Author Topic: Jeffrey Ross - Comedy Central Roast - Dressed like Paterno  (Read 12526 times)

Jeffrey Ross - Comedy Central Roast - Dressed like Paterno
« on: August 06, 2012, 08:08:33 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Not only was he dressed like Paterno, he walked the red carpet with two young men in football helmets and towels around their waist and no other clothing.  He then proceeded to make two separate Aurora massacre jokes, while still dressed like Paterno during his portion of the roast.  Will this affect his career in any manner.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/08/05/jeffrey-ross-joe-paterno-aurora-roseanne-roast/
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 09:30:28 AM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Jeffrey Ross - Comedy Central Roast - Dressed like Paterno
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 08:29:56 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Well i guess I know his name now, I recognize his face but honestly had no idea who he was just by reading your post. 

I would say this is probably just a guy trying to be extreme to grab some attention.  Nothing to see here.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 09:20:54 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Not only was he dressed like Paterno, he walked the red carpet with two young men in football helmets and towels around their waste and no other clothing.  He then proceeded to make two separate Aurora massacre jokes, while still dressed like Paterno during his portion of the roast.  Will this affect his career in any manner.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/08/05/jeffrey-ross-joe-paterno-aurora-roseanne-roast/

Eh, this is kind of what he does.  He is very possibly the most offensive comedian there is.  And he has made a career of it.  He is a niche guy anyways.  He is a comedian's comedian (which is why he is really only seen during roasts), and comedian's are generally not easily offended.

My guess is he will continue to be basically the writer and roaster he has always been, and generally ignored by the public.

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 09:35:29 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Not only was he dressed like Paterno, he walked the red carpet with two young men in football helmets and towels around their waste and no other clothing.  He then proceeded to make two separate Aurora massacre jokes, while still dressed like Paterno during his portion of the roast.  Will this affect his career in any manner.

Eh, this is kind of what he does.  He is very possibly the most offensive comedian there is.  And he has made a career of it.  He is a niche guy anyways.  He is a comedian's comedian (which is why he is really only seen during roasts), and comedian's are generally not easily offended.

My guess is he will continue to be basically the writer and roaster he has always been, and generally ignored by the public.
I know this is what he does, but this is to an extreme that he hasn't even gone to.  The Paterno thing doesn't bother me really, but multiple jokes about the Aurora shooting already is very very poor form (and the jokes weren't even funny, which is much much worse).

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 09:38:38 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Last time he was dressed as Moammar Gadhafi (SP?).

Not really shocked here. He's a pretty crappy comedian though, as he gets older he gets more weird and more bitter, and goes to further lengths to get attention.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 09:40:24 AM »

Offline Lord of Mikawa

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 66
  • Anti-Lakers&Anti-Heat
Not only was he dressed like Paterno, he walked the red carpet with two young men in football helmets and towels around their waist and no other clothing.  He then proceeded to make two separate Aurora massacre jokes, while still dressed like Paterno during his portion of the roast.  Will this affect his career in any manner.

Not right at all.
Signed to a 6 year $0 contract with the Celtics Blog forum!

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 09:42:11 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

I know this is what he does, but this is to an extreme that he hasn't even gone to.  The Paterno thing doesn't bother me really, but multiple jokes about the Aurora shooting already is very very poor form (and the jokes weren't even funny, which is much much worse).

Eh, I could go look for specifics if you really want, but I know he has made similarly offensive jokes in the past.  He likes making the audience uncomfortable. 

My guess is he has made plenty of jokes about Columbine, 9/11, the Holocaust, and anything else that most would deem off-limits.

He would never make it as a mainstream comic because of it, but that edge is what has given him the career he has. 

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 09:44:22 AM »

Offline illestmcsgt

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
See this is where the ignorance becomes more of disrespect. It's highly offensive, how do you think his family and friends feel that they are making jokes about him. It's cowardly to do this after he just died and spent 50 years at Penn State. This is how Joe Pa will be remembered for idiots like Ross who think they are funny. Not only that, but it's like he's laughing in the faces of the victims for what happened. Worst comedian ever why do people hire this idiot?

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 09:56:03 AM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
"Joe pa" apologists, really?gag. You deserve to be offended. This is what Ross does, and its very funny especially on these roasts

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 10:00:02 AM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
See this is where the ignorance becomes more of disrespect. It's highly offensive, how do you think his family and friends feel that they are making jokes about him. It's cowardly to do this after he just died and spent 50 years at Penn State. This is how Joe Pa will be remembered for idiots like Ross who think they are funny. Not only that, but it's like he's laughing in the faces of the victims for what happened. Worst comedian ever why do people hire this idiot?

whats offensive is you caring about "Joe pa" and what his family thinks...what was like laughing in the face of the victims was "joe pa" covering up the most despicable of all acts. Jefferey Rodd is not the idiot here, "joe pa" even in his death is.
Why didnt they fire the idiot long ago

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 10:13:25 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Who ever said comedians were brave?  It's entertainment.  He is a jester. 

I personally think comedians can never cross a line.  It doesn't exist for them, when it is part of their act.  The ticket sales will determine whether they are doing their job, not whether some people are offended or not.  Because frankly, it is generally not comedy if SOMEONE isn't offended  (at least as far as stand up goes). 

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 02:35:25 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Comedy Central will not air the joke.  Ross also acknowledged he crossed the line but that is what roasts are for.

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 04:31:15 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Yeah this is what he does. Takes current tragedies that are relative in main stream media and he tries to use the shock value to get laughs and get recognized. Maybe some people get a laugh out of it, it just makes him a cold hearted Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again.. I'm sure he hates himself for having to try and get laughs this way but this is what his career has been "made" out of. He knows he is worthless and I wouldn't be surprised if he followed a similar path of his roast master buddy Greg giraldo ( whom he made fun of shortly after his death).

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 04:35:00 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Comedy Central will not air the joke.  Ross also acknowledged he crossed the line but that is what roasts are for.

They'll show Gilbert Gottfried saying in October 2001, in NYC, that he couldn't get a direct flight because they had to make a stop at the Empire State Building, but not this? 

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 04:42:25 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

They'll show Gilbert Gottfried saying in October 2001, in NYC, that he couldn't get a direct flight because they had to make a stop at the Empire State Building, but not this?

Yeah I wouldn't expect comedy central to pull anything.