Author Topic: (off topic) new workout routine?  (Read 9903 times)

(off topic) new workout routine?
« on: July 13, 2012, 10:01:06 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Hey guys since there's not much going on in the celtics world I figured it'd be a good time to bring this up.

I'm 22 years old and have been lifting for a few years. Right now I'm doing a 3 day split of back/biceps, legs, and chest/biceps. It's a little dry and I'm getting a little bored..

Anybody have any new ideas?
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Re: (off topic) new workout routine?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 10:02:46 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Hey guys since there's not much going on in the celtics world I figured it'd be a good time to bring this up.

I'm 22 years old and have been lifting for a few years. Right now I'm doing a 3 day split of back/biceps, legs, and chest/biceps. It's a little dry and I'm getting a little bored..

What's the goal of the workout?

edit: Also, I assume this is supposed to read "chest/triceps", unless you're _really_ doing 2 biceps routines, which would be kind of weird.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 10:05:40 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Its a bit pricey but I recommend the Insanity workout dvds.  Best workouts of my life.  Absolutely worth it.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 10:09:52 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo

edit: Also, I assume this is supposed to read "chest/triceps", unless you're _really_ doing 2 biceps routines, which would be kind of weird.

Ya it is suppose to read triceps, I just woke up lol

The goal of the workout is to lean up a little bit. I bulked a lot this winter and had some nice gains but Im trying to trim up a little but don't wanna go crazy and lose what I worked hard for this winter. I do cardio a few times a week as well.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 10:20:45 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
Its a bit pricey but I recommend the Insanity workout dvds.  Best workouts of my life.  Absolutely worth it.

Ya it's hard to believe those people on the infomercials but they really work you say?

I'm not much of a home workout guy and prefer trips to the gym but I could certainly incorporate some of it in.

It's 7 days a week, right?
*CB Miami Heat*

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 10:24:05 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Ya it is suppose to read triceps, I just woke up lol

The goal of the workout is to lean up a little bit. I bulked a lot this winter and had some nice gains but Im trying to trim up a little but don't wanna go crazy and lose what I worked hard for this winter. I do cardio a few times a week as well.
I am by no means an expert, but my sense is you have to go down to weights where you can do 12-14 reps -- this will build some endurance, and will likely maintain most of the bulk adequately.

I probably don't work out at the level you do (twice a weeks, no splits), but after an intensive, at least for my standards, building phase (i.e. when the weights get too high), I like to step back and do no-weight excercises (pull-ups, one-legged squats, etc.), for a bit, coupled with intensive stretching/flexibility stuff and cardio. A couple weeks of this, then back to the weights.

Also, if you get bored, it may be worth to rotate the exercises you do -- when your muscles get accustomed to the angles/motions, the workout becomes less effective -- and less fun ;).

Again, I'm mostly self-taught off the Internet, so take everything I say with a grain of salt, but hopefully there are at least some good ideas.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 10:36:13 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Its a bit pricey but I recommend the Insanity workout dvds.  Best workouts of my life.  Absolutely worth it.

I'm curious about this as well if you could elaborate.

It's right up my alley.  I hate going to the gym and lifting with too many weights (stuff like bench, machines, etc) but I am starting to workout now.  Doing abs, pushups, and some free weights and that kind of thing and I'm looking for more to do and something structured to push me would be nice.

I am really interested in trying out some of the workout I read Robert Downey Jr. did for Iron Man 2.  It's a lot of balance based alternative weight workouts.  I get bored just doing reps on a bench or whatever so it appeals to me.

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/iron-man-workout

and another page with more videos of the workouts:

http://joshsgarage.typepad.com/articles/2010/05/robert-downey-jrs-iron-man-2-kettlebell-workout-1.html

Not sure if anyone has tried any of this stuff and where you can find some of the items used.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 10:42:56 AM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 10:43:25 AM »

Offline jojowhite10

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 49
Don't want to step on previous posts' toes here but...

Don't do more than 12 reps, that is pointless. You are training for hypertrophy, which is the 6-12 rep range depending on the exercise and weight. You aren't training for cardiovascular endurance. If you can put up a weight 15 times, it is more about muscle endurance than growth.

Also, while I think cardio is great (played soccer and sprinted track/hurdles in college) you've got to be doing the right type.

Lifting weights naturally boosts your metabolism for the next ~24 hours once you are done a serious workout. Cardio only is helping your metabolism while you are running. The ideal for losing fat is a combination of weight lifting and HIIT (high intensity interval training).

I assume you are not training to play on a competitive sports team, so doing sets of sprints is much more effective for your shape as well as your overall time spent working out.

Make sure to squat--it's the best exercise you can do. Naturally boosts testosterone levels, works every muscle below the bar in some way, shape, or form. Also try to work out your shoulders on the legs day. It's a huge muscle group and will help in other lifts (such as bench) as well.

Hope this helped.

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 10:46:53 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Its a bit pricey but I recommend the Insanity workout dvds.  Best workouts of my life.  Absolutely worth it.

I'm curious about this as well if you could elaborate.

It's right up my alley.  I hate going to the gym and lifting with too many weights but I am starting to workout now.  Doing abs, pushups, and some free weights and that kind of thing and I'm looking for more to do.

I am really interested in trying out some of the workout I read Robert Downey Jr. did for Iron Man 2.  It's a lot of balance based alternative weight workouts.  I get bored just doing reps on a bench or whatever so it appeals to me.

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/iron-man-workout

and another page with more videos of the workouts:

http://joshsgarage.typepad.com/articles/2010/05/robert-downey-jrs-iron-man-2-kettlebell-workout-1.html

Not sure if anyone has tried any of this stuff and where you can find some of the items used.

