not ready yet. courtney lee? too small. do we sign sasha or quis?
"My name is Shaquille O'Neal, and Paul Pierce is the [expletive] truth. Quote me on that, and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 09:13:14 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
yeah this is a bit fishy that its been this long and still no deal has been signed. i was going along with the whole contract language garb before but if that was the issue i feel it woulda been resolved by now. i have an inkling that there's some kind of move in the making....but idk what.

but as the above poster said, i'd rather move bass and melo and or picks to get smith instead of moving our primary backup SF and possible heir to the truth. if we moved green who'd play backup SF? kris joseph? not ready yet. courtney lee? too small. do we sign sasha or quis?

There is no move in the making, Green can't be sign and traded.

As for trading him for Josh Smith, I just can't see why Atlanta would do that, unless Green plays incredibly well (in which case, I don't know if the C's would give him up for a rental of Smith).

Atlanta has cleared off cap space, in order to make a run at Dwight next summer...and one of the biggest draws for Dwight will be his BFF, Josh Smith.  Now, if it becomes clear Howard is not likely to come there, perhaps they could still move Smith at the deadline...but I don't expect it to be for a guy who is comparable to the guy they just jettisoned (Marvin Williams), and who the majority of people believe is being paid too much.

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 09:32:24 AM »

Offline Rondooooooooo

• Oshae Brissett
  • Truth Hurts

As for trading him for Josh Smith, I just can't see why Atlanta would do that, unless Green plays incredibly well (in which case, I don't know if the C's would give him up for a rental of Smith).

Atlanta has cleared off cap space, in order to make a run at Dwight next summer...and one of the biggest draws for Dwight will be his BFF, Josh Smith.  Now, if it becomes clear Howard is not likely to come there, perhaps they could still move Smith at the deadline...but I don't expect it to be for a guy who is comparable to the guy they just jettisoned (Marvin Williams), and who the majority of people believe is being paid too much.

im not sayin sign and trade green, im saying that since he hasn't been officially added to the roster then maybe they're tryin to make a move for another big.
"My name is Shaquille O'Neal, and Paul Pierce is the [expletive] truth. Quote me on that, and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 09:35:41 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

im not sayin sign and trade green, im saying that since he hasn't been officially added to the roster then maybe they're tryin to make a move for another big.

Well, unless they are trading Pierce or Rondo for him, that would be tough to do at that point.

I really think people are reading too much into it.  I am sure this is all about insurance...and is probably held up more by everyone taking vacations (this is always when GMs take vacations, because it is the dead period), than anything else. 

Everyone seems to agree that it is just a formality at this point, so I would not worry too much about it. 

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 09:47:33 AM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
I hope I get through the rest of my life never seeing Josh Smith in a Celtic uniform.
He's athletic and can jump high. He can defend a couple of positions. He's a streak shooter at best, and thinks he has an outside shot. Takes some really bad shots. And has some inflated numbers being the best player on a mediocre team. No thanks.

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 09:54:36 AM »

Offline Rondooooooooo

• Oshae Brissett
  • Truth Hurts

Well, unless they are trading Pierce or Rondo for him, that would be tough to do at that point.

I really think people are reading too much into it.  I am sure this is all about insurance...and is probably held up more by everyone taking vacations (this is always when GMs take vacations, because it is the dead period), than anything else. 

Everyone seems to agree that it is just a formality at this point, so I would not worry too much about it.

unless thats just what they want us to think.... ;) lol nah you're prolly right. imo i don't wanna see jeff go cause i'm very interested to see his potential given a full pre season. although at the deadline, if we can move bass & fillers/picks and whatnot for josh, i say we do it

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 10:16:45 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Im not a huge fan of Smith as a cornerstone of a team. He basically was the 3rd banana on those hawks teams for the last few years and they didn't get anywhere.

I mean I like him and would take him but not for type of money he will make.

Id rather have green as a 5th or so scoring option than Smith as a 3rd.

I just don't see what evidence there is for Smith to be one of those big 3 type players. He can make an impact defensively but as far as scoring im sure if you substitute green in for the hawks the last few years that he would generate similar scoring

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 10:30:26 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1552
Im not a huge fan of Smith as a cornerstone of a team. He basically was the 3rd banana on those hawks teams for the last few years and they didn't get anywhere.

I mean I like him and would take him but not for type of money he will make.

Id rather have green as a 5th or so scoring option than Smith as a 3rd.

I just don't see what evidence there is for Smith to be one of those big 3 type players. He can make an impact defensively but as far as scoring im sure if you substitute green in for the hawks the last few years that he would generate similar scoring
Except that he didn't.  When Green was the clear third scoring option in Oklahoma City he produced no where near the level of Josh Smith.  Every single season Josh Smith has played in the last 6 years has been better than any single season in Jeff Green's career and they are only a year apart in age. 

Josh Smith is a far superior player to Jeff Green.  It isn't close.  In fact I will make the argument that the only thing Green is better at is outside shooting (and it isn't like Green is Ray Allen from behind the arc).  That's it.  Smith is a better all around scorer, better rebounder, better passer, far better defender (in all aspects).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 10:34:00 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
He can make an impact defensively but as far as scoring im sure if you substitute green in for the hawks the last few years that he would generate similar scoring
I think Jeff Green would give you better scoring (at PF) than Josh Smith but nowhere near the defense + rebounding contributions and overall impact that Josh Smith brings to the table

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 10:43:48 AM »

Offline Rondooooooooo

• Oshae Brissett
  • Truth Hurts
He can make an impact defensively but as far as scoring im sure if you substitute green in for the hawks the last few years that he would generate similar scoring
I think Jeff Green would give you better scoring (at PF) than Josh Smith but nowhere near the defense + rebounding contributions and overall impact that Josh Smith brings to the table

josh is a better post player, jeff is a better wing player. i am still of the opinion that jeff shouldnt be at the 4 except for smaller lineups.

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 10:45:27 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Jeff Green is the better option for me.

While he's not as athletic, he can do pretty much anything Josh can outside of the shot blocking.

Scoring, check.
Play Defense, check.
Mid range game, check (maybe even better).
Versatility, check.
Will cost us 13 million dollars in the future, NO.

Jeff Green baby.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 11:46:38 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2970
I'm good with Jeff Green.(FOR NOW), he deserves a chance , and I think he will produce.

Butttttttttttttttt... 

Seems like if Jeff Green is going to be a Celtic as touted, then what in the world could be taking so long to get him officially on the team .

SURELY somebody know whats going on ?   Why is it such a military secret.  What could be so bad that , it can't be discussed or reported. ???

Everyday that he doesn't sign , the more odd the situation seems.

and the more I wish J Smith was in Boston in stead of Green.