Author Topic: Gonzo, Beckett, Crawford Mega Deal (merged threads)  (Read 18920 times)

Re: Baseball/Red Sox Trade Deadline Thread
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2012, 05:40:38 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Per Gordon edes of espn, sox working on a deal to send gonzo, Crawford, Beckett and punto to the dodgers
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 05:43:21 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
“@GordonEdes: Blockbuster: red Sox, Dodgers working on deal that would send AGon, Crawford, Beckett and Punto to LA. Hurdles remain, but closing in”
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 05:52:41 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
“@GordonEdes: Blockbuster: red Sox, Dodgers working on deal that would send AGon, Crawford, Beckett and Punto to LA. Hurdles remain, but closing in”

Why are we shipping out AGon?

We moved Youk because there was no room at 1B and 3B, and after this trade, our starting 1B would be gone, and our starting 3B on the DL!!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 06:07:17 PM by AB_Celtic »

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2012, 06:11:29 PM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57

We moved Youk because there was no room at 1B and 3B, and after this trade, our starting 1B would be gone, and our starting 3B on the DL!!

Because I think they are regretting the giant contract they gave him, especially in light of him being heavily involved in some of the recent clubhouse controversies.

Also, there may be a bit of a "wink wink" deal here, where the Sox agreed to try in good faith to send Gonzo to LA on the condition that they conveniently put in a claim for Beckett too.  But that is just speculation on my part.

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2012, 07:36:04 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Gonzo scratched, not even on bench. Done deal.

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2012, 07:55:59 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
No deal getting done tonight via twitter

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2012, 08:06:46 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Gonzo shirts being taken down

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2012, 08:19:56 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
A guy that covers the dodgers saying deal is done assuming medicals check out

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2012, 09:01:15 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Gonzo shirts being taken down

Right. And SOSH posted a pix of the sox store taking his poster down.

Wow, what a major overhaul. I hope Webster is included as a prospect by LA. The rest, meh.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2012, 09:04:26 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja

Because I think they are regretting the giant contract they gave him, especially in light of him being heavily involved in some of the recent clubhouse controversies.

Also, there may be a bit of a "wink wink" deal here, where the Sox agreed to try in good faith to send Gonzo to LA on the condition that they conveniently put in a claim for Beckett too.  But that is just speculation on my part.

I think you are correct. Prior to the trade deadline the sox and LA had serious talks about Gonzalez. So this is not a sudden decision by either side.

Huge salary dump and maybe even a statement that the sox will build from within the organization as opposed to theo's last few years of free agent spending.

We shall see.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2012, 09:24:31 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Love the trade. We'd be getting temporary scrubs, their #2 prospect, and a shat-load of money to spend in free agency.

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2012, 10:11:28 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
If the Sox get them to take on all 3 contracts that would br the biggest salary dump ever.  Still, they'd need to be getting something at keast hakfway decent back don't you think?
Yup

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2012, 10:42:36 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja
If the Sox get them to take on all 3 contracts that would br the biggest salary dump ever.  Still, they'd need to be getting something at keast hakfway decent back don't you think?

minor league talent is always  a crap shoot. but webster and de la rosa are projected to be good, not great, major leaguers.

salary dump is #1. but getting ANY decent prospects back is great for the sox. overall this is good for the sox. and if beckett decides to pitch and crawford heals then LA benefits.

potentially a win for both sides. the sox are toast this year so prospects work for them.
- Vandana Shiva

Josh Beckett traded!
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2012, 10:22:40 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2012-08-25/dodgers-red-sox-trade-josh-beckett-adrian-gonzalez-carl-crawford-james-loney

This, in my mind, warrants an all day dance party/rave at Fenway park! Woo hoo!

Also, sad to see Adrian Gonzalez go. He, unlike Beckett, gave his all here.

Re: Josh Beckett traded!
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2012, 10:27:45 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
This is pretty much the biggest trade I can imagine.  In some ways, it's bigger than the KG trade.  It's a complete reset of the whole roster (or it will be, if they can find another NL team to give Lackey away to). 

What I worry about is whether the team is going to waste that flexibility this winter.  I'd almost rather them take a break; Red Sox nation can accept (I believe) a year of rebuilding/development.  Let's see the young guys, let's give them a chance to develop.  Re-focus on the things that made Boston successful at the beginning of Theo's tenure, player development and smart, low-risk signings rather than trying to match the Yankee model. 

But really, if they can get rid of Lackey...  Dice-K's going to be gone next year, too.  Thank freakin' god!