Author Topic: 2012 CB Draft Southwest Division Press Conferences  (Read 50798 times)

2012 CB Draft Southwest Division Press Conferences
« on: August 06, 2012, 07:18:30 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Here, each of the GMs representing a team in the Atlantic Division will provide an introduction / summary of their team, draft strategy, etc.  Other members should ask questions (directed to one or more GMs), and those GMs should attempt to answer the questions as well as they can.

For those participating, the opening blurbs can include some or all of the following:

1. Roster / depth chart
2. Statistics
3. Pictures
4. Statement regarding drafting philosophy (building for the future, contending now, etc.)
5. Toughest decision
6. Best move (trade, pick, etc.) / worst move
7. Your outlook for this coming season

It can be as substantial or as abbreviated as you want it to be.  These threads are open to all members, not just those posters who participated in the draft.  The more participation we get, the better.

==============================================================

Dallas Mavericks:  Edgar / Roy

Houston Rockets: nickagneta

New Orleans Hornets:  Gainesville Celtic

San Antonio Spurs: Celtic Fan Forever

Please, no questions until after midnight.  This thread should be reserved for the GMs to put up and work on their pressers until then.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 07:50:49 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: 2012 Southwest Division Press Conferences
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 07:19:57 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

DALLAS CROTONATS REUNITED
"Five players on the floor functioning as one single unit: team, team, team - no one more important that the other."

Roster:

Anderson Varejao / Robin Lopez / Joel Anthony
Lebron James / Elton Brand
Jeff Green / Mike Dunleavy / Linas Kleiza
Thabo Sefolosha / Ben Gordon
Kyrie Irving / Aaron Brooks / Keyon Dooling

Front office:

General Manager: Edgar
Co-General Manager: Roy Hobbs
Head Coach: Larry Bird
Assistant Coaches: Frank Vogel & staff

PlayerPositionDraftedAgeHeightPointsReboundsAssistsBlocksStealseFG%3PT%
Lebron JamesSF / PF1st (1)276'9"27.17.96.40.81.9.554.362
Kyrie Irving*PG1st (18 )206'2"18.53.75.40.41.1.517.399
Anderson Varejao*C / PF3rd (22)296'10"10.811.51.70.71.4.514.000
Elton BrandPF / C3rd (23)336'9"11.07.21.61.61.0.494.000
Ben GordonSG / PG5th (10)296'3"12.52.32.40.20.7.501.429
Jeff GreenSF / PF6th (1)256'10"15.25.61.80.40.8.482.304
Robin LopezC7th (3)247'0"5.43.30.30.90.3.461.000
Thabo SefoloshaSG / SF7th (4)286'5"4.83.01.10.40.9.532.437
Mike DunleavySF / SG9th (4)316'9"12.33.72.10.10.5.557.399
Joel AnthonyPF / C6th (12)266'9"3.43.90.11.30.6.559.000
Linas KleizaSF / PF10th (21)276'8"9.74.10.90.50.1.478.346
Aaron BrooksPG11th (8 )276'0"9.61.14.20.00.5.485.328
Keyon DoolingPG12th (13)326'3"4.00.81.10.00.3.488.333
* player acquired in trade

Introducing The CrotoNats Reunited:

Lebron James -- There's probably no need to spend a lot of time on Lebron James.  He's the MVP and the Finals MVP.  He was huge in the playoffs.  He came up clutch repeatedly in the Finals. 

Concerned about him playing PF?  He played 24% of Miami's total minutes at that position, and dominated the opposition.  He had a ridiculous 37.1 PER there while outrebounding and outshooting opposing PFs.  He also more than doubled the scoring of the players he was guarding.

Kyrie Irving -- Kyrie Irving is disgustingly good.  He was a 19 year old rookie last year, and yet he scored at a rate very similar to Russell Westbrook and Derrick Rose.  He was near the top of the league for PGs in FG% and 3PT%.  Oh, and he was statistically the most clutch player in the entire NBA.

Is he ready?  Yeah, yeah he is.  He improved as the season went on; in March, he averaged 19.9 points, 5.0 assists, 6.7 assists, 41.3% 3PT%, and 45.8% FG%.  Those are all-star numbers, which is where you'll find Irving next year. 

Anderson Varejao -- What's the ideal center for a Lebron James team?  A hustle guy who loves to rebound and play defense, and who has great chemistry with Lebron?  A guy who gets under opponents' skin and who is mentally and physically tough?  A guy who has played deep into the playoffs, and who has Finals experience?  All of those things are Anderson Varejao.

