Author Topic: Should Dallas move Dirk  (Read 9031 times)

Should Dallas move Dirk
« on: July 05, 2012, 05:16:28 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
With the failed attempts at Deron and Dwight, and with the steady stream of quality players leaving over the last two off seasons, is it time for Dallas to move on from Dirk and if so, what sort of offer could they realistically get.

(disclaimer no draft picks mentioned believe many of these trades would obviously contain draft picks)  I mean would they want Lopez and Humphries?  What about something centered around Josh Smith?  What about something involving some of Minnesota's young assets (williams, pekovic, webster, and miller)?  How about Granger and West for Dirk and Marion?  What about Deng and Noah for Dirk? Would something centered around Turner (and Brand for dollars) be enticing for Dirk (and Marion?)?

Would Dirk even go to any of those teams (he has a no trade clause)?

With Dirk, I just don't think Dallas is going to be bad enough to really tank and get a real high pick, but they also have no shot at realistically contending.  I think they pretty much have to move Dirk at this point and I don't see why Dirk would really want to stay with that team given its current state of affairs.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Should Dallas move Dirk
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 05:18:54 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
If I'm Dallas, I offer some big, short term contracts at some veterans to keep Dirk happy enough for a season, and then try it again next year.

Brandon Roy and Ray Allen stick out.

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 05:25:13 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
If I'm Dallas, I offer some big, short term contracts at some veterans to keep Dirk happy enough for a season, and then try it again next year.

I could see that, but Dirk is 34, I don't see the benefit in just prolonging him and the draw of playing with him gets less and less each year.  His contract is also massive.  I mean if they could get some solid young players and some expiring contracts to go along with them, they would still have a ton of cap space next summer, some solid young guys, and a much better draft pick (and possibly multiple draft picks).  That just seems like a better option to me given Dirk's age (if he was even like 30, I think your option would be the best one, but I think Dirk is just too old at this point to think he can be a main component of a title team).

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 05:29:45 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

I could see that, but Dirk is 34, I don't see the benefit in just prolonging him and the draw of playing with him gets less and less each year.  His contract is also massive.  I mean if they could get some solid young players and some expiring contracts to go along with them, they would still have a ton of cap space next summer, some solid young guys, and a much better draft pick (and possibly multiple draft picks).  That just seems like a better option to me given Dirk's age (if he was even like 30, I think your option would be the best one, but I think Dirk is just too old at this point to think he can be a main component of a title team).

But I think at the end of the day the argument to trade Dirk is a lot like the argument to 'blow up' the Celtics:

Yes, it'd great to be able to trade Dirk for assets but you don't do it just to do it. And I don't see a team that's going to give you anything near enough where you'd consider moving him. He's 34, any team that's going to want to acquire has to  think they can legitimately compete within the next 2 years.

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 05:32:25 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Mavs still have Marion, Haywood, and Carter as veteran starters. Find a decent PG on a short-term contract (Devin Harris? Jose Calderon?), and let Dirk play out the rest of his contract this year and next. Give him the option to retire as a Mavs, or write his own ticket out of town.

Concentrate on rebuilding by developing young players like Cunningham, Crowder, Wright, Jones, and Beaubois, and rent out cap space to acquire more assets.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 05:36:55 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80

I could see that, but Dirk is 34, I don't see the benefit in just prolonging him and the draw of playing with him gets less and less each year.  His contract is also massive.  I mean if they could get some solid young players and some expiring contracts to go along with them, they would still have a ton of cap space next summer, some solid young guys, and a much better draft pick (and possibly multiple draft picks).  That just seems like a better option to me given Dirk's age (if he was even like 30, I think your option would be the best one, but I think Dirk is just too old at this point to think he can be a main component of a title team).

But I think at the end of the day the argument to trade Dirk is a lot like the argument to 'blow up' the Celtics:

Yes, it'd great to be able to trade Dirk for assets but you don't do it just to do it. And I don't see a team that's going to give you anything near enough where you'd consider moving him. He's 34, any team that's going to want to acquire has to  think they can legitimately compete within the next 2 years.

I think there should probably be a loyalty thing here too.  Many on this board felt that we should let Pierce retire as a Celtic merely because it is the right thing to do instead of trading him.  I kind of disagreed at the time, and never really think much of that emotional stuff, but the importance is even higher in Dallas.

