Author Topic: The Celtics targeting free agent guards O.J. Mayo or Courtney Lee  (Read 13238 times)

Re: The Celtics targeting free agent guards O.J. Mayo or Courtney Lee
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2012, 11:04:08 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Does Mayo's bird rights transfer to Boston in a sign and trade? If so, doesn't that mean we can sign him over the cap like we would have with Ray Allen?

A player has to be given a contract of at least three years in a S&T (only the first has to be guaranteed) so that he doesn't get his Bird rights any earlier than if had signed directly as a free agent.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2012, 11:18:45 PM »

Offline SCBirdman

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 31
If we get Courtney Lee, it will be in a 3 way with Houston and Orlando that is in the DW12 trade.

If we land Mayo, it will be in a trade with Memphis and or Dallas in some three way that includes a S&T for Terry.

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2012, 11:23:19 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
If we get Courtney Lee, it will be in a 3 way with Houston and Orlando that is in the DW12 trade.

If we land Mayo, it will be in a trade with Memphis and or Dallas in some three way that includes a S&T for Terry.

If we do a S+T for Terry one of them will take the MLE.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2012, 04:54:55 AM »

Offline Lopez3

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 0
Good idea

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2012, 05:05:10 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

If we do a S+T for Terry one of them will take the MLE.
Terry is schedule to be signed and introduced Saturday isn't he? The Dwight deal will carry on longer so I doubt it.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2012, 04:24:19 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
From Twitter:

Sam Amico ‏@SamAmicoFSO

Mentioned most in NBA calls today: Whether or not Celtics can work out sign-and-trade for OJ Mayo, or perhaps Courtney Lee.

Ainge is working the phones.  Mayo would cap a superb offseason.

I so dearly hope Ainge gets Lee rather than Mayo.

Lucky do you still feel this way?

Not trying to hate. But from what you have seen of both of these guys, do yo still feel the same?

I would have to say that Mayo looks good and I would have taken him over Lee.

I remember this was a highly debated topic in the summer. I bet Memphis feels dumb now. Dallas looks smart. Mayo is living up to the hype in Big D.

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2012, 04:30:01 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
From Twitter:

Sam Amico ‏@SamAmicoFSO

Mentioned most in NBA calls today: Whether or not Celtics can work out sign-and-trade for OJ Mayo, or perhaps Courtney Lee.

Not trying to hate. But from what you have seen of both of these guys, do yo still feel the same?

I remember this was a highly debated topic in the summer. I bet Memphis feels dumb now. Dallas looks smart. Mayo is living up to the hype in Big D.
If OJ Mayo continues to shoot 58% from behind the 3 point line you will be completely justified in crowing about his performance.

Otherwise his game this year has been almost exactly the same as his past performances. He's not defending, rebounding, assisting, hitting two point shots, or even getting to the rim more.

« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2012, 04:55:09 PM »

Offline GreenNote

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 11
From Twitter:

Sam Amico ‏@SamAmicoFSO

If OJ Mayo continues to shoot 58% from behind the 3 point line you will be completely justified in crowing about his performance.

Otherwise his game this year has been almost exactly the same as his past performances. He's not defending, rebounding, assisting, hitting two point shots, or even getting to the rim more.

If you saw him against GS the other night you would change your mind. He's an all-star right now. he was getting to the lane and hitting floaters, layups ...

« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2012, 04:57:16 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
From Twitter:

Sam Amico ‏@SamAmicoFSO

If you saw him against GS the other night you would change your mind. He's an all-star right now. he was getting to the lane and hitting floaters, layups ...
Carving up the Warriors without Bogut doesn't make you an all-star.

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2012, 05:13:26 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
From Twitter:

Sam Amico ‏@SamAmicoFSO

I have to confess, I haven't seen much of either guy this season.

But, I still think Lee's defense will be more of a boon to the present roster than Mayo's offense might have been.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, signing Mayo would have meant no available MLE to bring in Jason Terry? That's another consideration.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2012, 05:36:01 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
I was going off the basis of it sounding like you would prefer Lee over OJ based on us being able to do a S+T for either.

Mayo. - I am not crowing. It is what it is. He is averaging 21.8 ppg on 14 shots. His 3 point percentage will come down but he is basically shooting 50 % from the field.

But I have watched him a few times and he is being given a larger role then he has ever had before. He plays with a lot of control and he makes plays.

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2012, 05:47:13 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I don't think Mayo would be as happy or productive in 20 minutes a night in Boston. He's playing free and easy in Dallas, while everyone waits for Dirk to return.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2012, 06:04:18 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Well if Mayo was signed by Boston and he had the same start to his season I would bet he would be playing more than 20min/game.  He would be the starting 2 guard  w/ terry coming off the bench.

But the big thing with this hindsight discussion is really how good of a def player is mayo?  I still think C Lee is a better overall player even if he gives us a bit less scoring.  Plus I think C Lee fits better with the C's culture of playing more self-less.

« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2012, 06:16:38 PM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54
Well, OJ Mayo played the sixth man role in Memphis and didn't really thrive. You can say he was unhappy and unmotivated there, but I suppose it's because he's a volume scorer who needs to shoot.
It's just a sample of size to make a comparison. Lee is definitely a superior defender. Actually, compared to Mayo, Nate Robinson may be a superior defender, too.
Mayo has been shooting like crazy so far, but as I said, it's just a couple of games. For comparison, the favourite for the most developed player prize, Klay Thompson, has shot 33% from the field so far.
Yet, I'd definitely not trade Klay for Mayo, if I was GS.

Of course, we don't have someone like Klay. We have Lee.
But when I look at it from the team's perspective, Lee fits in better. There was definitely not going to be enough minutes for Mayo, anyway, with Bradley back in roster and Terry playing the 6th man role.
The only way this was happening was to get Mayo instead of Terry and I'd be reluctant to make such a choice.

« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2012, 06:24:24 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Difference between Lee and Mayo is that Mayo wanted what was best for Mayo while Lee wanted the best chance to win. Mayo wanted to showcase himself for a bigger contract for a team that needed a scorer and would have given him minutes. Hello Dallas. If we are seriously regretting not acquiring Mayo then I guess we should have never traded Moore cause he's having a better season than Lee too.

Still very early. Lee's still finding his groove and I think consistency is on the way. I'm not worried at all.