Jeff Green -- Green has proven that he can play very well in an offense with an elite SF and a dominant PG.  Young, athletic, and versatile, Green is a perfect option in this offense.  He's shown the ability to shoot from outside, he's got a very refined post game, he can hit the mid-range J.  He can stretch the offense out.  He's a nice defender, especially against SFs, and offensively he creates mismatches.

Thabo Sefolosha -- The player we probably received the most inquires on in this process was Thabo Sefolosha.  Why?  Because people recognize what he can do.  Thabo was statistically the best perimeter defender in the NBA last year.  In the playoff, he guarded Tony Parker, Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade, and Lebron James, and he guarded all of them well.  He also added an elite-level three point shot last year, and he's always been a solid rebounder.

Elton Brand -- We'll defer to Kevin Pelton of Basketball Prospectus here:

Brand meets every criteria for Defensive Player of the Year. He plays for an elite defense and his Synergy numbers are outstanding (at 0.67 points per possession to roll men, he's second to Garnett, and he was second among the big men I looked at with 0.59 points allowed per post-up). Brand is a little behind Garnett in box-score defensive stats and RAPM value, but the gap between the two is narrow.

Brand's defense -- in the post, defending the pick-and-roll, and overall -- is being compared favorably to Kevin Garnett's.  Let that sink in.  He's also a good rebounder and a nice floor-stretcher; he was more efficient on jump shots than Chris "Ru Paul" Bosh, for instance.  Playing with Lebron makes him even more valuable.

Ben Gordon -- Picking Ben Gordon in the top half of the fifth round was a risk, but one that paid off for us.  Gordon quietly had a very solid year last year, averaging 16.7 points per 36 minutes, and shooting 42.9% from three

Robin Lopez -- Varejao + Lopez is going to make a colorful front line at times.  This kid is young, has great size -- a true 7'0" -- and is the new starting center on the "real" Hornets.  He's a high energy player, a good rebounder, a good defender, and a competent scorer.

Mike Dunleavy -- Yet another ultra-efficient CrotoNat with great size and shooting ability.  In fact, Dunleavy ranked 11th in the entire league in points scored per possession.  He ranked 10th in spotting up, 17th off screens, 16th on handoffs, and 21st in transition.  Dunleavy should be starting.  Instead, he's providing us with amazing depth.

Joel Anthony -- All Joel Anthony does is win championships.  Well, one at least.  All Joel Anthony really does is play great defense.  He's the epitome of a role player who works hard and does dirty work.

Aaron Brooks -- Another spark plug off the bench, Brooks has shown that he can score -- 19.6 points and 39.8% 3PT% in 2010 -- and can run an offense.  We'll fill out backup PG slot by committee, and Brooks is an excellent option there.

Keyon Dooling -- Dooling showed what he can do in last year's playoffs, when he played great defense and shot 39.3% from 3PT, with an overall eFG% of .552.  It's not a fluke, either; Dooling has consistently stepped his game up in the playoffs, where over his career he's a 38.4% 3PT shooter and has a career .519 eFG%.  Plus, he's a proven leader in the locker room.

Linas Kleiza -- Want to know something interesting about Linas Kleiza?  He was the #1 post defender in the entire NBA last year, shutting down opposing PFs and SFs who were stupid enough to try to post him.  Overall, he was the 29th best defender in the NBA in terms of points allowed per possession.  He's an excellent rebounder and shooter.  Oh, and he just dropped 25 points on the US Olympic Team, so we all know the dude can score.

Coach:  Larry Bird (Frank Vogel)

Larry Bird is fourth all-time in winning percentage as a head coach.  Vogel has the Pacers in the top ten in both offensive and defensive rating this year.  Together, they'll make beautiful music together.

The Game Plan

So, our strategy was basically one word:  "Lebron".  No, not really, but building a contender around Lebron is pretty much a no-brainer.  Still, we had a plan that was more than "fill out the roster with big names".  Rather, we wanted to draft certain types of players who have been proven to help teams win.

Robert Ayers wrote a research paper on the most effect two- and three-player combinations in terms of winning.  His findings were summarized by ESPN.com:

Ayers found the two-player combination that had the greatest positive effect on wins was a versatile, 3-point shooting wing with a high-scoring, high-rebounding center. Throw in a high-scoring, high-usage point guard and you have the most effective three-player combination.

