Author Topic: JaJuan Johnson = Useless??  (Read 29403 times)

Re: JaJuan Johnson = Useless??
« Reply #105 on: July 20, 2012, 02:38:42 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
That's why you hear Doc and Danny talk about using him at the 3.  As a small forward, he can win battles in the post with his length, and his high center of gravity is less of an issue.  If he shortens that release on his jumper, he could also shoot right over most 3's.  So if he's agile enough to defend the position, there's a lot to like there.  He has a long way to go, though.

I think it's been just Sam Mitchell during the summer league who's talked incessantly about JJJ having to become a 3.  When he mentioned that to Ainge, Ainge didn't seem to buy it.  

I can't imagine JJJ as a 3.  He just doesn't have the dribbling ability or long-range shooting wing players must have.  I don't think he'd be able to stay in front of perimeter players either.  Even though he was DPOY in his senior season, his defense was overrated and the times he found himself guarding smaller players, they frequently blew right past him.  

JJJ has two ways to score: turnaround in the post and spot up long mid-range jumper.  There are a lot of strong and big SFs so it's not a given that he can post up and wing players do not get free for spot up 2s like bigs do.  

« Reply #106 on: July 20, 2012, 02:52:43 AM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
At least he was plenty useful in us obtaining Lee.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #107 on: July 20, 2012, 02:57:06 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
That's why you hear Doc and Danny talk about using him at the 3.  As a small forward, he can win battles in the post with his length, and his high center of gravity is less of an issue.  If he shortens that release on his jumper, he could also shoot right over most 3's.  So if he's agile enough to defend the position, there's a lot to like there.  He has a long way to go, though.

I think it's been just Sam Mitchell during the summer league who's talked incessantly about JJJ having to become a 3.  When he mentioned that to Ainge, Ainge didn't seem to buy it.  

I can't imagine JJJ as a 3.  He just doesn't have the dribbling ability or long-range shooting wing players must have.  I don't think he'd be able to stay in front of perimeter players either.  Even though he was DPOY in his senior season, his defense was overrated and the times he found himself guarding smaller players, they frequently blew right past him.  

JJJ has two ways to score: turnaround in the post and spot up long mid-range jumper.  There are a lot of strong and big SFs so it's not a given that he can post up and wing players do not get free for spot up 2s like bigs do.  

I don't have the quote but Danny said he would have to play 3 not just to benefit the team but mostly to benefit JJJ.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)