Author Topic: Would you trade Rondo for Bynum & Nash?  (Read 17402 times)

Re: Would you trade Rondo for Bynum & Nash?
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2012, 11:32:12 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I sometimes wonder how we don't win the championship every single season when our point guard is worth more than

1) the best offensive point guard in basketball and
2) the second best center in basketball

combined.

The rest of our roster must be pretty awful.

Nash was the best offensive point guard in the league about 4-5 years ago. We'd be getting him next year. Bynum's such a superstar that he can barely get a team with Kobe and Gasol out of the first round.

« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2012, 11:33:15 AM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80
I sometimes wonder how we don't win the championship every single season when our point guard is worth more than

combined.

Nash was the best offensive point guard in the league about 4-5 years ago. We'd be getting him next year. Bynum's such a superstar that he can barely get a team with Kobe and Gasol out of the first round.

I can only assume you haven't seen Nash play in 4-5 seasons and you are just making guesses based on his age.  A guy who leads the league in assists and shoots almost 50-40-90 on a team with no solid second option.  Nash is certainly all washed up!

If you nitpick all the bad things about Bynum and Nash and cherrypick all the good things about Rondo, of course the trade looks uneven.  And the same works the other way around.  The middle ground, objectivity, heavily favors Nash and Bynum.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 11:42:02 AM by celtsfan84 »

« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2012, 11:42:15 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I cant believe this thread is still going. I am probably one of the biggest Rondo suppoerters on the board and I continually bash and put down bad trade involving Rondo and would keep him for anything.....

With that being said, come on. There is no way that you dont accept this deal. Nash and Bynum for Rondo is a complete no brainer. I mean which lineup is better....

Rondo                           Nash
Bradley                          Bradley
Pierce                            Pierce
Bass                              Garnett
Garnett                          Bynum
6th Terry                       6th Terry
7th Green                      7th Green
8th Wilcox                     8th Bass

Its an absolute no brainer... Yes you give up a point guard of our future... But we still get three years of championship contending ball plus a big man for the future.

« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2012, 11:43:33 AM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
I cant believe this thread is still going. I am probably one of the biggest Rondo suppoerters on the board and I continually bash and put down bad trade involving Rondo and would keep him for anything.....

With that being said, come on. There is no way that you dont accept this deal. Nash and Bynum for Rondo is a complete no brainer. I mean which lineup is better....

Its an absolute no brainer... Yes you give up a point guard of our future... But we still get three years of championship contending ball plus a big man for the future.

Yea, I don't see how this deal is close for even the most ardent of Rondo supporters.  Maybe they should throw in Kobe, Gasol, and the Hollywood skyline?

« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2012, 11:45:22 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

combined.

I can only assume you haven't seen Nash play in 4-5 seasons and you are just making guesses based on his age.

If you nitpick all the bad things about Bynum and Nash and cherrypick all the good things about Rondo, of course the trade looks uneven.  And the same works the other way around.  The middle ground, objectivity, heavily favors Nash and Bynum.

You'd assume wrong. And the middle ground, objectivity, is well aware that Nash is on the decline and playing fewer minutes as well and realizes what that can mean for a 38 or so year old player.

« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2012, 11:46:08 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

You're about $12M short on your outgoing trade assets.

« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2012, 11:49:21 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

You're about $12M short on your outgoing trade assets.

The thread says nothing about a plausible situation where this would actually happen and get numbers involved... The thread asks a simple question. Would you trade Rondo for Nash and Bynum. The answer has to be yes. Would it or could it happen? Absoilutely not, 1) cap reasons as you suggest and 2) the Lakers wouldnt be dumb enough to pursue it. But thats not the question at hand.

« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2012, 11:52:07 AM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton

combined.

I can only assume you haven't seen Nash play in 4-5 seasons and you are just making guesses based on his age.

If you nitpick all the bad things about Bynum and Nash and cherrypick all the good things about Rondo, of course the trade looks uneven.  And the same works the other way around.  The middle ground, objectivity, heavily favors Nash and Bynum.