In all, four combinations of three different categories had statistically significant positive impacts on a team’s performance. Of those four combinations, three featured a versatile, 3-point shooting wing -- think Paul Pierce. Now take a moment and try to count how many players in the league fit that mold. For this group, we’d be talking about players clustered around a per-game stat line of roughly 16-4-4, shooting about 37 percent from the field. Only nine players in the league this season are approaching that stat line, and only four -- James Harden, LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Luol Deng -- are wings. That particular player type fits very well with many other different combinations of players, but finding one that’s suitably talented to help lead a team is exceedingly rare. Scarcity is often the limiting factor in achieving fit.

We had the versatile wing in Lebron.  We knew we needed to find a second scorer to put beside him, and we knew we needed a strong point guard.  Thus, the original decision to draft Steph Curry.  However, we saw an opportunity to improve our team by moving Curry, which led us to subsequently build around the Lowry/Granger/Lebron core.  At the time, surrounding Lebron with good shooters and big "names" seemed like a strong strategy. 

To make a long story short, an opportunity presented itself to acquire Kyrie Irving, and we jumped on it.  Irving is a high-usage point guard who shoots amazingly efficiently.  He's the perfect fit next to Lebron, and that acquisition completed our team.  We took another lesson from Ayers in filling out the rest of the roster.  He noted that players who players who shoot 5.5 3PT attempts per 40 minutes, hit 35.7% of those threes, and who average 5.3 assists per 40 minutes are commonly found on winning teams.  There have been a total of 28 such seasons over the last three years.  The Mavericks own two of the players who have had such a season, Aaron Brooks and Keyon Dooling.

That's without getting into our strong defense (we drafted three members of Basketball Prospectus' All-Defense team), or our clutch performers, or our ultra-efficient play.  Lebron + interior defense + perimeter defense + Irving + shooters.  That's going to be a tough team to beat.

The Rotation:

We're completely leaving this up to Coach Bird and Coach Vogel.  How many minutes are our guys going to play?  I have no idea.  As many as needed to put our team in the best position to win.  We expect all 13 guys to get playing time over the course of the season.

In terms of lineups, there are dozens we can run out there and still be effective.  There's the base lineup:

Varejao
Lebron
Green
Thabo
Irving

There's our best offensive lineup:

Brand
Lebron
Green or Dunleavy
Gordon
Irving

There's our traditional lineup:

Varejao
Brand
Lebron
Thabo or Gordon
Irving

Our team has the versatility to create matchup nightmares for any team in this league.

Is Lebron Playing PF For Reals?

He is.  Or at least, in the playoffs he will for large stretches.  He's the best PF in the game.  We'll limit his minutes there during the regular season, and he'll play plenty of SF regardless, but the guy is capable of playing the position at an elite level.

We do love the versatility of this squad.  We'll show lineups where the frontline is Lebron / Brand.  We'll have lineups where our 2-3-4 are 6'9" Dunleavy, 6'10" Green, and 6'9" Lebron.  Even when we go "small", our guys still are equal or bigger than most opponents.

By the way, it looks like the real life Heat might be following this strategy.  Here's Pat Riley this week:

Quote from: Pat Riley
We have proven that with LeBron playing at the four spot, so to speak, that we're so much better as a basketball team than we are with a conventional center and power forward.

Best Move:

Kyrie Irving for Kyle Lowry + 6th Rounder (Thomas Robinson).  I don't think this trade was horrible for Yoki, as Lowry is still young and Lowry could have been a nice piece to help teach his young guys how to play.  T-Rob would have fit well into that core, too.  For us, though, this was a game-changer. 

Worst move:

I liked all of our draft picks.  The one that will get the most criticism is the pick of Ben Gordon.  However, Gordon is a great sixth man (who has willingly accepted that role), he still scores at a good rate, and he's amazingly efficient.  He's a great shooter who has a history of making big playoff shots when they count. 

That said, I will note that the two picks we might have changed at the last minute were two picks where we submitted a list.  Those are the Gordon selection, and the choice of Robin Lopez.  We're happy with both, but we could have easily gone in another direction if we'd gotten a chance to see the talent on the board.

"The [Voided] Trade":

... in which we traded Thabo Sefolosha (a player we love), Aaron Brooks, and Tyler Zeller for Tyreke Evans, J.J. Redick and Reggie Evans.

