Author Topic: JaJuan Johnson = Useless??  (Read 29407 times)

Re: JaJuan Johnson = Useless??
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2012, 12:34:48 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I understand he nor Moore got a fair hack at it, yet. But with all due respect, a camp isn't going to give him size or athleticism to play in the NBA. He ain't got it, playa.
Not that I particularly enjoy denigrating our players but I was surprised that people were proposing he had "it" to begin with.

I think that JJJ will prove to have more than many are currently giving him credit for.

I hope so, he seems like a good guy. I really liked that Purdue team. And he does have serious talent... I just don't see him being able to utilize it in the NBA, stuck between positions right now and I'm not sure he can adjust physically. A trade might him a great opportunity to develop, though. Just doesn't seem to be any room here, unfortunately.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2012, 12:49:03 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I understand he nor Moore got a fair hack at it, yet. But with all due respect, a camp isn't going to give him size or athleticism to play in the NBA. He ain't got it, playa.
Not that I particularly enjoy denigrating our players but I was surprised that people were proposing he had "it" to begin with.

I think that JJJ will prove to have more than many are currently giving him credit for.

I hope so, he seems like a good guy. I really liked that Purdue team. And he does have serious talent... I just don't see him being able to utilize it in the NBA, stuck between positions right now and I'm not sure he can adjust physically. A trade might him a great opportunity to develop, though. Just doesn't seem to be any room here, unfortunately.

I might be clinging on too strongly to JaJuan, but I really want a future with players around Rondo who can run, jump, and shoot.  Check, check, check. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2012, 12:49:43 AM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
I don't think you have to be totally down on JJJ to think he doesn't have a real future in the NBA.  He would be the perfect candidate to go overseas and really develop his game.

He does nothing other than occasionally hit a wide open jumpshot.  He doesn't even hit the wide open jumpshot with enough frequency to make it worth it.  He doesn't rebound well and can't bang with the big guys.  He isn't quick enough to guard the smaller guys, they seem to go right around him.  He doesn't have a one on one move either.  I've seen him try to do a turn around fall away jumper through the summer league and I think maybe he has had one out of 6 or 7 go down.  That just isn't good enough.

That doesn't mean he doesn't do some things OK.  Overall though, you need to have something you do well above average to find your niche in the NBA.  The D-League and even the summer league is full of OK guys.  

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2012, 12:52:58 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
I don't think you have to be totally down on JJJ to think he doesn't have a real future in the NBA.  He would be the perfect candidate to go overseas and really develop his game.

He does nothing other than occasionally hit a wide open jumpshot.  He doesn't even hit the wide open jumpshot with enough frequency to make it worth it.  He doesn't rebound well and can't bang with the big guys.  He isn't quick enough to guard the smaller guys, they seem to go right around him.  He doesn't have a one on one move either.  I've seen him try to do a turn around fall away jumper through the summer league and I think maybe he has had one out of 6 or 7 go down.  That just isn't good enough.

That doesn't mean he doesn't do some things OK.  Overall though, you need to have something you do well above average to find your niche in the NBA.  The D-League and even the summer league is full of OK guys.  

His thing that he does well above average is his ability to run the floor.  I want to see him get a chance to display that consistently before we give up on him.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2012, 01:04:18 AM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210

His thing that he does well above average is his ability to run the floor.  I want to see him get a chance to display that consistently before we give up on him.

For a 5 or a 4 I'd agree.  For a 3?  Not so much.  Pretty weak skill when others can be had who knock down 3s, or rebound, or play tough D.  I wish he were better but I've watched every D league game and just about every game last year and I'm just not seeing it.

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2012, 01:04:43 AM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
The best skill he can accumulate easily is becoming a irritant! Takes no practice it just takes for 1 morning to wake up & wanna be a a**hole! KG learned this early & he fed off of it! But Dennis Rodman is the guy who he should go back & study.
When you attack everything full speed with Lots of unbridled energy, the ball seems to bounce your way & the basketball GODS look out for you. Right now JJJ is cheating the game because he's fat katting his 1st round stature. Rodman worked his butt of until he found 1 great skill set which was Rebounding. I once thought Rodman was a great defender, but now looking back he was just very engaged & 100% into getting under a person's skin. Extra shoves while the refs looking away, make a easy lay-up & point at the crowd like he just went for 30plus, he dove for balls he had zero chance to keep fair, moved his feet skittishly while gaurding SG to make them raise doubt they could actually blow by him like he did when he used to gaurd the young MJ (very funny stuff w/ the antics diaplayed with the Pistons) & his best attribute was endearing himself to the fans he played for with endless hustle & didn't care about anybody else! Rodman couldn't dribble, shoot a jumper, shoot a FT & was undersized for his position & he's in the hall of fame! JJJ needs to learn that & he'll make himself a long career with little or no skill set, but it takes ALOT of hardwork & a dedicated exercise regimen to get there which many are not willing to dedicate themselves to

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2012, 01:18:40 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

For a 5 or a 4 I'd agree.  For a 3?  Not so much.  Pretty weak skill when others can be had who knock down 3s, or rebound, or play tough D.  I wish he were better but I've watched every D league game and just about every game last year and I'm just not seeing it.

