Author Topic: kLove  (Read 11441 times)

Re: kLove
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 09:38:15 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
It would take Love demanding to be traded to Boston and no where but Boston.  Become as hated as Howard or Lebron.  Eventually force his way there with a terrible trade. 

That's how the NBA apparently works.

And I find that hard to see happening, given that he is such a West coast guy.  I think we better hope that he doesn't start demanding trades, because if he does, Dwight might be looking for a new teammate.

I didn't say it was likely, just what it would take.

Sorry, didn't mean to single out your post, I was just making the general statement.  I just don't see Boston as a likely landing spot for Love. 

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2012, 09:40:45 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
It would take Love demanding to be traded to Boston and no where but Boston.  Become as hated as Howard or Lebron.  Eventually force his way there with a terrible trade. 

That's how the NBA apparently works.

And I find that hard to see happening, given that he is such a West coast guy.  I think we better hope that he doesn't start demanding trades, because if he does, Dwight might be looking for a new teammate.

I didn't say it was likely, just what it would take.

Sorry, didn't mean to single out your post, I was just making the general statement.  I just don't see Boston as a likely landing spot for Love.

My tears are drying.   :'(

No, I think it is unlikely he ends up in Boston as well.

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2012, 12:04:00 PM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
i think boston could get him if sully and melo were showcased, along with bradley who the wolves could really use, and other assets.
Miserable players are worth less than youd think. What did the magic get for howard?
But i wouldnt do it right now.

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2012, 12:26:19 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
i think boston could get him if sully and melo were showcased, along with bradley who the wolves could really use, and other assets.
Miserable players are worth less than youd think. What did the magic get for howard?
Um, no, miserable players on an expiring contract are worth less than you think. Love, however, is fresh of his contract extension, so no - that's not going to happen, no matter how much we showcase our modest talent.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2012, 04:45:55 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I remember watching Garnet and daydreaming of him joining the Celtics/Pierce. I was sick of him wasting away on that team..at the time...  I wouldn't have believed it possible , Garnet would ever wear Celtic green. But he does and is Proud HE DOES!!!

Now deja vue again , I'm a huge Kevin Love fan , my favorite non Celtic.   I thought wen Garnet finally left the TWolves I was done watching a team I reall y cared nothig for .  Now here I'm back watch ing their games again ... thinking ...man o man ......if we only had this Kevin too...

As Garnet and Pierce retire , love to see Josh Smith and Kevin Love become Celtics.  ;)

I'm not giving up hope.     

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2012, 04:47:16 PM »

Offline AshyLarry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
  • Ashy To Classy, baby.
Love is another massively overrated new age big man who can't play defense to save his life and does nothing but sit out on the perimeter chucking up bricks.

No thanks...give me Josh Smith anyday.

Too bad Josh Smith has a tendency to "chuck," himself. And he's  nowhere near as good a shooter as Love.
My pic is now, and will be Fab Melo until he posts his first official NBA dbl-dbl. This may be permanent.

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2012, 07:41:09 PM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
Um, no, miserable players on an expiring contract are worth less than you think. Love, however, is fresh of his contract extension, so no - that's not going to happen, no matter how much we showcase our modest talent.

Yeah, but Love is still miserable. Rondo was fresh off a new super economical contract a couple years ago, was openly on the trading block, and the offers coming in were very unimpressive.

Minni is looking at JJ Barea and Buddinger as shooting guards. One's way too small and one's not quick enough laterally on defense. Bradley would be valued by that team, which doesn't have much of a defensive identity.

Most NBA observers wouldn't be shocked if Sullinger stepped in and got 14-15 ppg and 7-9 rebounds as a rookie with enough playing time. He could also be plugged right into Love's position.

Melo would need to show that he's improved considerably under KG's tutelage in the first half of the season, but by Feb I expect him to look like a clear upgrade over Steamer, to us and the league, with much more upside than Steamer.

The Wolves will probably have a decent season and this discussion will be moot. The Wolves also are not very well run, and seem to have an uncanny knack for acquiring guys that happen to be white.