I'm not even going to try to justify it.  There was no collusion there, but I think nick made a really bad trade, and I'm glad that all parties agreed to void it.  This is a game, and we'd rather not ruin others' enjoyment of it.

Strengths:
  • The best two-man combo in the NBA on offense.
  • Excellent shooting
  • Amazing efficiency
  • Elite athleticism
  • Lock down defenders
  • Guys who come up big in the clutch
  • Role players who are used to coming off the bench
Weaknesses:

I've got nothing.

The Trump Card:

Lebron is learning from Larry Legend.  Come on, folks, that's unfair.

Outlook:

Championship or bust.  This team is built to win now, and that's what it should do.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 06:36:27 AM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: 2012 CB Draft Southwest Division Press Conferences
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 09:57:20 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

HOUSTON BOXERS

ROSTER

Player                                        Age      Height     Weight       Position
Jeremy Lin                                 23           7-0          200              PG
Rodrique Beaubois                 24           6-2          185            PG/SG
Austin Rivers                             20           6-4         200            PG/SG
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist             18           6-7         232            SG/SF
Courtney Lee                             26           6-5         200               SG
Harrison Barnes                      20            6-8         210               SF
Serge Ibaka                               22         6-10         235              PF
Kenneth Faried                         22           6-8         228            SF/PF
Donatas Montiejunas              21           7-0          222           PF/C
John Henson                            21           6-11         220             PF
Jonas Montiejunas                  20           6-11        230              C
Ekpe Udoh                                26            6-10        245           PF/C
Chris Anderson                        34           6-10        228              C

TEAM SYNOPSIS

I imagine I could go into tremendous depth talking about each and every member of the team, telling you all about their achievements, few as they are, statistics, abilities, and their vast potential. I imagine I could discuss my starting team, my offensive and defensive schemes, my planned rotations, my depth charts and the amount of minutes each player will receive. I imagine I could discuss at length the expected positive results that will happen, the best case scenario regarding wins and losses and a whole bunch of other stuff that would put a positive spin on this team.

But I'm not.

The Boxers are what they are. They are young. They are LOADED with raw NBA talent. And they stand ZERO chance of doing anything more than receiving enough votes to finish just ahead of Philadelphia as the worst team in the league, and that's only because Philadelphia's GM quit.

It is what it is.

But I love this team and in 3 or 4 or 5 years I think this team will have had as many as 6 players being or on the cusp of being All-Stars and would ultimately be considered the greatest collection of talent in the CB Draft this year.

But for now they are young and inexperience and unproven. So be it. Sometimes you just are what you are.

QUESTIONS/ANSWERS

I figured I would get some fairly obvious questions so here are the answers to them:

Why did you blow your team up given the fact that the team was a lot better than this team?

Easy. I didn't like that team and due to a major lack of attention to the game in the first week, the week when CB Draft championships are won and lost, I stood no chance of getting beyond the second round of the playoffs. I also disliked my team. Last year I liked my team but it was centered around LeBron James, a player I loathe, and I spent the entire time defending him and talking up his greatness and it did me no good. I hated doing that and that team still lost.

I wasn't going to do that two years in a row. So I made the decision to go for Team of the Future and trade for a bunch of players I really liked and could talk up ad nauseum and defend them like crazy in the Team of the Future voting thread.

If building a Team of the Future, why did you trade away players such as Tyreke Evans and Russell Westbrook and Paul George?

I traded them away because they are established young stars and together, with some other okay parts, they could have landed me in the playoffs and hence, ineligible for Team of the Future. And again, those players are great players in my opinion but not necessarily players I like. I also didn't love the chemistry. For those players to excel they needed a player like Rondo at the point, not Westbrook. So I blew it up.

What were you thinking with some of your trades? We thought you a better GM than that?

Again, it came down to getting worse to be eligible for the Team of the Future voting but also to get extremely young talent and talent I liked. The Boxers may not be great, but they have the tools to play Boxer basketball which consist of defense and rebounding and toughness while playing smart basketball. These players are big, long, athletic, have great BBIQ, and all are fairly good to elite defenders. I love what I did even though most think I lost in trades, I think I won. I got long term, untapped potential and control some of the best talent coming out of this last year's draft, one of the deepest ever.

Jonas Valanciunas in the 5th round? Really?

