Author Topic: Gonzo, Beckett, Crawford Mega Deal (merged threads)  (Read 19057 times)

Re: Baseball/Red Sox Trade Deadline Thread
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2012, 10:29:40 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I hate that trade. I really, really do. I hate it!

PS: I'm a Giants fan.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2012, 10:32:53 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Sox definitely needed a culture change. The team had become so hate able.

Tough seeing Gonzalez go, though. That type of production isn't easily replaced.  Beckett and Crawford needed the change of scenery.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2012, 10:37:13 AM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
I love it.

With our newfound money, let's resign Papi and Ellsbury. Get a quality pitcher to go with Lester (who I believe is getting out of his funk) and Buchholz. Get a big bat, like Hamilton, and fill out the rest of the spots with young guys.

Order:
1. Ellsbury, CF
2. Ciriaco, SS
3. Pedroia, 2B
4. Hamilton, LF
5. Ortiz, DH
6. Middlebrooks, 3B
7. Ross, RF
8. Lavarnway, C
9. Somebody, 1B

Rotation: Lester, Buchholz, Somebody, Somebody, Somebody
NO LACKEY OR MATSUZAKA!!

I'd like that team a heck of a lot more than this year's team.

EDIT: Oh, and get Tek to coach :)

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2012, 10:54:20 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Sox definitely needed a culture change. The team had become so hate able.

Tough seeing Gonzalez go, though. That type of production isn't easily replaced.  Beckett and Crawford needed the change of scenery.

That's the price you have to pay to get rid of the other contracts, unfortunately.

Not sure how I feel about Hamilton.  Do you want to make a guy with that much baggage one of the centerpieces of your rebuilding efforts?  I'm not sure they do.  Again, I'm happy to go through a full rebuild, I'd rather they didn't spend the money just because they have it unless it's a [dang]-near perfect fit. 

Re-sign Ellsbury. 

Not sure about Papi; is he going to start Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ing and moaning now that the team's taking a step back? 

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2012, 10:59:36 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I'm a mets fan and the dodgers make out like bandits in this trade. Living in sox nation it's tough to see the sox struggle but it's time for a change
Of scenery with these guys. Sox need a shake up. But man, if these guys play to their potential the magic Johnson and the dodgers have had one heck of a season.

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2012, 11:01:22 AM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
Not sure how I feel about Hamilton.  Do you want to make a guy with that much baggage one of the centerpieces of your rebuilding efforts?  I'm not sure they do.  Again, I'm happy to go through a full rebuild, I'd rather they didn't spend the money just because they have it unless it's a [dang]-near perfect fit.

For the most part I feel the same way, but we need a big bat, and he's one of the best available. And I don't think his baggage is visible in the clubhouse. He's a truly devoted player who gives 100%, and that's what we need around here. Get a REAL coach (sorry Bobby) to keep him in line.

Re-sign Ellsbury.

Boy, they better.

Not sure about Papi; is he going to start ****ing and moaning now that the team's taking a step back?

I think he wants a big contract of 3-4 years. He'll probably get it, and in that case, he will be happy.

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2012, 11:06:20 AM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
Also, here's a great article summing up what we got back.

Y'know, besides the $260m :)

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/08/25/look-who-red-sox-acquired/mcgK8tja25kR9rsDThyMMK/story.html

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2012, 11:10:45 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176

For the most part I feel the same way, but we need a big bat, and he's one of the best available. And I don't think his baggage is visible in the clubhouse. He's a truly devoted player who gives 100%, and that's what we need around here. Get a REAL coach (sorry Bobby) to keep him in line.

He relapsed just this past February.  Not sure it's worth the risk for the kind of long-term contract he's going to command.  He's what, 31 years old now, but with how he's abused his body that's an old 31.  I'd just rather take a pass, let somebody else assume that risk.  Remember how tough it was to watch Vin Baker?

EDIT:  I'd also say, there isn't a coach in the world that can keep an alcoholic from his drink.  The player's got to be the one fighting the battle, the coach isn't with him 24/7 and it's not fair to the other 24 players if he's trying to be.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 12:24:08 PM by the_Bird »

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2012, 11:19:17 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I see both sides of things here. 