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2012, 09:18:52 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Nothing that I would be willing to give up for an unathletic jump shooting big man with no post game that doesn't defend.

To be brutally honest I prefer having Sullinger right now.  He's got all of the skills Love has (though maybe not to the same degree) but I love his modest 'team first' attitude and the fact that he (unlike Love) has a post game.

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2012, 12:51:47 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
if LA can steal the league's best center from Orlando twice...then we can definitely steal Kevin away from Minny twice

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2012, 03:36:45 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Too bad Josh Smith has a tendency to "chuck," himself. And he's  nowhere near as good a shooter as Love.

Oh really?

Shooting numbers for Smith and Love...

Shot Area         | K Love        | J Smith
-------------------------------------------------
Restricted Area   | 228-390 (59%) | 252-386 (65%)
Paint (Non RA)    | 49-139 (35%)  | 61-156 (39%)
Inside (Overall)  | 277-529 (52%) | 313-542 (58%)
Mid-Range         | 92-248 (37%)  | 163-450 (36%)
Corner Three      | 8-26 (31%)    | 12-42 (29%)
Above Break Three | 97-254 (38%)  | 16-66 (24%)

* Josh Smith is clearly a better scorer inside
* From midrange and on corner threes they are basically identical
* Love is clearly better on above the break threes

Josh Smith is a shot-jacker from midrange and Love is a shot-jacker from three so it's basically a question of whether you want your big man somewhere near the rim, or standing round like a useles SOB at the top of the three point circle 20 feet from the Basket.  I know what I'd prefer...

Kevin Love's outside shooting is drastically overrated, he's a mediocre scorer inside, he's slow and unathletic and he plays NO DEFENSE. 

Josh Smith is a similarly average outside shooter but he's a quality inside scorer, he's an athletic freak, and he's on of the best defensive frontcourt players in the league (and consistent ranks among league leaders in shot blocking).   

Oh and Smith is also one of the best passing bigs in the league - his assist ratio (15.4) and Assist% (19.6%) put him up there with Kevin Garnett and Pau Gasol as one of the best passing PF's in the game.

Oh and he's also proven he can lead a team to the playoffs - it was Smith (and not the massively overrated Joe Johnson) tho led Atlanta to the playoffs last season.

Has Kevin Love even PLAYED in a playoff game?

I will take Smith over Love fifteen times over.

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2012, 03:46:31 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
CS, i really feel like you're completely underestimating Kevin Love here. Josh Smith is clearly the better finisher at the rim, but instead of looking at the %'s, look at the volume numbers.

Kevin love shooting 37%+ from behind the 3 line as a elite rebounding PF is far from mediocre, and his shot selection is clearly superior.

Offensively, he is the better player. It's not a very supportable debate, although I suppose you could argue it. It would be a losing argument, but you could do it.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2012, 05:53:28 AM »

Online freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
. . .so it's basically a question of whether you want your big man somewhere near the rim, or standing round like a useles SOB at the top of the three point circle 20 feet from the Basket.

Love lead the league in offensive boards per game and shot over 8 free throws per game.

Try again.

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2012, 09:00:35 PM »

fitzhickey

. . .so it's basically a question of whether you want your big man somewhere near the rim, or standing round like a useles SOB at the top of the three point circle 20 feet from the Basket.

Love lead the league in offensive boards per game and shot over 8 free throws per game.

Try again.

Lol burn

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2012, 10:05:25 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Those free throws add up. Love gets to the line significantly more and hits a much better percentage of his free throws.

I'm glad that you posted that, though, showing how similar their mid-range games are. The impact that Love's 40% top-of-the-key three has on the game shouldn't be overlooked, but your point that Love's overrated-but-still-better shooting should be weighed against Smith's defensive superiority is well made.

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2012, 10:07:42 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
actually I'm greedy ,  both Smith and Love are probally my two favorite none Celtics ....I WANT BOTH in Celtic Green

;D