Okay, I made a mistake. IP and a couple of other GMs picked up on it. I drafted the wrong guy. I was thinking of Montiejunas, a player that impressed the hell out of me while watching the Vegas Summer League and I couldn't remember his name. After a few days lying on the beach and imbibing much alcohol, I came back unprepared and after a quick Google search, came up with the wrong Lithuanian big man.

That said, one GM would have taken Valanciunas just one pick later so the pick couldn't be that bad. Could it?

If the vetoes didn't happen do you feel you would have better or worse off?

Honestly, I probably wouldn't have been able to get the amount of young talent that I did overall but I still think I would have been in a great position for team of the future.

A little history regarding the background of those trades. IP had been working on landing Westbrook and Gortat for a long time even offering up a super package of Wade/Haywood/Young/Jack and a 12th rounder for Westbrook/Gortat/Chalmers/Reddick/Montiejunas. But at the time I still hadn't decided to go for TOTF and doing that trade would have been at best, a sidestep for me or even a step back given I think Haywood is done and bad. It also would have guaranteed IP the championship because a team of Westbrook/Redick/Pierce/Bosh/Gortat/Chalmers/Montiejunas/Holiday/Splitter/Parsons would probably beat any team anyone could have put together. So I didn't do it.

Once I decided to go for TOTF, I knew Westbrook couldn't get me the package of youth I wanted but did know that Melo could so I did that trade and then moved Melo for the youth. With the youth I had I thought Vucevic and Splitter great big additions behind the Lithuanians and Holiday an upgrade over Lin. IP was getting the best of me there but he wore me down. I kid you not he must have sent me 20 different proposals regarding Gortat or Gortat/Westbrook. He was working that on me for days.

And the other trade went quick but it got rid of a player I just don't like even though I acknowledge his talent, Tyreke, and a player I just don't think is that good in Redick. I got players I do like. A lot. Thabo is an elite defender and I have always liked him. I think Zeller will be a very solid pro and Brooks a very solid if not elite backup PG or PG tandem with Holiday.

The trades had no conspiratorial agenda behind them to make the best teams better but, they were, what I considered the best trade proposals I was getting for those guys. Gotta admit, while low ball offers are a part of the game, they kinda got a bit ridiculous this year and since I wasn't very active in trying to move the guys myself, the offers I was getting were not good. So I took what I could get.

And after all that, I think the vetoes may have had a David Stern/Chris Paul/New Orleans veto effect for the Boxers with everything working out best in the end for everybody, including the league. Now if only I can get the commish to ensure I get the #1 pick next year, it will be exactly like the David Stern veto.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 11:56:36 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 08:14:19 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Houston, what is the a) ceiling, b) floor, and c) realistic projection for each of Lin, Rivers, MKG, Montiejunas, Barnes, and Valanciunas?  Is there a potential super-duper-star in that bunch?  Is Harrison Barnes still on your team? 

Also, when did Jeremy Lin grow to 7'0"? ;)

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 08:17:22 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Dallas,  Do you believe the real-gm poster saying that he has sources saying jeff green hasnt signed because of renewed concerns with his heart is really just an elaborate ploy out of Chicago to sabotgae your team?
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 08:21:07 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Dallas,  Do you believe the real-gm poster saying that he has sources saying jeff green hasnt signed because of renewed concerns with his heart is really just an elaborate ploy out of Chicago to sabotgae your team?

Haha.  I have an email in to RealGM to track that user's IP address. 

But no, that guy is posting nonsense, as noted in the thread on that topic.  Jeff Green is working out, playing basketball, and feeling really good.  This is the type of injury that once it's repaired, it's repaired.

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 08:33:11 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Dallas- Tell me why you are better than the Lebron lead cav teams? 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 08:39:40 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Dallas- Tell me why you are better than the Lebron lead cav teams?

• 2012 Lebron is a much better player than 2010 Lebron.  It might not show statistically, but Lebron dominates games -- especially in the fourth quarter -- in a way and with a consistency that he didn't before.
  • Those Cavs had nobody nearly as good as Kyrie Irving
  • Those Cavs didn't have the interior defense that the Mavs do
  • Those Cavs didn't have the shooting, or the versatility, or the athleticism of Dallas
  • Mike Brown was too stupid to exploit the mismatch of Lebron versus power forwards
  • Delonte West won't be a distraction, much to Edgar's chagrin ;)
  • Those teams didn't have a great perimeter defender outside of Lebron

Lebron + Irving + shooting + defense + versatility.  Those Cavs teams were always very good, which shows the dominance of Lebron.  I mean, a one man team was competitive with a team featuring KG / Rondo / Pierce / Ray.  Lebron has a different mentality now, and he's got more talent around him.