Dallas doesn't have a Bill Russell or Larry Bird in its past. Or 17 titles.  They only have 1.  And it was Dirk that took them there.

I'd just ride it out with Dirk.  Try again next year.  Their rosrer is a bit depleted but isn't awful.  Most left them for dead years ago.  Then they acquired Chandler, Dirk had his best postseason ever, and they won the title.  I could see them back near the top in a season or two.  Dirk's two biggest assets (size and shooting range) tend to age well.  Defense and athleticism were never his calling cards.

I think he stays, almost regardless of offer.

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 05:40:15 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
Only thing I could think of would be Morey going all in on Howard and acquiring Dirk for some of their assets. They have enough in return for Dallas to have to seriously consider it. Dirk and Dwight are a pretty perfect combo, but good luck convincing Howard.

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 06:23:55 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Looks like Kidd is gone:

In an unforeseen reversal, Jason Kidd has decided to leave the Dallas Mavericks to join the New York Knicks, according to sources familiar with the decision.

With the Mavericks confident that they were closing in Thursday on a verbal agreement on a three-year deal with Kidd worth $9 million, sources told ESPN.com that Kidd -- after all-day deliberations with both teams -- has decided instead to leave Dallas to join the Knicks for a similar deal.

The contract can't actually be signed until July 11, which is the first day new NBA contracts can be signed. It's also possible, one source said, that Kidd could ultimately move to the Knicks in a sign-and-trade deal.

Sources briefed on the matter told ESPN.com that Kidd was ultimately swayed to take the Knicks' offer to come to New York and take on the challenge of trying to help the Knicks move into the Eastern Conference elite and also mentor fans' darling Jeremy Lin.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/8133070/source-jason-kidd-agrees-deal-new-york-knicks

Article by Marc Stein, ESPN.com.

Wow.

I know that Kidd is a bit long in the tooth, but he is still an above average defender and still (IMO) an elite distributor. In limited minutes he is still one of the best PGs out there. And he can still nail the occasional three.

I'm really starting to feel bad for Dirk right now. To answer the thread I'm guessing that they could be considering it.

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 06:25:14 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
I think so, he doesn't deserve to be on a rebuilding project in this point of his career

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 06:39:07 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
No -- Dirk should finish his career in Dallas.

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 06:40:28 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Would Dirk even go to any of those teams (he has a no trade clause)?
I think Dirk would consent to a trade to any title-contender so long as Mark Cuban made it clear that it was in the team's best interests that Dirk moved on.

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 06:43:49 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
With all that cash they've got there not quite in trouble yet.

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 06:49:08 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Well, for what it's worth I'd LOVE DIRK in BOS....I know it's highly unlikely, but a man can dream, right?

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 06:53:40 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Yes, it'd great to be able to trade Dirk for assets but you don't do it just to do it. And I don't see a team that's going to give you anything near enough where you'd consider moving him. He's 34, any team that's going to want to acquire has to  think they can legitimately compete within the next 2 years.
It is a similar argument, but Dallas doesn't have a Rondo and there is just one Dirk vs. two+ "Dirks" in Boston (KG, Pierce, and Allen to a lesser extent).

Dallas was the 7th seed and just lost its starting PG and super sub.  There is no one they can add this year that will even make up for Kidd and Terry, so I think there is a very real possibility they don't even make the playoffs in the very deep western conference.  

Dirk has a no trade clause, so he isn't going anywhere he doesn't want to go, it just seems like to me they should explore trades.

I think these trades are very reasonable deals for the Mavs and the acquiring team would be a pretty solid contender (so Dirk might actually go there).

Minnesota - Pekovic, Williams, Webster, Miller, 2013 1st (top 3 protected)

Chicago - Noah, Deng, 2013 1st

Philadelphia - Turner, Harkless, Brand, 2013 1st (top ten protected)

Indiana - Granger, West, Hansborough (Dallas also trades Marion)

There are a few other trade packages that might be worth exploring involving Atlanta (josh smith), Denver (gallinari among others), Golden State (curry and lee), etc.

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 06:55:10 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
stupid thread....dirk is one of 2 players in the NBA with a no-trade clause in his contract. the other is kobe.