You'd assume wrong. And the middle ground, objectivity, is well aware that Nash is on the decline and playing fewer minutes as well and realizes what that can mean for a 38 or so year old player.

And with that decline in minutes, he shot a much higher FG% and lead the league is assists again.  The fewer minutes he plays than Rondo would be more than balanced out by the minutes that Bynum replaces of Bass, Wilcox, Steimsma, Hollins, or some other player whom is far lesser than Andrew Bynum.

I don't think the stated trade was "Rondo for Nash".  It seems to be "Rondo for Bynum & Nash".
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 11:58:13 AM by celtsfan84 »

« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2012, 11:54:58 AM »

Offline flyofchange

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 39
  • "Xs and Os versus checkbooks and bottom lines"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o19CaOSuD8

Thats all I have to say..... ;D

« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2012, 12:04:14 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

combined.

And with that decline in minutes, he shot a much higher FG% and lead the league is assists again.  The fewer minutes he plays than Rondo would be more than balanced out by the minutes that Bynum replaces of Bass, Wilcox, Steimsma, Hollins, or some other player whom is far lesser than Andrew Bynum.

I don't think the stated trade was "Rondo for Nash".  It seems to be "Rondo for Bynum & Nash".
your assumption is that Bynum can stay on the court.  I can see the appeal of the trade if health issues are overlooked but I think that's just putting optimistic blinders on. 

The truth is that Nash, while a pretty durable player so far, is well into his 30's.  thinking that continues is a big assumption.  Bynum has had notable health issues for years.  The assumption he'll be replacing lesser players on the court is again optimistic and has little basis  in reality.  He'll replace them for probably the majority of the games but not all and who knows his availability in the playoffs.

Rondo on the other hand has shown incredible durability which is very desirable on this team.  This is not a small thing to consider. 

One other item being overlooked here is that having seen how these 3 players do in the playoffs -- Rondo has shown he can step up his game in the playoffs.  Nash and Bynum, not so much.

« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2012, 12:08:53 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton

combined.

And with that decline in minutes, he shot a much higher FG% and lead the league is assists again.  The fewer minutes he plays than Rondo would be more than balanced out by the minutes that Bynum replaces of Bass, Wilcox, Steimsma, Hollins, or some other player whom is far lesser than Andrew Bynum.

your assumption is that Bynum can stay on the court.  I can see the appeal of the trade if health issues are overlooked but I think that's just putting optimistic blinders on.  

The truth is that Nash, while a pretty durable player so far, is well into his 30's.  thinking that continues is a big assumption.  Bynum has had notable health issues for years.  The assumption he'll be replacing lesser players on the court is again optimistic and has little basis  in reality.  He'll replace them for probably the majority of the games but not all and who knows his availability in the playoffs.

Rondo on the other hand has shown incredible durability which is very desirable on this team.  This is not a small thing to consider.  

One other item being overlooked here is that having seen how these 3 players do in the playoffs -- Rondo has shown he can step up his game in the playoffs.  Nash and Bynum, not so much.

Steve Nash's playoff numbers are very good.  It isn't his fault that his last four seasons weren't spent playing with 3 future Hall of Famers in a weak conference.

John Stockton played 82 games at ages 39 and 40.  I think assuming Nash suddenly misses boatloads of games is a fairly big assumption.  We are also entering an unprecedented era in health, training, and conditioning.  Players like Nash, Dirk, KG, and Pierce shouldn't be good at all.  Yet they are.  We don't have the same diets, exercise, and training staffs that Bob Cousy once had.

And Bynum played the 2010 NBA Finals with a torn meniscus and a sprained achilles.  And the Lakers beat us in that series.  I think assuming he would miss the playoffs entirely is another big assumption.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 12:16:14 PM by celtsfan84 »

« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2012, 12:41:31 PM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
I don't think that it's a fair question, since it cannot be done without significant "fillers". But if it was done, I would trade Nash for Lowry (pretty sure, Toronto would be happy to do it).

