Author Topic: remaining free agent centers  (Read 23641 times)

Re: remaining free agent centers
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2012, 03:12:04 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

It all depends on Danny and Flip Saunders. Blatche is a knucklehead, but under Flip he got great numbers. I guess he knows him well enough to make the right decision.

Completely forgot Flip was still a part of this coaching staff.

Blatche will never be a player on this team then. Flip knows his make-up and I doubt he's had good things to say about Blatche to the Celtics hierarchy.

« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2012, 03:34:29 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

It all depends on Danny and Flip Saunders. Blatche is a knucklehead, but under Flip he got great numbers. I guess he knows him well enough to make the right decision.

Blatche will never be a player on this team then. Flip knows his make-up and I doubt he's had good things to say about Blatche to the Celtics hierarchy.

Blatche saw a ton of minutes under Saunders - a long leash.  It was Wittman that he had problems with.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2012, 03:36:26 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I could see him going to the Knicks.   He seems their type.

« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2012, 04:54:40 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
But we probably have enough projects, we need a veteran big man.

I don't think a big man has to be a veteran, it just has to be someone that Doc will give minutes to.  As Stiemsma showed, that doesn't necessarily have to be a veteran.  The best choice, given salary constraints, really may be a young guy with a good motor who will step in and focus on playing defense, someone whose upside is more immediate but probably limited to solid, non-starting  rotational big rather than someone with a bit more longshot potential to lock down the center position as a starter a few years from now.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2012, 04:56:12 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Blatche saw a ton of minutes under Saunders - a long leash.  It was Wittman that he had problems with.

He's had problems with everyone.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2012, 05:17:14 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Don't see how we can afford Anderson...

« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2012, 05:21:30 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
I could see him going to the Knicks.   He seems their type.

Chandler, Stoudemire, and Camby are already there. Where would he fit?

« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2012, 05:28:05 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
But we probably have enough projects, we need a veteran big man.

I don't think a big man has to be a veteran, it just has to be someone that Doc will give minutes to.  As Stiemsma showed, that doesn't necessarily have to be a veteran.  The best choice, given salary constraints, really may be a young guy with a good motor who will step in and focus on playing defense, someone whose upside is more immediate but probably limited to solid, non-starting  rotational big rather than someone with a bit more longshot potential to lock down the center position as a starter a few years from now.

I hope Melo fits that description soon. He's got Stiemsma's spot, as in a big guy who can defend the paint and give you some 8-10 minutes a game when needed.

Stiemsma got more minutes because of the Wilcox/JO debacle. This year we have healthy Wilcox back (please), and Sullinger seems like a great PF who can give you, at least, what BBD did. Melo is our 5th big, and you need someone who can step in and somehow contribute. Birdman, Blatche, K-Mart can contribute in different ways, and any of them would be ok for this team. But Blatche is the more talented of the three, and he's 25 years old (turns 26 next august). He's just a better Sean Williams, less athletic but who has shown he can ball in the NBA. He may not play that good again, but you have to give him a chance for the vet min.

Out of those three, Haddadi/Gray/Fessenko are big bodies who could be the Ryan Hollins experiment for this year.

Then, the younger UFAs(Orton/Whiteside)and undrafted FAs (Gates/Sims/Sidney), who could end helping a bit, but they're projects in the making. I wouldn't mind Whiteside. Gates and Renardo Sidney are intriguing, but they're labelled as not the harder workers.

In Danny & Saunders we trust.

« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2012, 05:41:05 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

He got amnestied I think so his salary is paid by Denver, and he and KG were tight so possible.

« Reply #84 on: July 21, 2012, 05:45:23 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
Never  mind our already stacked bench, Jet and the Birdman would be so much energy off the bench. Pumping the crowd up like no one else!

BiiiiiiiiiiirdMannnn get it done.
The Celtics "energy squad": Jet-Lee and the Birdman! :)

« Reply #85 on: July 21, 2012, 06:10:35 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
The only bad thing about CLee signing... no more FA news of guys linked to us.

I need some rumors about a big we are seriously considering! I check my phone all the time to see if there is any news (that's probably one of the reasons people are so hyped about getting CL, it was NEWS, lol)! I need news!!!! Real rumors from people who really do interact with players/organizations in basketball! I hate the summer lol!!! GIVE ME SOME NEWS ON us and anyone!!!!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #86 on: July 21, 2012, 06:29:03 PM »

Offline Army_of_One_Nation

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 44

He got amnestied I think so his salary is paid by Denver, and he and KG were tight so possible.

"Teams can claim an amnestied player at a reduced rate, with the waiving team responsible for paying the balance of the contract. The team with the highest bid acquires the player. If unclaimed, the player becomes a free agent. Teams over the salary cap can only acquire an amnestied player if he becomes a free agent, and the offer would be limited to the veteran's minimum contract."
"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end."
Larry Bird

« Reply #87 on: July 21, 2012, 07:37:57 PM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
If there really is nothing to the allegations against the Birdman, I would take my chances with him, even though he has been injured.

I looked up his numbers from last season, and I was impressed:

5.3 pts, 4.6 rebs, 1.4 blocks in just 15 minutes/game. His PER was 18.97. He had a top 3 offensive rating and the best defensive rating for the players, that played significant minutes for the Nuggets last season.

« Reply #88 on: July 21, 2012, 09:20:11 PM »

Offline rmitchell222003

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
Ben Wallace!!!!

« Reply #89 on: July 21, 2012, 09:20:32 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
I'm not even sure Anderson is under investigation.  I think it is the mother of the girl under investigation for extortion.