Author Topic: Celtics considering Nick Young  (Read 23021 times)

Re: Celtics considering Nick Young
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2012, 12:17:00 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
just another sign Ray is gone I can't even warm up to this right now man....

"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2012, 12:19:08 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Gotta believe that the only reason Young's name has come up is because the Clips are showing interest in Allen.

Ainge will try to figure out a way to get something back for any of the Celtics' free agents if other teams make them offers he won't want to match.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2012, 12:19:40 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I'd be for it - he played pretty well in the playoffs for the Clips last season.

Can he be signed & traded though? I'm pretty sure he forfeited his birdrights in the WSH/LAC trade.
My issue is that he was pretty awful during the regular season.

Sub par regular season, "flipped the switch" for the postseason - he should fit right in, no?

27 years old, 6'7" - not afraid to take big shots. Whats the issue bringing him in to play behind Rondo/Bradley/JET?

A talent and skillset like Young needs to start next to Rondo
Despite Bradley's resurgence last season, I still don't see him as a starting 2 next to Rondo that will ever avg 20+ppg.
Nick Young could. Pierce needs to step down as the go-to-guy on offense. And Rondo hates it. He seems to prefer to draw the defense to Harlem Globetrotter pass it to the corner for a spectacular 3.

Bradley could excel next to Jet as a lead defender and spot starter in certain situations.

Plus I'd rather us get something in return for Ray other than a roster spot for another post-prime undersized guard.
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2012, 12:20:08 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I'd be for it - he played pretty well in the playoffs for the Clips last season.

Can he be signed & traded though? I'm pretty sure he forfeited his birdrights in the WSH/LAC trade.

Sub par regular season, "flipped the switch" for the postseason - he should fit right in, no?

27 years old, 6'7" - not afraid to take big shots. Whats the issue bringing him in to play behind Rondo/Bradley/JET?
Money mostly.

How much money will he cost and for how many years.

My guess is 2-3 years, $2-4m annually. Considering we're handing out 3 year, 8 figure contracts to guys who are 34+, any contract Nick gets would be peanuts compared to that, and for the role he would take on I wouldn't have an issue with it.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2012, 12:22:08 PM »

Offline Celtics Fan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
No thanks.

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2012, 12:23:29 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Money mostly.

My guess is 2-3 years, $2-4m annually. Considering we're handing out 3 year, 8 figure contracts to guys who are 34+, any contract Nick gets would be peanuts compared to that, and for the role he would take on I wouldn't have an issue with it.
The guys we're signing to big money are very good players, Nick Young on the other hand....he's a young player.

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2012, 12:24:18 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Money mostly.

The guys we're signing to big money are very good players, Nick Young on the other hand....he's a young player.

Mentally.

He is in his prime. 

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2012, 12:24:20 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

I'm not a big Nick Young fan, but he can be useful as a scorer. His utility as a scoring weapon is a little understated looking just at his true shooting %: his very low turnover rate (helps that he never passes!) bumps up his points-per-play efficiency.  Puts him in the Jamal Crawford, J.R. Smith, Lou Williams range.

Of course he does almost nothing but score, but he's a decent scoring weapon.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2012, 12:25:25 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

I'm not a big Nick Young fan, but he can be useful as a scorer. His utility as a scoring weapon is a little understated looking just at his true shooting %: his very low turnover rate (helps that he never passes!) bumps up his points-per-play efficiency.  Puts him in the Jamal Crawford, J.R. Smith, Lou Williams range.

Of course he does almost nothing but score, but he's a decent scoring weapon.
Yeah he'd be a useful bench piece, but I'd rather have Ray back.

*sigh*

« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2012, 12:25:57 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 654
  • MASTER OF PANIC
really..who else is out there after ray? not a whole lot left

« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2012, 12:26:25 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

I rather Pietrus. 

« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2012, 12:26:59 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
he's 27.  Flip saunders coached him.  He could be serviceable.

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2012, 12:27:58 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

I rather Pietrus. 
No resaon not to get both if we can manage it.

If Ray is leaving us, a sign and trade would at least give us something for his bird rights.

« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2012, 12:28:21 PM »

LEHGOCELTICS

I actually think it's a pretty decent move, given that he'll sign for 4-5 million per year. He was excelling in Washington before the inept and incapable VDN took over and relegated him to the bench behind Foye. With Doc managing minutes and rotations properly and playing for a real coach, it's highly possible that he cleans up his shot selection and adds yet another offensive weapon for the Celtics.

« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2012, 12:28:49 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587

I rather Pietrus. 

I think both would be signed tbh (goes for having ray as well). Cant you offer Pietrus the vet min or the BLE (I think thats what it is?) or something like that. I want peaches back for depth, defense and locker room presence. And with a better knee I know hes capable of more than he showed us on the offensive end last season