Author Topic: Rockets to amnesty Scola  (Read 12954 times)

Re: Scola to be amnestied - not likely claimed due to price tag of $30m
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2012, 09:29:30 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
He will probably end up in LA or Miami. I'd love to have him though. Put Bass on the bench, Scola to starting PF, move KG to center.

« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2012, 09:33:23 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Would love to have Scola.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2012, 09:36:09 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Id love Scola but probably not a snowball chance in hell we get him.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

Re: Rockets to amnesty Scola
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2012, 09:37:06 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
How did Luis Scola manage to get so overrated anyways?  He's a good player... not a great defender... gets you like 14 and 7... maybe less if he was on a better team.  Ok so he's like a poor man's Carlos Boozer.  How is it that his name has become so high profile?  People acting like he was good enough to be a key cog in a Chris Paul trade.  I don't get it.  He's good... he's 32 years old and has never been an allstar.

He's a solid, reliable PF who can bang the mid-range shot (45%) and finish in the paint (70%) for reasonable money (3/$30).  As an amnestied player, if a team can get him for $3m a season, that's quite the value. 

absolutely. its a no brainer. I'd love to see him end up in Dallas, just so that everyone who was writing off Dallas will have to rethink that a bit...

But I bet he ends up in Minny instead, who will still be able to get C. Lee, but which might then open up the oppty for the Cs to bring back Steemer.

Scola would be a great pickup for Dallas. I am pulling for the Mavs here.

« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2012, 09:47:44 PM »

Offline CantBeRight

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • Not 1...not 2...not 3...not 4...BUT 17
He was always a warrior, busted his tail off every night to try to get the win. We will miss you Luis.
Celtics fan in Houston.

« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2012, 09:50:22 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Great news on Scola!

Can anyone offer him a starting job on a contending team for more than the minimum (BAE)? I would definitely start him alongside KG, and bring Bass off the bench.

As confirmed by cap guru Larry Coon, a player with a partially guarantee salary requires a minimum bid of the non-guaranteed amount.  Scola is set to make $9.4 million and $10.2 million over the next two years.  His final season is for $11.0 million with just $1 million guaranteed.

Therefore a minimum amnesty claim for Scola would start at the non-guarantee portion of exactly $10,041,037, per year.

Few teams have that kind of cap space.  Would a $30 million investment in Scola the right move when he can just clear waivers and get an offer at a more economical rate?

Instead it remains highly likely that Scola clears amnesty waivers completely.

« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2012, 09:54:08 PM »

Offline Tradetime

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 115
I like Scola's hustle. He seems like the type of player ready to mix it up with anyone he is up against.

We need to start thinking about players like this to round out our roster, instead of waiting and waiting to see what Lee/Mayo are going to do. New Jersey has a pretty interesting team now, and it was built in a week!

« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2012, 10:04:11 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
If Scola clears amnesty waivers, we have to be all over that guy.  He would be a huge addition to this team, even though we are overloaded at PF. 

« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2012, 10:08:15 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
He will probably end up in LA or Miami. I'd love to have him though. Put Bass on the bench, Scola to starting PF, move KG to center.
Scola is better than Bass

« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2012, 10:11:16 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Scola is better than Bass

I agree. That's why I said I'd start Scola.

« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2012, 10:11:56 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
According to Hoopsworld http://www.hoopsworld.com/amnesty-claim-on-scola-prohibitive,  when a player with a non-guaranteed contract is amnestied, the roster claim from an under the cap team has to be at least for the non-guaranteed amount.  Scola's third year, at $11m, is only guaranteed for $1m.  Any team who puts in a roster claim has to pay him 3/$30m.

If no one claims Scola, he will be available as an UFA.  From what I understand, whatever the new team pays the player, it comes off the tab the old team has to pay on the amnestied contract.  If Scola puts him out there for the vetmin, he's going to be coveted by every contender. 

He'd be a perfect fit here in Boston. Scola is a savvy vet who can bang the midrange jumper (45%, same as KG) and is also very efficient int he paint (70%).  He can rebound a bit, and is very gritty.  One logival spot for him would be to San Antonio to play with his Olympic teammate Manu Ginobli.

This is inaccurate, or certainly incomplete.  If he is claimed outright off waivers, then yes, some team has to pay the full value left on his contract.  But if he not claimed, he is bid on, and teams can pay what they bid.  The bid is divided amongst guaranteed years left in the contract, and the Rockets foot the rest of the bill.  The amount paid this year in the bid has to fit into the salary cap, and trade exceptions can be used.  If Scola is as good as people on this board think he is, he will absolutely be bid on and claimed by some team, without question.

« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2012, 10:16:59 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
Rockets 'amnesty' Scola to free up salary to get Howard

hmmmm?...?...?

« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2012, 10:32:35 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
According to Hoopsworld http://www.hoopsworld.com/amnesty-claim-on-scola-prohibitive,  when a player with a non-guaranteed contract is amnestied, the roster claim from an under the cap team has to be at least for the non-guaranteed amount.  Scola's third year, at $11m, is only guaranteed for $1m.  Any team who puts in a roster claim has to pay him 3/$30m.

If no one claims Scola, he will be available as an UFA.  From what I understand, whatever the new team pays the player, it comes off the tab the old team has to pay on the amnestied contract.  If Scola puts him out there for the vetmin, he's going to be coveted by every contender.  

He'd be a perfect fit here in Boston. Scola is a savvy vet who can bang the midrange jumper (45%, same as KG) and is also very efficient int he paint (70%).  He can rebound a bit, and is very gritty.  One logival spot for him would be to San Antonio to play with his Olympic teammate Manu Ginobli.

Eric Pincus just tweeted that he was wrong in his earlier Hoopsworld post, and after conferring with Larry Coon, that the actual minimum bid number for an under the cap team is $10m.  

Scola will never hit the open market.

« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2012, 08:08:22 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
According to Hoopsworld http://www.hoopsworld.com/amnesty-claim-on-scola-prohibitive,  when a player with a non-guaranteed contract is amnestied, the roster claim from an under the cap team has to be at least for the non-guaranteed amount.  Scola's third year, at $11m, is only guaranteed for $1m.  Any team who puts in a roster claim has to pay him 3/$30m.

If no one claims Scola, he will be available as an UFA.  From what I understand, whatever the new team pays the player, it comes off the tab the old team has to pay on the amnestied contract.  If Scola puts him out there for the vetmin, he's going to be coveted by every contender.  

He'd be a perfect fit here in Boston. Scola is a savvy vet who can bang the midrange jumper (45%, same as KG) and is also very efficient int he paint (70%).  He can rebound a bit, and is very gritty.  One logival spot for him would be to San Antonio to play with his Olympic teammate Manu Ginobli.

Eric Pincus just tweeted that he was wrong in his earlier Hoopsworld post, and after conferring with Larry Coon, that the actual minimum bid number for an under the cap team is $10m.  

Scola will never hit the open market.

How do you reconcile a minimum bid of $10M with him never reaching free agency?

How many teams still have the kind of cap space to absorb Scola on that bid and still continue with their development plans?

It's been mentioned in both threads on this topic that Dallas could bid on him. I think he'd be a good fit there, though it would be weird to see Dallas shedding all that salary and then bidding on Scola.  But they could lock him up at least for a couple seasons.

Let's assume no one bids on him, just for fun.  What happens then?  Who are the serious competitors for his services?  If you say LA or MIA, then you have to include BOS because we are in the same situation financially.

« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2012, 09:11:47 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

No he won't. Dallas is my best guess based on what I hear...