Author Topic: remaining free agent centers  (Read 23648 times)

Re: remaining free agent centers
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2012, 10:15:09 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Clearly the player with the most talent is Andray Blatche but Blatche has a case of knucklehead-itis which might not be curable, even if you give him the absolute best tutoring(KG) and coaching(Doc) that money can buy. If Blatche could mature and harness that talent, he is a 20/10 guy waiting to happen.

I doubt he ever will harness that talent though because, and this might be fairly insulting but, the man is a freaking moron. Danny rid this team of those types of guys by getting rid of the Nate Robinson's and Big Baby's of the world. But at a vet minimum, is it possibly worth taking a flyer knowing that if he acts up even once you could cut him immediately or is he just not worth even that?

Other than that the next guy you have to look at, assuming Stiemsma is gone because he wants to get back closer to Wisconsin/Minnesota, is Chris Andersen. He's been a hellacious defensive energy guy that can block shots and rebound and for 10 MPG that all you could really want. Andersen used to be able to do those things at an elite level. He probably can consistently anymore but he's still pretty good.

Other than that, there's really not much else out there and the C's could do worse than force feeding Melo 5-8 MPG.

« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2012, 10:23:15 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Clearly the player with the most talent is Andray Blatche but Blatche has a case of knucklehead-itis which might not be curable, even if you give him the absolute best tutoring(KG) and coaching(Doc) that money can buy. If Blatche could mature and harness that talent, he is a 20/10 guy waiting to happen.

I doubt he ever will harness that talent though because, and this might be fairly insulting but, the man is a freaking moron. Danny rid this team of those types of guys by getting rid of the Nate Robinson's and Big Baby's of the world. But at a vet minimum, is it possibly worth taking a flyer knowing that if he acts up even once you could cut him immediately or is he just not worth even that?

Other than that the next guy you have to look at, assuming Stiemsma is gone because he wants to get back closer to Wisconsin/Minnesota, is Chris Andersen. He's been a hellacious defensive energy guy that can block shots and rebound and for 10 MPG that all you could really want. Andersen used to be able to do those things at an elite level. He probably can consistently anymore but he's still pretty good.

Other than that, there's really not much else out there and the C's could do worse than force feeding Melo 5-8 MPG.

Birdman has got a nasty ongoing investigation into a child ****ography ring going on.....not sure any team wants any parts of that.  I like Blatche's game but he wants shine and minutes (not something he'll get in Boston undeserved) and I think he ends up getting cut and its a waste of time and energy because at the deadline they'll be looking for a replacement anyway.

I don't know Haddadi maybe?

« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2012, 10:27:30 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Birdman has got a nasty ongoing investigation into a child ****ography ring going on.....

It's not a child p0rn "ring".  Rather, according to his lawyer, he may or may not possess some provocative images of a teenager in California who claimed she was 21 but is now trying to extort him.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2012, 10:27:46 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Even if Blatche wasn't a total knucklehead, there's no way he would be enthusiastic about not getting big minutes.  Some crap team that can offer minutes will likely take a flyer on him.  You can't have a guy like that pouting on the bench.

But man, are those pickings slim.  The market for Steimsma is likely higher than what the C's can offer him.  Has to be.  Doc already said Fab Melo likely won't help much this year, so I don't know what you do.  

How old's Tony Battie? ;)

« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2012, 10:31:14 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I like Haddadi a lot.

Whenever he played for Memphis he would give positive minutes. He'd get a couple put back baskets a couple blocks. He's a guy that doesn't need a ton of minutes to produce.

I think he would pretty much be a replica of Stiemsma at the least

« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2012, 11:24:14 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134

« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2012, 11:34:57 AM »

Offline ole_gunar

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3

« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2012, 11:40:34 AM »

Offline ole_gunar

• Xavier Tillman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_6bC-ndv4I
PLEASE GOD, NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2012, 11:43:52 AM »

Offline ole_gunar

• Xavier Tillman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIO1qRQ8dR4
This is what we need, right?

« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2012, 12:49:35 PM »

Online snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Chris Andersen.

Amen.  Shot-blocker, rebounder, transition scorer.  Proven rotation player.  Doesn't give us the beefy post defender we lack, but shot-blocking + mobility is more useful.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2012, 01:10:02 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176

Danny's gotten rid of a lot of knuckleheads, but he's never been afraid to take one aboard if the cost is cheap and he can jettison them fairly quickly if needed.  He traded for Nate to help gear up for a title run.  Same with Starbury.  Traded for Ricky Davis back in the day.  Brought aboard Sean Williams at the end of last season.  Patty O'Blount and Kandiman.  

He's always been attacted to cheap talent that's not fully harnessed.  Thing is, I just don't see Blatche coming cheap; Danny will take a wager, but usually when he's just paying a vet minimum salary, and I'd be shocked if Blatche doesn't get a multiyear deal from someone, far north of what we could offer.

Come to think of it, not sure any of those players ever really "got it" in Boston.  None of them really acted out, but none really harnessed their full potential here, either.  

« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2012, 01:47:09 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Would it be a classic Ainge move to try and bringing undrafted big man Renardo Sidney?  I wonder how Yancy Gates looked playing for Detroit and Sacramento in the summer leagues.

The best chance for a solid backup center might be to find an undrafted rookie free agent who will be a hard worker but didn't get picked because he lacks ideal height and has less than elite athleticism.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2012, 02:20:44 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Chris Andersen.

1. Anderson 2. Lopez

The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2012, 02:22:06 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
Would it be a classic Ainge move to try and bringing undrafted big man Renardo Sidney?  I wonder how Yancy Gates looked playing for Detroit and Sacramento in the summer leagues.

The best chance for a solid backup center might be to find an undrafted rookie free agent who will be a hard worker but didn't get picked because he lacks ideal height and has less than elite athleticism.

Yancy Gates looked like a giant comparing him to Sullinger in the last SL game. I don't know if it was because of fatigue, but Sully was beasted in the paint a couple of times.

Hassan Whiteside is an interesting prospect, too.

But we probably have enough projects, we need a veteran big man. Blatche would be great for the vet min, he could provide rest for KG in the regular season, and he's a more than capable scorer. If he wants to prove himself and earn a better contract next year, he can go to a crappy team and try to start for them, or take the Posey route.

It all depends on Danny and Flip Saunders. Blatche is a knucklehead, but under Flip he got great numbers. I guess he knows him well enough to make the right decision.

If Blatche wants more money, look for the next one. Vet min to our insurance big is the right price. Offer Pietrus the non-bird raise, 1.6M, and save the BAE just in case. Sign Dooling for the right money, and call it an offseason.

« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2012, 02:23:13 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Never  mind our already stacked bench, Jet and the Birdman would be so much energy off the bench. Pumping the crowd up like no one else!

BiiiiiiiiiiirdMannnn get it done.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)