Author Topic: JaJuan Johnson = Useless??  (Read 29395 times)

Re: JaJuan Johnson = Useless??
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2012, 09:35:38 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Summer league sucks for him. Both "point guards" behind Moore keep forcing the issue...no...just jacking up shots constantly, not even trying to help the team.

Missing shots hurts your psyche as well. I think that also partly explains why he doesn't play with the energy we'd like him to.

I hope you are right.  But all I have seen is a fish out of water who shies from contact, and is afraid to assert himself on either end, and looks completely tentative.  And that is the same player I saw last year as well.

« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2012, 09:39:58 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Summer league sucks for him. Both "point guards" behind Moore keep forcing the issue...no...just jacking up shots constantly, not even trying to help the team.

Missing shots hurts your psyche as well. I think that also partly explains why he doesn't play with the energy we'd like him to.

I hope you are right.  But all I have seen is a fish out of water who shies from contact, and is afraid to assert himself on either end, and looks completely tentative.  And that is the same player I saw last year as well.

I've lost some hope too. He's be a role player more likely than not.

But, man, they are really terrible point guards.

« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2012, 09:42:06 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

I've lost some hope too. He's be a role player more likely than not.

But, man, they are really terrible point guards.

I agree on the point guards.  But my problem hasn't been his offense, it has been his terrible positioning defensively and on the boards.  He has had a couple games where he grabbed some rebounds, but that was just because he was not rotating correctly, and was grabbing rebounds when guys missed shots he should have been contesting.

« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2012, 09:42:23 AM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103

...  But all I have seen is a fish out of water who shies from contact, and is afraid to assert himself on either end, and looks completely tentative.  And that is the same player I saw last year as well.
I'm seeing what you're seeing.  If he weren't a first round pick with a guaranteed contract, I'd say his chances of making the squad were slim.  I'm hoping he'll be part of a trade package, but I suspect he doesn't have much value in that regard right now either.

« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2012, 09:43:23 AM »

Offline Potapenko Boxout

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
Remember how much we HATED Avery Bradley 1 year ago?

JJJ is probably going to be a 15 and 10 guy with all this hatred.

« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2012, 09:45:36 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Not as totally lost as he looks this summer - and looked last winter.

Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2012, 09:47:37 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213

Even when Bradley was getting thrashed on message boards, they posts would all have the obligatory "although AB is a great defender" in it.

JJJ doesn't do anything so well that criticism of him has to be prefaced with a complement about the thing or things he does at an NBA level.

NBA players have to be either good all around players or really good at one thing.  JJJ has neither.  

« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2012, 09:47:43 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Here's the difference though.  Bradley was a guy with spectacular talent, who was a slow starter in college, and then took a while to get comfortable in the NBA.  Johnson was a questionable prospect all along.  

Bradley looked like a talented player who didn't know how to use his skills, and was overwhelmed in the NBA.  Johnson looks like a guy whose only real NBA skill is the mid range jump shot.  He has the worst footwork I have seen in a long time (and I watched years of Perk), he has no handle at all, even for a big man.  And defensively, while he has the length, he doesn't have the physicality needed.

« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2012, 09:59:40 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367

I agree on the point guards.  But my problem hasn't been his offense, it has been his terrible positioning defensively and on the boards.  He has had a couple games where he grabbed some rebounds, but that was just because he was not rotating correctly, and was grabbing rebounds when guys missed shots he should have been contesting.

I saw that too. Kind of frustrating. But like I said, the inability to contribute with his scoring (his forte) it might have took some of the fight out of him.

I kind of know the feeling from playing pickup basketball. I'm very mediocre but it just doesn't help to have ballhog teammates (and can't create many shots with my garbage handles). The more I played the more I was like "ugh, why bother" and the more I sucked.

Not saying it's a good excuse but just saying I can see why.

On top of all that, he did well on both ends of the floor against Marc Gasol and Carlos Boozer (this is a point I keep going back to on the forum) when everyone was very injured. I'm not too worried about his ability to defend bigs. When he's playing with spunk (when he got his very few minutes of playing time), he was really active and his rebounding was okay (even got some offensive ones).

Technique can be taught.

Don't get me wrong. My expectations of him were high (like it is for all rookies), even higher when he said he gained muscle and he definitely disappointed me.

With his age, 4 years of college, somewhat of a year of NBA, it looks less and less likely he'll reach those expectations (I think he can still contribute though).

« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2012, 10:13:58 AM »

Offline Potapenko Boxout

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40

Here's the difference though.  Bradley was a guy with spectacular talent, who was a slow starter in college, and then took a while to get comfortable in the NBA.  Johnson was a questionable prospect all along.  

Bradley looked like a talented player who didn't know how to use his skills, and was overwhelmed in the NBA.  Johnson looks like a guy whose only real NBA skill is the mid range jump shot.  He has the worst footwork I have seen in a long time (and I watched years of Perk), he has no handle at all, even for a big man.  And defensively, while he has the length, he doesn't have the physicality needed.

Well I gave it a shot! Is he so bad that we should cut him? It seems like our non guaranteed summer league squad guys (Moore, KJo, Christmas in particular) are making a case.

« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2012, 10:31:46 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93

Well I gave it a shot! Is he so bad that we should cut him? It seems like our non guaranteed summer league squad guys (Moore, KJo, Christmas in particular) are making a case.

Keeping him brings the phrase throwing good money after bad to mind?
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2012, 11:17:56 AM »

Offline ThatGuy

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 2
clearly boston fans are also IU/OSU fans/alumni. smdh. he'll prove all of you wrong. watch. plus...he has a 2yr contract so he can't be cut. he can only be traded.

« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2012, 11:51:49 AM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170

TP.

Shoot, I really prefer when people hate on Ray Allen. SMH.

The kid hasn't looked good in Summer League, but big men usually look worse there. Sullinger isn't looking bad because he's a talented scorer who can do it all, and he's getting touches because that's plan A for coach Lue. The rest of the big kids don't get many touches, and even worse, they don't get the ball in the right spot. Melo was great with that fadeaway jumper to close the first half yesterday, but it wasn't a setup, he just got the ball randomly.

The guards look a lot worse than the bigs... you could tell they're playing for D'Antoni in New York minus the P&R. Gibson, Moore and Christmas can shoot, for sure, but they're ruining the fun for me in watching the SL. Chucking shots isn't what a Celtic guard should do on a regular basis.

The expectations on JJJ are still high, but you can't base your judgement on SL. Hopefully the kid can have training camp and some good minutes in preseason games, so we can have a better take on him. I think he can be rotation worthy, and developing him will only grow his trade value. Trading him now wouldn't make a lot of sense.

« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2012, 01:34:08 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I don't think the poor point guards have anything to do with the evaluation of 3J in SL, because he's expressly been told they know he can score--they want to see how he can defend, rebound and block shots.

If he misses a couple of shots and that gets him down, then that's on him, because that's not what the team is asking him to do here anyway.

He's got limitations, but he's clearly got some skills too.  I think the question is whether he's got the BBIQ and the bite to grab ahold of delivering on the defense, boards and blocks that they want.

He's a second year player after having been a four-year college player, so he's had drilled into him more than any of the other bigs out there just what the C's want from him.  The concern has been his tentativeness and unevenness in delivering on that.

« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2012, 01:41:48 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Bradley was 19 when he got drafted. Compare to JJJ who played all four years in the Big 10, which is a solid conference, the fact that he still couldn't figure out how to defend and play at the NBA player speaks very bad volumes.

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace