Author Topic: What is your favorite moment of the Olympics?  (Read 7037 times)

What is your favorite moment of the Olympics?
« on: August 12, 2012, 05:31:01 PM »

Offline DutchClutch

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 13
  • Feyenoord, Arsenal & Celtics forever!
It’s a wrap: the Olympics are finished. What stays are the memories. I was wondering: what is your favorite one and why?

Mine is Dutch gymnast Epke Zonderland winning the gold medal in the high bar competition. Holland never won an individual medal in gymnastics at the Olympics and the way he did it: amazing. When he finished his exercise, I was cheering and screaming the same way like after The Captain hit his dagger against the Heat in Game 5  ;D

I can’t find a YouTube video of it, but you can see it here:
http://nos.nl/os2012/video/404026-os-2012-gouden-oefening-epke.html

So what is the moment that you’ll never forget? And if you can find a video, be sure to add it.

Please share!

Re: What is your favorite moment of the Olympics?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 05:32:13 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
This morning, when I realized I officially never have to root for Kobe in any context ever again.   :D

Serious answer - McKayla Maroney's vault in the team competition was one of the greatest single athletic feats I've ever seen, and I'm not at all a gymnastics fan (wife likes it).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CidU2e7AOOw

NBC later superimposed this on the men's all-around champ doing the same vault.  McKayla got almost 2 feet higher than him and had better form.  Just nuts.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 05:44:19 PM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 05:49:57 PM »

Offline Lord of Mikawa

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 66
  • Anti-Lakers&Anti-Heat
Not watching the Olympics due to NBC's failed attempt at broadcasting.
Signed to a 6 year $0 contract with the Celtics Blog forum!

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 06:28:36 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I didn't watch a ton of the Games but I'd have to say Gabby Douglas' floor exercise was one highlight for sure.  She seemed to be genuinely enjoying herself, which, in light of the Russians' pout fest seemed all the more glowing.

I watched a bit of a preliminary round of women's table tennis where a 16 year old, 100-something ranked American played the match of her life and nearly beat the #2 ranked Chinese competitor.  That was good theater.
Yup

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 06:45:36 PM »

Online GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

I agree NBC did a pretty poor job this time around (Beijing was really accommodating to the US, often having marquee events early in the day there so it could be shown live in primetime here), but just because its delayed and edited doesn't mean it wasn't worth watching. They only come around a few times a decade.

There were a lot of awesome moments, as always. GBR had some great moments. Ennis winning the heptathalon. Mo Farah going double gold. Andy Murray beating FedEx.

BOLT.

USA gymnastics team gold. Phelps getting stronger and stronger as his week went on. Felix getting her gold. Soni breaking 2:20. The women's eight. David Boudia beating China in a diving event. Katie Ledecky at 15 winning the 800m free.

Many great moments, and a bunch that I am forgetting, but my favorite moment was the women's 400x100m WR, with Carmelita Jeter pointing to it as she passed the line.

Gonna miss the Olympics.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 07:05:22 PM »

Offline DutchClutch

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 13
  • Feyenoord, Arsenal & Celtics forever!

I agree NBC did a pretty poor job this time around (Beijing was really accommodating to the US, often having marquee events early in the day there so it could be shown live in primetime here), but just because its delayed and edited doesn't mean it wasn't worth watching. They only come around a few times a decade.

There were a lot of awesome moments, as always. GBR had some great moments. Ennis winning the heptathalon. Mo Farah going double gold. Andy Murray beating FedEx.

BOLT.

USA gymnastics team gold. Phelps getting stronger and stronger as his week went on. Felix getting her gold. Soni breaking 2:20. The women's eight. David Boudia beating China in a diving event. Katie Ledecky at 15 winning the 800m free.

Many great moments, and a bunch that I am forgetting, but my favorite moment was the women's 400x100m WR, with Carmelita Jeter pointing to it as she passed the line.

Gonna miss the Olympics.

Too bad I didn't see the medal ceremony of that one. 400 Americans on one podium spot, that must have been fun to watch  ;D

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 07:42:50 PM »

Online GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

BOLT.

Gonna miss the Olympics.

Too bad I didn't see the medal ceremony of that one. 400 Americans on one podium spot, that must have been fun to watch  ;D

Ha. Well worth it considering the race lasted over an hour.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 08:32:17 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
No mention of sweaty fiery competitive women with amazing bodies? :P
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 08:57:47 PM »

Offline ayer

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Carmelo anthony gets hit with a low blow... :-X ???

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 09:29:03 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103

Serious answer - McKayla Maroney's vault in the team competition was one of the greatest single athletic feats I've ever seen, and I'm not at all a gymnastics fan (wife likes it).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CidU2e7AOOw

NBC later superimposed this on the men's all-around champ doing the same vault.  McKayla got almost 2 feet higher than him and had better form.  Just nuts.

That vault in the team competition really was amazing.  It's a shame she stumbled in the individual final. 

I like a lot of the swimming events.  In fact, I usually like swimming and gymnastics best of the Olympic events.  The single best race of any type I've ever seen was the 08 4X100 freestyle relay where we overtook the French when they supposedly had the world's fastest 100M free guy.  That was an amazing race.  Nothing in this present Olympics compared to it in the stuff that I watched.

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 09:37:30 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Liked it when Bron had to be called upon to save the team from Lithuania about 2 weeks after he said they could beat the original dream team.

Liked the Kenyans winning first and third in 800m with a new wr

Liked Phelps rebounding from a 4th place finish to set major records

George Michael singing Freedom at the closing ceremony knowing that was an FU to North Korea and Syria...but people in those countries don't get to watch so it hardly matters

Russel Brand doing a Wonka thing right this second

Seeing all the British self worship in the closing ceremonies

feeling Valanciunus will be good in the NBA

All Russel Brand's hot dancers.....FU AL Queda

That North Korean lifter who said the Great Leader called down to him from Heaven and allowed him to win

Hearing N Korea whips its losers.

The South Korean fencer thing

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/10/sport/olympics-london-norden-triathlon-cas/index.html?iref=obnetwork

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2012, 09:39:12 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Watching Mo Farah of Great Britain win the 10,000 meters.  Just an absolutely electric final lap in front of a crazy pro-Britain crowd.  Gave me goosebumps. 

He ended up winning the 5,000 meters too a few days later.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2012, 09:44:34 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Apparently if you are British and you ever had a top hit in your life or any time in the past 50 years you get to be in the Olympics closing ceremony. This is going to take forever.

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2012, 09:56:14 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Oasis is fudging up Wonderwall. He clearly is sober and didn't take enough drugs the past few weeks. Idiot. This is the Olympics. He needed to raise his game and blew it.

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2012, 10:10:27 PM »

Offline LD42

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 14
What? No love for the women's soccer team? Mine favorite moment was when Alex Morgan headed home a last second goal to prevent penalty shoot out and send Canada to the bronze medal game. Unbelievable til now.