Author Topic: Shocker alert.... Yankees trade for Ichiro  (Read 8295 times)

Shocker alert.... Yankees trade for Ichiro
« on: July 24, 2012, 02:26:12 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Didnt see this one coming...And apparently neither did anyone in the yankees clubhouse. Amazing how the best team in baseball can just add a player like Ichiro at the drop of the hat. Even though old, makes the Yankees that much scarier on the depth chart....

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/8193142/new-york-yankees-acquire-ichiro-suzuki-seattle-mariners

Re: Shocker alert.... Yankees trade for Ichiro
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 02:31:06 AM »

fitzhickey

for two pitching PROSPECTS  >:(

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 02:44:03 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Yanks baby!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 03:20:10 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Man. That's a huge pick up.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 11:29:38 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
They now have the ability to rotate ichiro, Gardner, swisher, granderson, ibanez, or andruw jones in the outfield on any given night... Absurd.

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 11:43:07 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176

It would have been three years ago.  Ichiro's playing now like...  well, like a #8 hitter.  His OBP is 0.288.  Hard to steal bases without getting on base. 

They play different positions, but compare his stats to Mike Aviles (as a mediocre player we Red Sox fans are quite familiar with).

Batting average: Aviles .260, Ichiro .261 (not counting last night)
OBP: Aviles .283, Ichiro .288
Slugging: Aviles .409, Ichiro .353
OPS: Aviles .692, Ichiro .642
Stolen bases: Aviles 10 steals, caught 4 times, Ichicro 15/2

So, you picked up the equivalent of Mike Freakin' Aviles to play in your outfield.  *Yawn*.

Ichiro's been on the decline for several years; it's not that big a pickup now.

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 12:18:04 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
They now have the ability to rotate ichiro, Gardner, swisher, granderson, ibanez, or andruw jones in the outfield on any given night... Absurd.

Gardner is out for the season though, unfortunately.

One of the pitching prospects was claimed off waivers this year from the Athletics I think.

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 12:43:56 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

It would have been three years ago.  Ichiro's playing now like...  well, like a #8 hitter.  His OBP is 0.288.  Hard to steal bases without getting on base. 

They play different positions, but compare his stats to Mike Aviles (as a mediocre player we Red Sox fans are quite familiar with).

Batting average: Aviles .260, Ichiro .261 (not counting last night)
OBP: Aviles .283, Ichiro .288
Slugging: Aviles .409, Ichiro .353
OPS: Aviles .692, Ichiro .642
Stolen bases: Aviles 10 steals, caught 4 times, Ichicro 15/2

So, you picked up the equivalent of Mike Freakin' Aviles to play in your outfield.  *Yawn*.

Ichiro's been on the decline for several years; it's not that big a pickup now.

how much of that decline is based around playing for the freaking Seattle mariners though?

He looked pretty lively last night for the yanks, I think he's a steal for two pitching prospects, one if whom was a waiver claim as someone above mentioned.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 01:15:19 PM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
I'm a yanks fan, and I think this is a HUGE deal... BUT he is not the player he once was. He is batting .260.

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 01:32:18 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
how much of that decline is based around playing for the freaking Seattle mariners though?

There is more of a split between his home and away numbers than I realized, which I can't quite grasp.  His teammates shouldn't matter; it's still batter-versus-pitcher.  The lack of a decent hitter behind him shouldn't matter, you aren't pitching around Ichiro and walking him (he doesn't really walk much, anyway).  He's a slap hitter, so the field shouldn't have as much of an impact as it would have for a power hitter.

So, I'm not sure how much I'm buying that it's due to the team around him, versus the inevitable decline that players face when they get to their upper 30s. 

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 01:55:26 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I'm a yanks fan, and I think this is a HUGE deal... BUT he is not the player he once was. He is batting .260.

I'm a Sox fan, but I do think this is fun for baseball to see Ichiro playing for the Yankees.  Eventually it seems like every star makes his way through New York.
Yup

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 02:16:51 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
There is more of a split between his home and away numbers than I realized, which I can't quite grasp.  His teammates shouldn't matter; it's still batter-versus-pitcher.  The lack of a decent hitter behind him shouldn't matter, you aren't pitching around Ichiro and walking him (he doesn't really walk much, anyway).  He's a slap hitter, so the field shouldn't have as much of an impact as it would have for a power hitter. So, I'm not sure how much I'm buying that it's due to the team around him, versus the inevitable decline that players face when they get to their upper 30s. 

Really?  You don't think he'll get better pitches to hit batting ahead of Robinson Cano than he would Justin Smoak?  Against a team leading the majors in homers against a team with slightly more than half that many?

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 02:22:17 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
Why would pitchers have been pitching around Ichiro when he was in Seattle?  The last thing you want to do is walk him, and he's always been a guy who could make contact on almost any pitch, anyway.    

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 02:57:45 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Isn't Gardner out for the year?
Andrew Jones is 35 years old and batting .230, while he does have some pop with 12 hr's in limited at bats he also strikes out a ton and is probably below average overall. Very similar to Ibanez (only he is 40!). Granderson and Swisher are both good to great, but lets not pretend they have amazing depth, otherwise I don't think they would have picked up a guy the sox cut (mcdonald)

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 03:23:09 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
ImShak and rickyfan,....Shutouts to fellow Yank fans...

With that being said, I am having a little trouble reconciling my happiness of my team, the Yankees, getting stronger. i.e. the rich getting richer  :-[ and then decrying the same when it happens for the Fakers and the cHeat which hurts our Cs... :-\