Author Topic: Wade and LBJ now impossible to guard with Ray in the fold?  (Read 11028 times)

Re: Wade and LBJ now impossible to guard with Ray in the fold?
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2012, 07:10:26 PM »

Offline Celtics Fan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Well we will see.

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2012, 07:16:37 PM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
Sam Amico ‏@SamAmicoFSO
Latest Ray Allen buzz: Ex-Celtics teammates ticked. Already talk they plan to stick Rondo on him full court, keep him from getting ball.

This is the value of a Ray Allen; stick one guy on him like glue and it just creates more space for LBJ, Wade, Bosh.  I think this is a big aspect of Ray that people tend to overlook.  It's more of a by product of his skill, but whatever you want to call it, it is effective.  The question becomes how are you going to pick your poison if you're defending the Heat?

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2012, 07:20:58 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
it'll just be the same as usual, Ray's role is probably the same as Shane, Miller and Jones on offense. Sit there, look pretty, and wait for the open shot.

I trust the Celtics defense, but I think we should trust our guys more on one on one defense. Just try their best and keep Wade/James under 30 pts and we should be good. I have faith that Bradley can definitely do that on his own. Not so sure about Pierce next season or even Green's defense on James.

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2012, 07:23:30 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
The Heat were lights out from three in the latter part of the series against us. I don't really see how that changes. Ray is good, but he is older and he clearly showed his age with us. Sure, his ankles are supposed to be as good as new come the start of the season, but who knows? Miller, Jones, Chalmers, and Lebron are already very good 3pt shooters. I don't see how an older, slowed down Allen makes them that much better...

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2012, 07:24:09 PM »

Offline bbd24

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 118
Some scouts seem to think so  :-X

@ChrisMannixSI
A lot of "oh bleep" responses from scouts RE: Allen to Miami. "With him outside, Wade and LBJ are going to be impossible to guard," says one

https://twitter.com/ChrisMannixSI/statuses/221662103080153088

With Ray in the fold, no not impossible to guard. With the Refs in the fold, yes

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2012, 07:26:00 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Wade and James didn't beat us the HEAT's best players Bill Kennedy and Joey Crawford did.  Maybe Ray wants to play with greats like them.   

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2012, 07:33:28 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Ray is gonna hit some important shots , but he is not gonna propel the HEat anywhere.  Its really all about LeBron , the man child finally grew up . 

He now knows HOW to win..... Ray didn't teach him.  Wade and Ray are getting older.  The bulk of the scoring stillhas to be LBJ , night in and night out....if he is not in the game ,they can't win.

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2012, 07:46:04 PM »

Offline Django

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 23
LeBron is an incredible passer. Even though Ray wont have Rondo to pass to him...

LeBron is certainly good enough to feed Ray shots.

Im just thankful the Cavs years ago signed Larry Hughes instead of Ray Allen. LeBron would have won some rings in Cleveland.....No Ray for us...likely means no KG...

Im glad they're teaming up at the end of Ray's career instead of during his prime.

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2012, 08:19:43 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
With Ray in the fold, no not impossible to guard. With the Refs in the fold, yes

AMEN

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2012, 08:30:04 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
If Ray cant walk like this past season then, no, they wont be impossible to guard.

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2012, 08:35:07 PM »

Offline kp4000

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 13
Depends. Wade and Lebron alone are at times impossible to guard. I don't think Ray will be that much of a difference especially with Battier, Chalmers, Miller and Jones soaking up the minutes. Play zone defense against Miami, could work. I don't think Miami will be that much different than last season, but just more experienced.

I think the media makes too much of the Heat.

« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2012, 08:50:11 PM »

Offline kp4000

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 13
Wade and James didn't beat us the HEAT's best players Bill Kennedy and Joey Crawford did.  Maybe Ray wants to play with greats like them.   

lol

NBA officials say Miami also planned to make a strong (though long-shot) pitch to Kevin Garnett had he not re-signed with Boston (for three years, $34 million) and to Lamar Odom had the Clippers not traded for him June 30. But Allen was always Miami's first choice, and the Heat's thrilled to get him.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/2012/07/nuggets-on-the-dolphins-quarterback-battle-behind-the-scenes-on-heat-free-agency-marlins.html#storylink=cpy

The Heat are starting to remind me of today's Yankees. Buying the title by luring the best possible players.  ;)

« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2012, 08:52:16 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Depends. Wade and Lebron alone are at times impossible to guard. I don't think Ray will be that much of a difference especially with Battier, Chalmers, Miller and Jones soaking up the minutes. Play zone defense against Miami, could work. I don't think Miami will be that much different than last season, but just more experienced.

I think the media makes too much of the Heat.

One thing people forget, if AB is healthy (instead of Ray being in there) we wouldn't have to double Wade... when Ray had his best defensive games, we beat them in the playoffs. When KG had to stick to the paint and RR had to basically keep an eye out for Ray and his own man (which wore RR down), their role players torched us from outside. Not only that, AB is different offensively, while Ray ran around for hours, you could put anyone on him because he could not separate himself much at all anymore... AB is gonna hurt you from everywhere (if his stroke is anything like it was second half of season) on the court and can separate easily from his man. KG can guard Bosh 1on1 just fine, people think he can't because of the playoffs, when Bosh killed us but that was ALL because KG was afraid to leave the paint (tired too) because of Ray forcing people to have to help him so much. LBJ is gonna get his and to some extent Wade, but if we don't have to double as much we will be much better off, even if they have Ray! If we get Lee, well that's even more defense to throw at Wade (and LBJ, I think). I think we will be better against them this season if the key guys are pretty close to 100%.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2012, 08:52:23 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

lol

NBA officials say Miami also planned to make a strong (though long-shot) pitch to Kevin Garnett had he not re-signed with Boston (for three years, $34 million) and to Lamar Odom had the Clippers not traded for him June 30. But Allen was always Miami's first choice, and the Heat's thrilled to get him.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/2012/07/nuggets-on-the-dolphins-quarterback-battle-behind-the-scenes-on-heat-free-agency-marlins.html#storylink=cpy

The Heat are starting to remind me of today's Yankees. Buying the title by luring the best possible players.  ;)

I hope it works out for them in the same way, as the Yanks have one only 1 title in the past decade.

« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2012, 08:59:31 PM »

Offline Carhole

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 63
Sam Amico ‏@SamAmicoFSO
Latest Ray Allen buzz: Ex-Celtics teammates ticked. Already talk they plan to stick Rondo on him full court, keep him from getting ball.

This is the value of a Ray Allen; stick one guy on him like glue and it just creates more space for LBJ, Wade, Bosh.  I think this is a big aspect of Ray that people tend to overlook.  It's more of a by product of his skill, but whatever you want to call it, it is effective.  The question becomes how are you going to pick your poison if you're defending the Heat?

This is the biggest falsehood that is consistently stated, that does not happen! For 5 years, not one team has stuck a man on ray and had him not help off from the weak side. Why every game some dumb commentator would say, "how do you leave the all time leader in 3 point shots wide open!" after he made a 3.

Teams have defense schemes, almost every team in the nba helps off the weak side. Unless Ray has some magical power where he can actually make the court wider it is not going to matter.

Ray's effect on a defense and spacing was almost completely attached to his ability playing off screens and forcing the other teams scheme to adjust. If Miami wants to wait for 37 year old Ray to fight open (especially where he is almost no threat to go to the rim off the catch anymore) and just let lebron pound the ball out top more power to them. I would much prefer that then James putting his head down and scoring in the paint.