Author Topic: Bass S&T to Atlanta (idea)  (Read 2750 times)

Bass S&T to Atlanta (idea)
« on: July 05, 2012, 09:59:51 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
According to the CB front-page story today, Atlanta is interested in Bass.  They only have the Mid-level to offer, and if Bass is only getting mid-levels from other teams, Danny would have this deal done already.

Danny Ferry has been aggressive about getting rid of the large, long-term deals from the previous administration.  The last one he has is Al Horford's.  Atlanta already has Smith at the 4 and Horford at the 5, so they don't make sense as a likely destination unless Horford or Smith leave.  Smith is an expiring, and thus not necessary to trade, but Horford is signed for $12 mil/year for the next four years.

Ergo:

Hawks receive:
Brandon Bass (2012-13 salary at $7.5 mil, probably signed for three years)
Jajuan Johnson
Sean Williams (partially guanteed)

Celtics receive:
Al Horford

The salaries work (I think -- my understand is that the Celtics could acquire 125% + $100,000 of the salaries they trade.)  Perhaps the Celtics throw in a draft pick, but I'd don't think they'd need to if Ferry is serious about getting rid of Horford's contract.  This deal would save them about $24 million over the next four years, and would give them $4 mil more cap room for next season if they don't keep JJJ.

What do you think?  Steal for the Celtics, or don't want Horford's contract coming over?  I'm obviously in favor of it, hence my posting of it.  Horford's contract is a lot to take on, but he's about as much of a center as is available these days, and he's quite athletic.

Re: Bass S&T to Atlanta (idea)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 10:00:53 AM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
According to the CB front-page story today, Atlanta is interested in Bass.  They only have the Mid-level to offer, and if Bass is only getting mid-levels from other teams, Danny would have this deal done already.

Danny Ferry has been aggressive about getting rid of the large, long-term deals from the previous administration.  The last one he has is Al Horford's.  Atlanta already has Smith at the 4 and Horford at the 5, so they don't make sense as a likely destination unless Horford or Smith leave.  Smith is an expiring, and thus not necessary to trade, but Horford is signed for $12 mil/year for the next four years.

Ergo:

Hawks receive:
Jajuan Johnson

Celtics receive:
Al Horford

The salaries work (I think -- my understand is that the Celtics could acquire 125% + $100,000 of the salaries they trade.)  Perhaps the Celtics throw in a draft pick, but I'd don't think they'd need to if Ferry is serious about getting rid of Horford's contract.  This deal would save them about $24 million over the next four years, and would give them $4 mil more cap room for next season if they don't keep JJJ.

What do you think?  Steal for the Celtics, or don't want Horford's contract coming over?  I'm obviously in favor of it, hence my posting of it.  Horford's contract is a lot to take on, but he's about as much of a center as is available these days, and he's quite athletic.

The Hawks are much less likely to give up Horford than Smith. I think they're keeping both, though.

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 10:01:02 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
There is not a GM in the NBA that trades away Hortford for such a low offer.  

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 10:03:50 AM »

Offline Rondooooooooo

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
  • Truth Hurts
yeah im sorry I'm all for it as is everyone else on this side of the deal but the hawks don't make that trade. i have a feeling if we do ever get smith its next year when he's a free agent. but i do have a feeling he'll be coming here
"My name is Shaquille O'Neal, and Paul Pierce is the [expletive] truth. Quote me on that, and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 10:12:58 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

Ergo:

Hawks receive:
Jajuan Johnson

Celtics receive:
Al Horford

Come on now.  That package wouldn't get you Al Horford...  Not even close....

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 10:15:57 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Fair enough.  I'd rather have Hibbert than Horford, and with all the talk on this board decrying Hibbert's max deal, it seemed to me that Horford must also be overpaid.

Regardless, if the Hawks are serious suitors for Bass, they'd have to be involved in a S&T for either Horford or Smith.  Otherwise they can only offer the MLE and a bench role, which means they aren't serious pursuers.  (And that may be the case -- just going off the front page story where they're listed.)  I'd expect Smith commands more than Horford (although maybe I'm wrong) and he costs more next year, so the salary is tougher to match.  So what more do you add?  We can't trade our recent picks, because we just signed them.  Bash the idea all you like, but at least try to explain how Atlanta is interested in obtaining Bass if they don't trade Horford.

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 10:18:02 AM »

Online snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Horford's an all-star big man at $12 mil per - he's more bargain than albatross.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 10:21:34 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Fair enough.  I'd rather have Hibbert than Horford, and with all the talk on this board decrying Hibbert's max deal, it seemed to me that Horford must also be overpaid.

Regardless, if the Hawks are serious suitors for Bass, they'd have to be involved in a S&T for either Horford or Smith.  Otherwise they can only offer the MLE and a bench role, which means they aren't serious pursuers.  (And that may be the case -- just going off the front page story where they're listed.)  I'd expect Smith commands more than Horford (although maybe I'm wrong) and he costs more next year, so the salary is tougher to match.  So what more do you add?  We can't trade our recent picks, because we just signed them.  Bash the idea all you like, but at least try to explain how Atlanta is interested in obtaining Bass if they don't trade Horford.

Horford is the better player. 

Did we see the difference he made when he played in the playoff against the Celtics?  What we saw was not the best Horford. 

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 10:53:19 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
Hortford >>> Smith - if they really like Bass AND Smith is really leaving, and he says I'm not signing an extension unless its with Boston, then MAYBE ATL considers a S&T with Bass for Smith, maybe. But the C's would have to throw in something else of value IMO.

AB + Bass for Smith - might be enough talent, might, in the above situation. (And a deal I'd do with Terry on board BTW. AB's injury is serious that he might not help first half next year, he's never getting taller, and he very well could regress next year.)

But Hortford is a really talented and important player. Hortford could be a key piece in getting Howard (not saying Howard would agree to re-sign with ATL, just ORL would view him as good enough corner stone in a DH trade.)

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 11:09:47 AM »

Offline minijericho29

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 24

Ergo:

Hawks receive:
Jajuan Johnson

Celtics receive:
Al Horford

I'm sure Danny Ferry is just dieing to trade away his all-star center for this big pile of muck you are suggesting.

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 12:14:15 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Hortford >>> Smith - if they really like Bass AND Smith is really leaving, and he says I'm not signing an extension unless its with Boston, then MAYBE ATL considers a S&T with Bass for Smith, maybe. But the C's would have to throw in something else of value IMO.

AB + Bass for Smith - might be enough talent, might, in the above situation. (And a deal I'd do with Terry on board BTW. AB's injury is serious that he might not help first half next year, he's never getting taller, and he very well could regress next year.)

But Hortford is a really talented and important player. Hortford could be a key piece in getting Howard (not saying Howard would agree to re-sign with ATL, just ORL would view him as good enough corner stone in a DH trade.)

TP for AB/injury realist

I agree a Bass,Bradley and JJJ would be fair for JSmith

In hopes that we could land a starting SG(Ray to Clips for Nick Young)
then you have Terry and Pietrus as you backup Guards.

Doc constructs 2 starting lineups(depending on the opponent)
Rondo,Young,Pierce,KG,Melo vs Big man teams(LA,OKC,ORL,ATL,IND)
Rondo,Young,Green,Smith,KG vs Running Small teams(MIA,DAL,NY)
Can't stop, Rondo!