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 08:41:12 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Since you are under oath, which team was better Nick and I's lebron team last year or yours this year?  I want the truth!

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 08:47:26 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Since you are under oath, which team was better Nick and I's lebron team last year or yours this year?  I want the truth!

Your team should have won last year, but as mentioned above, 2012 Lebron is a different player than 2011 Lebron.  We now know that he's got a killer instinct in the playoffs, and that he's going to rip other teams apart.

In terms of our team versus yours, it's tough, if only because we know that your team had some injury issues, thrusting Brandon Jennings into a starting role.  I'd take our team because I think that Kyrie Irving is the best player ever placed next to Lebron in one of these games, but I can respect you feeling the opposite.

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 08:48:00 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

• Those Cavs had nobody nearly as good as Kyrie Irving
[/b]
    Mo williams 08-09 is pretty close to what Kyrie Did last year, what type of jump statistically are you looking for out of Kyrie?

Mo - 17.8 PPg, 3.4 rpg, 4.1 apg, 2.51 to, .467 FG%, .436 3%, .912 Ft%

Kyrie - 18.5 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 5.4 apg, 3.1 to, .469 fg%, .399 3%, .872 ft%[/list]

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 08:53:08 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
    • James Naismith
    Mo williams 08-09 is pretty close to what Kyrie Did last year, what type of jump statistically are you looking for out of Kyrie?

Those stats for Mo show the "Lebron effect".  Mo became a better scorer and much better outside shooter when playing next to Lebron, due to all the open looks he got.  Obviously, Irving was the #1 option for the Cavs last year, and his numbers are still better.

As for next year, I think you start with Irving's March numbers:

19.9 points, 5.0 rebounds, 6.7 assists, 45.8% FG%, 41.3% 3PT%

Then, consider that that was done in 32 minutes.  Give him a boost up to the 36 / 38 minute range, and adjust for second year growth, and I think you're looking at:

22.5 points, 5.4 rebounds, 7.5 assists, 47% FG%, 42% 3PT%.

... all while being super-clutch.

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 09:14:34 AM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
    • Tommy Points: 300
    Question for Dallas:

What's up with Kyrie Irvings defense? Why was he so bad last year in that respect?

I just jumped on to synergy and was very suprised to see him ranked so poorly accross the board.  His post-defense numbers are impressive, but other than that...yuck...

Question for Houston:

I mean i guess when you aquire every single player under the age of 21 then you have a lock on team of the future, but wouldn't it makes sense to have actual vets hanging around? Maybe someone who has actually accomplished something OTHER than best tattoo/skin surface ratio?

I guess i just have concerns for a locker room of a dozen 21 year olds with millions of dollars running around Texas...but then again i'm a worrier.

DKC Utah Jazz
    http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
    Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 09:19:50 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
    • James Naismith
    • Tommy Points: 2756
    • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Those stats for Mo show the "Lebron effect".  Mo became a better scorer and much better outside shooter when playing next to Lebron, due to all the open looks he got.  Obviously, Irving was the #1 option for the Cavs last year, and his numbers are still better.

As for next year, I think you start with Irving's March numbers:

19.9 points, 5.0 rebounds, 6.7 assists, 45.8% FG%, 41.3% 3PT%

Then, consider that that was done in 32 minutes.  Give him a boost up to the 36 / 38 minute range, and adjust for second year growth, and I think you're looking at:

22.5 points, 5.4 rebounds, 7.5 assists, 47% FG%, 42% 3PT%.

... all while being super-clutch.

I think you're mis-reading the "LeBron Effect". Bosh's and Wade's scoring numbers both dropped when they paired up with LeBron. Even Mo Williams went from 17 pp36 to 18pp36 then back down to 17pp36.

He seems to make role players look good, but higher-talent players seem to have their biggest jump being in 'games won' statistically.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
    like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 09:51:05 AM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
    • Tommy Points: 1331
    • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
    Holy Schnikees... I thought my presser was tomorrow for some reason, i guess i'll get to writing it.

For now you can listen to our team band, Dikembe as i will be as I type   :-[
    GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!