I definitely meant as a 4.  Sure, there are others who can run the floor, but not many who can go end to end as fast as JJJ.  He's got real good, quick hops, as well. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2012, 01:22:44 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93

His thing that he does well above average is his ability to run the floor.  I want to see him get a chance to display that consistently before we give up on him.

useless is the accurate word for JJJ's play in the summer league.  He does run the floor but he has no lateral quickness, he has some speed but only  straight ahead, like a sprinter.  He shoots with a slow release and has a hitch.  Give him a chance?  he hasn't even earned the minutes he has gotten in the summer league games.  They only play him because the C's have invested in him.  He is too slow to guard 3's, to weak and clueless to guard 4's, doesn't rebound well and can't get a contested shot off.

I have to ask if you guys defending him have watched the summer league games?
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2012, 01:25:34 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

useless is the accurate word for JJJ's play in the summer league.  He does run the floor but he has no quickness but he has some speed but only  straight ahead, like a sprinter.  His shot is also with a slow release and has a hitch.  Give him a chance?  he hasn't even earned the minutes he has gotten in the summer league games.  They only play him because the C's have invested in him.  He is too slow to guard 3's, to weak and clueless to guard 4's, doesn't rebound well and can't get a contested shot off.

I have to ask if you guys defending him have watched the summer league games?

I've only watched about two halves of summer league.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2012, 01:32:11 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I think that people obviously look for different things when watching these players.

If you only  value points put in the basket, then in Summer League you will mostly be enamored of volume chucking guards and post-up players because they are the only scoring types that don't require team play.

Johnson is neither of these things so offensively, he doesn't look impressive in summer league play.

But if you pay attention on the other end, and actually watch what the players are doing on defense when not playing the ball, it's pretty clear that JJ is the only one of our bigs who knows how to play the pick and roll.   He's also the most mobile at help and recover and generally is able to get shot contention on almost every shot taken within the paint.  He's one of the summer league leaders in block rate.

I'm a huge fan of the Jared Sullinger pick and believe he is going to be a big stud.  But Sully has one huge issue in his game:  He can only be paired with a mobile big.  You have to play him along side a good laterally mobile high-paint defender like KG or, well, JJ.   Playing him alongside another bulky, slower big would be defensive suicide in the NBA.

What also should be noticed is that our summer league squad has consistently performed its best - the stretches where it has really blasted it's opponents - have been when both Sully and JJ are the two up bigs on the floor.  Sully at the 5 and JJ at the 4.  They complement each other's skill sets very well on defense.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2012, 01:51:51 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
I think that people obviously look for different things when watching these players.

If you only  value points put in the basket, then in Summer League you will mostly be enamored of volume chucking guards and post-up players because they are the only scoring types that don't require team play.

Johnson is neither of these things so offensively, he doesn't look impressive in summer league play.

But if you pay attention on the other end, and actually watch what the players are doing on defense when not playing the ball, it's pretty clear that JJ is the only one of our bigs who knows how to play the pick and roll.   He's also the most mobile at help and recover and generally is able to get shot contention on almost every shot taken within the paint.  He's one of the summer league leaders in block rate.

I'm a huge fan of the Jared Sullinger pick and believe he is going to be a big stud.  But Sully has one huge issue in his game:  He can only be paired with a mobile big.  You have to play him along side a good laterally mobile high-paint defender like KG or, well, JJ.   Playing him alongside another bulky, slower big would be defensive suicide in the NBA.

What also should be noticed is that our summer league squad has consistently performed its best - the stretches where it has really blasted it's opponents - have been when both Sully and JJ are the two up bigs on the floor.  Sully at the 5 and JJ at the 4.  They complement each other's skill sets very well on defense.

I agree that JJJ can play the pick and role and is a decent help defender.  But when paying attention and actually watching you must have noticed that he can't guard his own man with the ball or without the ball, either because he is too weak or too slow or clueless.  And just what JJJ has contributed skill wise during the strong runs seems to me to be little more than he is guy who can get out of the way and hit a wide open 15 footer when completely unguarded.  Quite honestly I can do that.

Why not expect something from him instead of apologizing for him, it's not just offensively that he doesn't look impressive, I don't see him hustling, working that hard or playing mistake free--he just looks slow, lost and overwhelmed most of the time.

As to your theory on bulky slower bigs I would argue that Perk, when with the Celts, with effort, hustle and determination contradicted your premise.  Sullinger looks so much more determined out there than JJJ?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 01:58:15 AM by feckless »
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2012, 02:24:34 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
JJJ is just horrible. What does this guy do other than run around the court like a decapitated chicken? No purpose whatsoever just running around like an idiot. Please someone tell me why we should keep him?

« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2012, 06:19:39 AM »

Offline TyrekeCeltics

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
After watching a lot of his summer league games I think he doesnt have the motor and willingness to perform at a high level! IMO Sullinger has already surpassed him in the depth chart. The problem is that he doesnt really have any value,but I hope we can trade him to Memphis in the S&T deal that brought us Terry and will help the Mavs to get Mayo!

« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2012, 07:28:13 AM »

Offline Reyquila

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
  • Let them hate, as long as they fear
Is JuJuan Johnson useless? Yes. Next topic, please.
And someday in the midst of time,
When they ask you if you knew me
Remember that you were a friend of mine

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2012, 07:30:04 AM »

fitzhickey

JJJ is just horrible. What does this guy do other than run around the court like a decapitated chicken? No purpose whatsoever just running around like an idiot. Please someone tell me why we should keep him?
Agree completely. He looks brain dead on the court