The question to me is really, who is the best player in the trade, Rondo or Bynum? Right now, I would say Rondo, but it is very close. Both are cornerstones on contending teams, but Rondo has the edge because he is so competitive, and has taken his team further last season. Plus he seems to learn more from his mistakes, than Bynum does. But perhaps Bynum could use a change of scenery to reach his full potential.

Not to neglect Bynum's health issues, but he played all games in the regular season - except from his suspension, one game with a sprained ankle and one game of rest - and averaged 35+ minutes.

« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2012, 12:52:40 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
For the record, just last year, Nash had a better PER, WS/48, assists percentage and TS% on a better offensive team with less weapons.

Adding in Bynum? A guy who has more championships than anyone on our team? Come on.

« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2012, 12:56:43 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

combined.

If you nitpick all the bad things about Bynum and Nash and cherrypick all the good things about Rondo, of course the trade looks uneven.  And the same works the other way around.  The middle ground, objectivity, heavily favors Nash and Bynum.

Just curious, who do you rate as the best offensive PG in basketball?

And where does Nash fall to in the rankings?

« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2012, 01:07:08 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

combined.

And with that decline in minutes, he shot a much higher FG% and lead the league is assists again.  The fewer minutes he plays than Rondo would be more than balanced out by the minutes that Bynum replaces of Bass, Wilcox, Steimsma, Hollins, or some other player whom is far lesser than Andrew Bynum.

your assumption is that Bynum can stay on the court.  I can see the appeal of the trade if health issues are overlooked but I think that's just putting optimistic blinders on.  

The truth is that Nash, while a pretty durable player so far, is well into his 30's.  thinking that continues is a big assumption.  Bynum has had notable health issues for years.  The assumption he'll be replacing lesser players on the court is again optimistic and has little basis  in reality.  He'll replace them for probably the majority of the games but not all and who knows his availability in the playoffs.

Rondo on the other hand has shown incredible durability which is very desirable on this team.  This is not a small thing to consider.  

One other item being overlooked here is that having seen how these 3 players do in the playoffs -- Rondo has shown he can step up his game in the playoffs.  Nash and Bynum, not so much.

Steve Nash's playoff numbers are very good.  It isn't his fault that his last four seasons weren't spent playing with 3 future Hall of Famers in a weak conference.

John Stockton played 82 games at ages 39 and 40.  I think assuming Nash suddenly misses boatloads of games is a fairly big assumption.  We are also entering an unprecedented era in health, training, and conditioning.  Players like Nash, Dirk, KG, and Pierce shouldn't be good at all.  Yet they are.  We don't have the same diets, exercise, and training staffs that Bob Cousy once had.

And Bynum played the 2010 NBA Finals with a torn meniscus and a sprained achilles.  And the Lakers beat us in that series.  I think assuming he would miss the playoffs entirely is another big assumption.
I'm not stating that Nash will miss boatloads of games nor that Bynum will miss the playoffs.  I stated that expecting Nash to remain completely healthy at his age is optimistic.  Overly so IMHO.  also, saying the big 3 are hall of famers is the easy way out when explaining Rondo stepping up his game.  Ray and PP certainly weren't playing like hall of famers in this year's playoffs.  Throw in the fact Bradley was knocked out, and that Bass and Pietrus were pretty unproductive, I think Rondo stepping up his game covered up a lot of that.  as for the 3 prior years, Ray wasn't even an all-star level player.  KG, until the last half of this year, was not his HOF self.  PP has been an all-star talent until his knee injury this year but there's a lot of really good SFs in the East so he's not exactly a huge advantage.

As you stated, Bynum was again injured in 2010.   He's been hurt a lot for a young player. 

Rondo, injuries or not, has not missed much time at all. 

I'm not against a Rondo trade provided it makes the team better.  I don't think this deal is a sure-fire upgrade simply because I feel it's overly optimistic that these 2 players will be able to stay healthy all year.