Author Topic: Shocker alert.... Yankees trade for Ichiro  (Read 8396 times)

Re: Shocker alert.... Yankees trade for Ichiro
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2012, 04:47:09 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
This is a great signing for the Yankees. 

1)It cost them nothing.  The two guys they traded were not any good (one was a waiver wire pick up) and they actually got Seattle to trow money into the trade.

2)His splits show that he might hit well for the Yankees.  He's hitting .297 away from Safeco, which is one of if not the worst hitters ball park in the league. 

3)The Yankee scouts thought he seemed, shall we say , unenthusiastic to be playinf for yet another awful team in Seattle.  Which is why he is willing to bat 8th for the Yankees.  (and possibly sit againt lefties and possibly move to left field). 

4)While not as good as he used to be he can still play defense and throw the ball.  He's going to be a huge upgrade over Andrew Jones and Ibanez in that department.

5)He can still run.  He instantly became the yankees leader in stolen bases.

6)The Yankees don't need him to be the Ichiro of old, they need him to be Brett Gardner. 

7)He should be able to handle New York.  This is a big deal in the NY but seeing as he's used to all the media attention he should do fine.

8)He's a free agent after the year.  There is no commitment. 

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2012, 05:26:45 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I love the homerism. Im a Mets fan, but have no offiliation rooting for the Yankees. But this is a huge pick up for the Yanks. Its Ichiro freakin Suzuki as your 8th hitter. He is in decline, and he is having trouble getting on base this year, but hes playing for the mariners. i think this will be a huge move for the yankees even if he isnt at an all star level like he used.

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2012, 06:44:39 PM »

Offline spinz

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 8
If this was 5 years ago id be depressed. But the guy is almost 39.. sure he increases their chances a little this year.. but thats it.

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2012, 07:05:10 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
If this was 5 years ago id be depressed. But the guy is almost 39.. sure he increases their chances a little this year.. but thats it.

isnt that the point of getting him? to increase their chances of winning the title this year. I highly doubt they have a long term plan for him.

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2012, 07:12:36 PM »

Offline spinz

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 8
its not a bad move really, but i just wouldnt call it a big acquisition. Hes got an OBP of 288 this season. It increases chances of winning, but seriously a very little bit.. and possibly a developing player could do better.

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2012, 07:46:29 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
They are SO stacked every year. It's ridiculous. I root for the Red Sox, but not that into baseball. Don't think I've ever watched a full game besides game 7 of 2004 ALCS and Game 4 of 2004 World Series.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6