Author Topic: Rockets to amnesty Scola  (Read 12959 times)

Re: Rockets to amnesty Scola
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2012, 07:18:28 PM »

Offline jojowhite10

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 49
he would be a good pickup for us if we could get him for the vet minimum

That's an understatement. He's going through the amnesty process however, now. I can see someone under the cap bidding for him.

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2012, 07:31:38 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213

That's an understatement. He's going through the amnesty process however, now. I can see someone under the cap bidding for him.

Scola and KG playing together would be sick.  They both his the jumper at a high rate - 45. However, there is a large Spanish speaking fan base in Miami.   

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2012, 07:33:36 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!

Scola and KG playing together would be sick.  They both his the jumper at a high rate - 45. However, there is a large Spanish speaking fan base in Miami.   

I didn't know there was any fan base in Miami?

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2012, 07:41:06 PM »

Offline jimmehx

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 166
Man Houston is just going nuts. Does Dwight have any desire to go there? Not that I've heard...

Why not get something back for a top big man ?  ???

"Uhhh... Wife makes chicken..." - Brian Scalabrine 2007.

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2012, 07:46:50 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
Man Houston is just going nuts. Does Dwight have any desire to go there? Not that I've heard...

But now that he can't sign with the Nets as a free agent, teams are probably thinking they can convince him to stay.

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2012, 07:55:02 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Lol.. that vetoed Chris Paul trade is starting to make even more sense in retrospect.  How about some love for David Stern here for saving the Hornets from doom.

Kevin Martin, Luis Scola and Lamar Odom.  Odom was trash on his new team.  Scola is getting amnestied... Martin can't stay healthy.  It would have stuck the hornets will horrible contracts and a mediocre team.  Instead they got Eric Gordon, the pick that became Austin Rivers... and properly tanked for Anthony Davis.  THat's how you rebuild a team.  

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2012, 07:56:54 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
Lol.. that vetoed Chris Paul trade is starting to make even more sense in retrospect.  How about some love for David Stern here for saving the Hornets from doom.

Kevin Martin, Luis Scola and Lamar Odom.  Odom was trash on his new team.  Scola is getting amnestied... Martin can't stay healthy.  It would have stuck the hornets will horrible contracts and a mediocre team.  Instead they got Eric Gordon, the pick that became Austin Rivers... and properly tanked for Anthony Davis.  THat's how you rebuild a team.  

Plus it kept CP3 out of a Lakers jersey.

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2012, 08:00:52 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
How did Luis Scola manage to get so overrated anyways?  He's a good player... not a great defender... gets you like 14 and 7... maybe less if he was on a better team.  Ok so he's like a poor man's Carlos Boozer.  How is it that his name has become so high profile?  People acting like he was good enough to be a key cog in a Chris Paul trade.  I don't get it.  He's good... he's 32 years old and has never been an allstar.

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2012, 08:07:06 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
How did Luis Scola manage to get so overrated anyways?  He's a good player... not a great defender... gets you like 14 and 7... maybe less if he was on a better team.  Ok so he's like a poor man's Carlos Boozer.  How is it that his name has become so high profile?  People acting like he was good enough to be a key cog in a Chris Paul trade.  I don't get it.  He's good... he's 32 years old and has never been an allstar.

He's a solid, reliable PF who can bang the mid-range shot (45%) and finish in the paint (70%) for reasonable money (3/$30).  As an amnestied player, if a team can get him for $3m a season, that's quite the value. 

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2012, 08:08:14 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

He's a solid, reliable PF who can bang the mid-range shot (45%) and finish in the paint (70%) for reasonable money (3/$30).  As an amnestied player, if a team can get him for $3m a season, that's quite the value. 
I agree.  But prior to this, people were completely outraged that Stern killed the CP3 trade.  I like Scola for $3m a season.  I don't like him as a key trade piece for a superstar.

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2012, 08:38:23 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

That kind of production doesn't equal a 10 million per year player especially when you consider his knees.  Humphries produces better stats and won't make that kind of cash....

« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2012, 09:22:38 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
The Rockets sure are committed. You can't deny them that.

gotta love morey
he's all in
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2012, 09:24:14 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Would love to have him.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

Scola to be amnestied - not likely claimed due to price tag of $30m
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2012, 09:26:26 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
According to Hoopsworld http://www.hoopsworld.com/amnesty-claim-on-scola-prohibitive,  when a player with a non-guaranteed contract is amnestied, the roster claim from an under the cap team has to be at least for the non-guaranteed amount.  Scola's third year, at $11m, is only guaranteed for $1m.  Any team who puts in a roster claim has to pay him 3/$30m.

If no one claims Scola, he will be available as an UFA.  From what I understand, whatever the new team pays the player, it comes off the tab the old team has to pay on the amnestied contract.  If Scola puts him out there for the vetmin, he's going to be coveted by every contender.  

He'd be a perfect fit here in Boston. Scola is a savvy vet who can bang the midrange jumper (45%, same as KG) and is also very efficient int he paint (70%).  He can rebound a bit, and is very gritty.  One logival spot for him would be to San Antonio to play with his Olympic teammate Manu Ginobli.

EDIT

Eric Pincus just tweeted that he was wrong in his earlier Hoopsworld post, and after conferring with Larry Coonm that the actual minimum bid number for an under the cap team is $10m. 

Scola will never hit the open market.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 10:33:07 PM by TripleOT »

« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2012, 09:26:37 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

absolutely. its a no brainer. I'd love to see him end up in Dallas, just so that everyone who was writing off Dallas will have to rethink that a bit...

But I bet he ends up in Minny instead, who will still be able to get C. Lee, but which might then open up the oppty for the Cs to bring back Steemer.
Celtics fan for life.