Author Topic: Goodbye Mickael Pietrus?  (Read 11865 times)

Goodbye Mickael Pietrus?
« on: July 24, 2012, 02:42:23 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
Not that this should come as a huge surprise at this point.  I doubt the C's even attempt to spend the BAE on him and personally I don't think the C's really had much interest in bringing him back from the get-go.

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2012/07/24/agent-mickael-pietrus-not-a-veteran-minimum-player/

Pietrus is “still open to a return,” according to his agent Bill McCandless, but the 30-year-old free agent swingman will not play for the NBA’s veteran minimum salary — which, after his nine years in the league, is $1.23 million.

“MP will not play for the veteran’s minimum. Period,” said McCandless. “It’s not happening. That’s the beginning, middle and end of that. … He is not a veteran’s minimum player. There’s no chance he’ll ever sign for that.”

That leaves the $1.96 million bi-annual exception as the C’s only option, but that may not be enough. While Pietrus signed for the $1.22 million minimum after being waived by the Suns in December, the French-speaking Guadeloupean has “a standing offer triple that overseas,” his agent said. They’ve also engaged in serious talks with several NBA teams, including one Monday, “and the money was much more than the veteran minimum.”

Re: Goodbye Mickael Pietrus?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 02:48:43 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 235
That's too bad i loved the comic relief he provided.

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 02:49:48 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I would've liked him back, but it might not happen even for the BAE. This makes at least one decision easier: Joseph definitely stays. And if Dooling is brought back, that leaves one open spot, I think?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 02:52:56 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I love Pietrus.  But it's a terrible situation for him here.  We're two deep at the 2 and the 3.  He'd be the 11th or 12th man here.  That'd be awesome for us, but not very good for a guy who'd be coming here for small money with little hope of playing his way into a bigger deal next year. 

And I think I'd rather hold onto the BAE and use it to address whatever issues up up during the season when buy-outs start to occur.  And we won't know those specific weaknesses until we've seen how this team functions and who gets hurt. 

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 03:19:46 PM »

Online j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3064
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I say he probably ends up overseas would have loved to have him back  :(
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 03:23:49 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 235
could be a good fit with the Bulls as a Ronnie Brewer replacement. I think he'll either join a contender or go over seas.

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 03:26:58 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
If he's joinimg a contender he has to take the min right?  It'd be a poor business decision IMO if said team spent more than that

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 03:29:25 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Hope he ends up overseas for his sake ($$$$$) and ours (he always seems to hurt us when he plays us) and I like him and don't want to root against him......unlike Judas.

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 04:06:37 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I love Pietrus.  But it's a terrible situation for him here.  We're two deep at the 2 and the 3.  He'd be the 11th or 12th man here.  That'd be awesome for us, but not very good for a guy who'd be coming here for small money with little hope of playing his way into a bigger deal next year. 

And I think I'd rather hold onto the BAE and use it to address whatever issues up up during the season when buy-outs start to occur.  And we won't know those specific weaknesses until we've seen how this team functions and who gets hurt. 

Saying we're deep at the 3 is a bit overstated. Jeff Green missed all of last year and is arguably better suited to the 4 in today's NBA. That's our only depth with experience.

That said, the Cs won't give Pietrus the BAE if they're smart. If his offer overseas is so attractive, he should take it, then come back in a few seasons when he's.... well.... ready to take the vet min as the defender / low %  spot-up shooter that he is.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 04:15:06 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Saying we're deep at the 3 is a bit overstated. Jeff Green missed all of last year and is arguably better suited to the 4 in today's NBA. That's our only depth with experience.

That said, the Cs won't give Pietrus the BAE if they're smart. If his offer overseas is so attractive, he should take it, then come back in a few seasons when he's.... well.... ready to take the vet min as the defender / low %  spot-up shooter that he is.

Green is a bad PF.

Only if the other team goes small is he an acceptable option there.

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 04:21:52 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
Green is a bad PF.

Only if the other team goes small is he an acceptable option there.

You don't envision Doc playing him at the 4 in crunch time?  Doc seems to love him a stretch 4 at the end of games dating all the way back to James Posey.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 04:52:47 PM by Prof. Clutch »

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 04:23:50 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
I like MP but we don't need him and spending the BAE on him would be nothing short of stupid.

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 04:38:06 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I like MP but we don't need him and spending the BAE on him would be nothing short of stupid.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it stupid, but I think we're best off holding onto the BAE until next year.

The original article is wrong, however, that we can only spend the veterans minimum or the BAE.  He's a non-Bird, so we can spend 120% of his last year salary, which would take the offer to  $1.47 million, between the vet min of $1.35 mil and the BAE of $1.95 mil, albeit much closer to the minimum.  Doesn't sound like he'll come for that, although I highly doubt he's received an offer triple that overseas.

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 04:43:35 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Bye Bye Mickael thanks for your time, if you really want to come back take the min.
Save the BAE until February we might get something useful there!
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 05:19:38 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2977
Quisy or Xmas  would dbe good.