I did two cycles of P90X, then did Insanity, and now I do a hybrid of Insanity and P90X.  

The first cycle of P90X I didn't diet, but I lost some weight and put on a bunch of muscle (prior to that I had been going to the gym to lift and running).  

The second cycle I really didn't watch what I was eating at all (since I was working out 6 days a week for an hour or more), and I did put on some weight as my body got used to the workouts.  

I then did Insanity two times in a row and watched what I ate and lost about 25 pounds between Labor Day and Christmas of last year.  Since Insanity is weak on bicep exercises (tons of pushups, not pullups), I skipped their recovery day each week (which is mostly a waste of time) and did a bicep P90X workout to maintain what I had.  

P90X is more muscle building and Insanity is more cardio (with a ton of jumping, so be careful if you have leg issues), though both have aspect of the other in it (P90X has some a Plymometric day and a Kenpo day each week and Insanity has a ton of pushups in each workout, though not much for biceps).  

Since the New Year I have done a P90X/Insanity 3/3 split 6 days a week and have continued to watch what I eat, but not as strictly as I did during my Insanity time.  I have lost another 10-15 pounds (but that was largely due to my two week trip to Nicaragua to build a school, where I ate rice and beans and didn't drink at all).  

I find that split quite nice since I get three rigorous days of cardio with some upper body mixed in and I get three days of lifting.  I also strongly recommend it since you no longer have to pay gym membership or wait for treadmills/weights/machines at the gym.  

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 10:52:57 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

Need to mix in some Shoulders and Triceps. What about Cardio?

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 10:55:50 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

Ya it's hard to believe those people on the infomercials but they really work you say?

I'm not much of a home workout guy and prefer trips to the gym but I could certainly incorporate some of it in.

It's 7 days a week, right?

its 6 days a week each workout is around 40 minutes for the first cycle, later on it bumps up to around an hour.

I wear dress pants and dress shirts to work, I had somebody ask me the other day if I had been working out, and I have only been doing it for 3 weeks so I think it works pretty well.

the nice thing is that you don't need anything other than the dvds to do the workout
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 10:57:38 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
Don't want to step on previous posts' toes here but...

Don't do more than 12 reps, that is pointless. You are training for hypertrophy, which is the 6-12 rep range depending on the exercise and weight. You aren't training for cardiovascular endurance. If you can put up a weight 15 times, it is more about muscle endurance than growth.

Also, while I think cardio is great (played soccer and sprinted track/hurdles in college) you've got to be doing the right type.

Lifting weights naturally boosts your metabolism for the next ~24 hours once you are done a serious workout. Cardio only is helping your metabolism while you are running. The ideal for losing fat is a combination of weight lifting and HIIT (high intensity interval training).

I assume you are not training to play on a competitive sports team, so doing sets of sprints is much more effective for your shape as well as your overall time spent working out.

Make sure to squat--it's the best exercise you can do. Naturally boosts testosterone levels, works every muscle below the bar in some way, shape, or form. Also try to work out your shoulders on the legs day. It's a huge muscle group and will help in other lifts (such as bench) as well.

Hope this helped.

Ya I usually stay in the 8-12 rep range but also had great results with the 5x5 rep scheme. I incorporate shoulders at least once every other week.

I've heard of HIIT and probably should do some more of it. I also do play basketball a couple times a week which is generally where I get my cardio.

I've also don't GVT (German volume training) and enjoyed it although it gets boring pretty quick
*CB Miami Heat*

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 11:04:20 AM »

Offline TheWatersEdge

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
I was in the same boat and actually ordered Insanity last week as well.  Looking forward to seeing how it goes and will report back...

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 11:26:27 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

I did two cycles of P90X, then did Insanity, and now I do a hybrid of Insanity and P90X.  

The first cycle of P90X I didn't diet, but I lost some weight and put on a bunch of muscle (prior to that I had been going to the gym to lift and running).  

The second cycle I really didn't watch what I was eating at all (since I was working out 6 days a week for an hour or more), and I did put on some weight as my body got used to the workouts.  

I then did Insanity two times in a row and watched what I ate and lost about 25 pounds between Labor Day and Christmas of last year.  Since Insanity is weak on bicep exercises (tons of pushups, not pullups), I skipped their recovery day each week (which is mostly a waste of time) and did a bicep P90X workout to maintain what I had.  

P90X is more muscle building and Insanity is more cardio (with a ton of jumping, so be careful if you have leg issues), though both have aspect of the other in it (P90X has some a Plymometric day and a Kenpo day each week and Insanity has a ton of pushups in each workout, though not much for biceps).  

Since the New Year I have done a P90X/Insanity 3/3 split 6 days a week and have continued to watch what I eat, but not as strictly as I did during my Insanity time.  I have lost another 10-15 pounds (but that was largely due to my two week trip to Nicaragua to build a school, where I ate rice and beans and didn't drink at all).  

I find that split quite nice since I get three rigorous days of cardio with some upper body mixed in and I get three days of lifting.  I also strongly recommend it since you no longer have to pay gym membership or wait for treadmills/weights/machines at the gym.  

Perhaps I will look into P90x then as I am not trying to lose weight.  Cardio for being in shape is good don't get me wrong but I am not looking to lose any weight. I'm pretty skinny and I'm just trying to build muscle.

Right now I am very intrigued by kettlebells and indian clubs though.  Might order some of each.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 11:44:37 AM »

Offline TheBigTicket23

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
  • Anything is possible!
What about watching Kevin Garnett and do some knuckle push ups!! :D :D