On one hand, baseball is a sport that this can actually work out quite well for the Sox.  They get some prospects and now they can directly go out and spend all that money this offseason (or next offseason, or whenever) to directly get new superstars.  That doesn't work in sports like basketball that has a soft salary cap. 

On the other hand, I think the Sox woes are somewhat exaggerated this season.  Don't get me wrong, it's been painful to watch at times, particularly the past week or so; however, if they had had better health, I could see them at the .500 mark right now, contending for a wild card spot.  If they had better health and played in another division besides the AL East, I could see them contending for a division title. 

Now that doesn't mean they aren't a flawed team, but it also doesn't mean the sky is falling quite as badly as some people might think.  As much as Beckett has p---ed me off this year, this fluctuation in performance is quite normal for him, as he's alternated having great years and bad years for the past 4-5 years now.  It's entirely reasonable to expect that not only will he do well in LA, but that he could've done well here next year too.  Carl Crawford was also showing signs of bouncing back this year. 

All that said, I do like the idea of redistributing the money though.  Dan Duquette always talked about wanting to invest money in the middle of the field (SS, 2B, CF, P, C).  His reasoning was that those positions were the hardest to get offensive power out of (and pitching is obviously very important).  In other words, it's fairly easy to find an average 1B who can hit 20 homers; it's not so easy to find a SS who can do it.  Same with RF in comparison to CF and so on. 

So as much as I love Gonzalez, I do like the idea freeing up some of that money (and the Crawford and Beckett money) to reinvest in pitching and perhaps finally get a SS to replace Nomar. 

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2012, 12:03:09 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
This is a huge, huge trade for the Sox. It'll be interesting to see what they do with all their money in the offseason. Hopefully they don't just go out and spend it all and create the same problem again.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2012, 12:25:27 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80
This is a huge, huge trade for the Sox. It'll be interesting to see what they do with all their money in the offseason. Hopefully they don't just go out and spend it all and create the same problem again.

Peter Gammons just tweeted on that topic.  A shallow free agent pool and plenty of money to spend generally portends doom and big overpays for big market franchises.

With little in the free agent market and severe draft and international limitations the $260m saved by Bosox cannot be easily reinvested.

Theo had once talked about being comfortable with the Sox team prior to adding Crawford and Lackey but feeling pressure to spend the additional money.

“You had the realities of being in a big market and being in a really competitive atmosphere and a place that wasn’t that patient,” Epstein said. “Then, on top of that, we had the reality of what we came to call “The Monster"—which was what happened after we won in ’04. There became such an emphasis in the Red Sox organization of doing things bigger, better—pushing to be more marketable, more profitable, not to lose any fans, to keep pushing these numbers. It’s perfectly understandable, and I don’t blame anybody for it. It’s sort of a natural consequence of winning and a natural consequence of being in business."

After a big trade like this, the fear is that the pressure to rebuild quickly will lead the Red Sox to spend their money unwisely on a free agent market that doesn't merit it.

« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2012, 01:03:20 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
After a big trade like this, the fear is that the pressure to rebuild quickly will lead the Red Sox to spend their money unwisely on a free agent market that doesn't merit it.

With that in mind....Wonder how Nick Swisher will look like in a Sox uniform?

Gonzo, Beckett, Crawford Mega Deal
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2012, 10:47:24 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I know this is a basketball blog but it is off season and this is one of the biggest deals in baseball history.  I suspect that many will share my view that this is a great deal for the Sox.  It was time to blow it up.

The expectation is that with all the salary flexibility, they will be able to sign other, better players.  I suspect they can do this and they will have a premier line up reconstructed very soon.

On Gonzo, clearly is he a good player to give up but I never really warmed up to him.  Replacing him will not be easy though.

But why is Nick Punto in this deal.  Has anyone heard a reasonable explaination for this.

Re: Gonzo, Beckett, Crawford Mega Deal
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2012, 11:05:01 AM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

But why is Nick Punto in this deal.  Has anyone heard a reasonable explaination for this.

Because he's a useless player signed through next year.  He could be a useful part on a contender I suppose.

ps  - I'm going to merge this with another thread on the topic
Yup

« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2012, 11:13:43 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Peter Gammons just tweeted on that topic.  A shallow free agent pool and plenty of money to spend generally portends doom and big overpays for big market franchises.

Yeah, hopefully they are careful this offseason, and dont ruin it by wasting a lot of money. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Celtics fan for life.