Author Topic: My trip to Boston  (Read 7685 times)

My trip to Boston
« on: July 22, 2012, 03:01:54 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
Hey everyone!  I've been in Boston for about two weeks now, and I'm going to be here for another.  I'm a rising sophomore in HS, and I went to the BU Summer Challenge program.  Starting today, I am going to be going to a sports broadcasting camp on BU's west campus.

During the first camp, we went to a couple places.  First, I went to Faneuil Hall.  Snapped a pic with Red, and watched the street performers.  Overall, it was pretty good.  Then we went to the North End.  Ate at Mike's.  It was very good.  Got two cupcakes.  Also ate at this place called "Express."  The meatball sandwich was just okay, but the cheese pizza looked real good.  Also went to Hampton Beach, NH, but it was cold and horrible.  Harvard Square was nice, but I went at night so I didn't get to see much of the campus.  Checked out BC.  I go to a Catholic HS, and the campus was beautiful.

Just wanted to say that it's been a great city to visit.  Just got back from TD Garden, picked up Green and Sullinger shirts!  I'm not sure how much free time I'm going to have this next week, but if you have any suggestions as to where I should go, please do.  Thanks!

Re: My trip to Boston
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 03:06:05 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think its cool you're having a great time in Boston. If you don't see the aquarium, you're missing out on my personal favorite thing to do in Boston besides spend too much money at TD Garden and then WAY too much at the bars around it.

And since the C's aren't playing and you're a sophomore in highschool, the best thing you could possibly do in Boston is go to the aquarium.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 03:08:52 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
Welcome to the Bean!  Here's a TP.

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 03:16:36 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Sounds like you're sucking in the experience.  Thanks for the report.  It's fun to hear about old places from a fresh perspective.

Good luck with the hoops too.
Yup

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 03:20:16 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
The museums are pretty good to visit too.  Back Bay (where I work) as got some interesting sites too.  

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 03:51:31 PM »

Offline Sandtiger

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 4
Welcome to Boston! Here are my favorite places to visit:

Museum of Science

Aquarium

Fenway Park

Boston Public Gardens

The entire Back Bay area is really nice to just walk or drive through

If you can spare the time you should also check out Cambridge... lots of great restaurants there.

Have a great time on your trip!

--Tiger

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 04:09:28 PM »

Offline KJR

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 37
1 - Harbor Islands.  Take the fifteen minute ferry ride ($7 or so) out to the Harbor Islands.  Spectacle Island has views of the whole harbor.  Georges Island has an 1850s era stone fort you can explore.  Great on a hot day to be on the water.  Leaves from a pier near the aquarium.

2 - Museum of Fine Arts.  Best collection of colonial era American art in the country.  Also air conditioned.

3 - Go back to Harvard Square during the day.  Get some ice cream and walk through Harvard Yard.  All the kids there are summer students like yourself.  From ages 16-24 it's a paradise for young students.

4 - If you have access to a car: Cranes Beach on the North Shore, Mount Monadnock 2 hours northwest, or Nantucket Ferry from Hyannisport.  Biking on the Cape Cod canal is also worthwhile.

5 - If you sail, they rent boats on the Charles River.  If not, they rent kayaks a couple miles upriver.

Just a proud Bostonian ... hub of the universe.

Have a great summer.

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 04:17:56 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Definitely check out Newbury Street, if you like to shop. If you don't, just check it out anyways. Haha.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 05:42:17 PM »

Offline All Star Matt Clement

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12
Boston is a great time as a HS and college student. if you're into ethnic food check out Chinatown. Davis Sq, Inman Sq can be pretty cool as well (Christina's ice cream in inman is amazing, punjabi dhaba really cheap good indian food)

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 06:01:05 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
Welcome! I'm leaving Boston for Charleston, SC so I am trying to revisit everything that I'll miss. Here's some stuff you can do under 21, mostly food related:

Chinatown: Take the orange line to Chinatown and walk around. Its like being in another country. If you like Vietnamese food, go to Xinh Xinh on Beach St. It's just across the Boston Common behind Emerson college. Go into Seamart, which is a cool asian market that has vegetables you may have never seen before, as well as a really cool live fish market/display.

Take the Red line to Harvard Square and go grab a burger at Mr. Bartley's, just a couple blocks down from the Harvard Book store. On Sundays, the Museum of Natural History at Harvard is free. Cooler than it sounds.

If you want to see some of the most beautiful women in the country, walk from one end of Newbury Street to the other. Then come back down Boylston. You may break your neck, but it's worth it.

Glad to hear you were in the North End, but Mike's pales in comparison to Modern Pastry, which is pretty much across the street. If you have a few extra bucks, go to Neptune's Oyster bar for the best Lobster roll in New England.

Go down Charles Street in Beacon Hill and stop at Cafe Vanille for awesome pastries and coffee, but don't eat it there. grab it all to go and sit in the Public Garden across from Cheers--great place to people watch and actually very pretty park with some excellent statues to check out, particularly the famous statue of George Washington at the Comm Ave entrance.

Finally, go stalk Tom Brady and Gisele at the corner of Beacon Street and Fairfield. I have seen Gisele numerous times and got a pleasant hello from him when we both went to grab a newspaper on a Sunday morning from the paper guy's truck at Comm Ave and Clarendon. Walk across storrow drive to the Charles River and take a walk on the Esplanade. It's beautiful, and there are tons of girls there, too.

Have fun!

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 06:01:58 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Castle island in South Boston is a pretty nice walk on the water.

Pretty much everything else others have said.

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 06:03:00 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Boston was one of my favorite places in the states to visit, despite flying about 21 hours to get there.

Bars were awesome, game 4 of the ECFs was unforgettable with the Boston crowd, and the sea turtles at the aquarium were cool too.

Drinking beer at the Fenway park bar was fun aswell.

A gorgeous city and I completely understand the high demand for property in the Boston area now, as it reminds me a lot of my home city. (Melbourne.) I will definitely be returning.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 06:18:28 PM »

Offline All Star Matt Clement

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12

Glad to hear you were in the North End, but Mike's pales in comparison to Modern Pastry, which is pretty much across the street. If you have a few extra bucks, go to Neptune's Oyster bar for the best Lobster roll in New England.

i liked modern pastry but it is not a canoli kind of place, when my GF and I were there a month ago it served only cupcakes.

will definitely check out neptune oyster

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2012, 06:20:58 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
Just wanted to say Thank You to everyone!  During my second camp, we are taking a tour of Fenway.  Not a baseball fan, but I'm excited to see the Green Monster!

My parents are probably going to the North End to try all the stuff suggested.  They're foodies!

I hope to check out the aquarium if I have time, but again, Thank You!