Author Topic: 2012 Patriots Football  (Read 111784 times)

Re: 2012 Patriots Football
« Reply #195 on: September 24, 2012, 12:04:20 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Man, that was close.
Close? This was most clearly out.

Whichever way the call should have gone, I don't think it was clear cut. 

I've watched the replay a half-dozen times, and I think it was good.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #196 on: September 24, 2012, 12:06:00 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Man, that was close.

This.

« Reply #197 on: September 24, 2012, 12:07:13 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
LET DA UNIBROW COOK FLACCO OUT CHEA BIG BALLIN AFTER DA REFS TRIED ROBBIN US WOO ADRENALINE PUMPIN I AINT GOIN TO SLEEP FOR BOUT 3 HOURS RAVENS NATION WE OUT CHEA

« Reply #198 on: September 24, 2012, 12:10:27 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Man, that was close.

I don't think any part of the ball was between the uprights extended. Some part of the ball may have passed through the extended upright, but that's not enough to score the FG, is it?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #199 on: September 24, 2012, 12:14:13 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I don't think Boise St would fear the Pats right now.

« Reply #200 on: September 24, 2012, 12:17:42 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Man, that was close.

I don't think any part of the ball was between the uprights extended. Some part of the ball may have passed through the extended upright, but that's not enough to score the FG, is it?

I believe this is the NFL rule:

The entire ball must pass through the vertical plane of the goal, which is the area above the crossbar
and between the uprights or, if above the uprights, between their outside edges.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/2011_Rule_Book.pdf

So, the entire ball has to fit inside the very outside edge of the upright.  I think it did.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #201 on: September 24, 2012, 12:19:34 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Unless I'm missing the exact moment it's above the upright, to me at least a quarter of the full width of the ball is outside the edge of the upright.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #202 on: September 24, 2012, 12:21:17 AM »

Offline ben

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
well the replay is lame.  Why are there not cameras for this call?  a camera perpendicular to the uprights or a camera shooting straight up the uprights.  It is impossible to tell when the ball is crossing through the uprights from a camera at a 45angle of the endzone, ridiculous.   

« Reply #203 on: September 24, 2012, 12:23:01 AM »

Offline ben

• Al Horford
Unless I'm missing the exact moment it's above the upright, to me at least a quarter of the full width of the ball is outside the edge of the upright.

You are missing the exact moment!  there is no way to tell the exact moment so this replay is useless.  this should be a clear and dry call but the camera angle is messed up

« Reply #204 on: September 24, 2012, 12:23:10 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
well the replay is lame.  Why are there not cameras for this call?  a camera perpendicular to the uprights or a camera shooting straight up the uprights.  It is impossible to tell when the ball is crossing through the uprights from a camera at a 45angle of the endzone, ridiculous.
It's apparently not reviewable. It seem you can review whether it goes between the uprights, but not whether it goes above (I struggle to think of a case when you won't be sure whether it's gone between the uprights...)

« Reply #205 on: September 24, 2012, 12:25:16 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
(I struggle to think of a case when you won't be sure whether it's gone between the uprights...)

Don't dare the replacement refs to prove you wrong.

« Reply #206 on: September 24, 2012, 12:26:26 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
(I struggle to think of a case when you won't be sure whether it's gone between the uprights...)

Don't dare the replacement refs to prove you wrong.
Sadly, they don't really seem to need a dare...  ::)

« Reply #207 on: September 24, 2012, 12:27:51 AM »

Offline ben

• Al Horford
It's apparently not reviewable. It seem you can review whether it goes between the uprights, but not whether it goes above (I struggle to think of a case when you won't be sure whether it's gone between the uprights...)

i heard the same thing.  But it should be reviewable.  computers track tennis balls and can tell when a shot is in or out down to millimeters, football should be able to determine a field goal good or bad , its kind of important to know

« Reply #208 on: September 24, 2012, 12:37:12 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

i heard the same thing.  But it should be reviewable.  computers track tennis balls and can tell when a shot is in or out down to millimeters, football should be able to determine a field goal good or bad , its kind of important to know
Sure -- how bad can a computer be when the alternative is an overmatched high school ref? :P

In any case, that wasn't even the worst call of the evening: phantom offensive interference on Edelman, phantom "holding" call on McCourty, multiple phantom holding calls on Gronk.

Also, I wasn't aware that wrapping a pass rusher with an arm around the neck was a legal play.

« Reply #209 on: September 24, 2012, 12:46:48 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283