Author Topic: Sullinger analysis: Kansas vs Ohio State 2012 tourney  (Read 12430 times)

Re: Sullinger analysis: Kansas vs Ohio State 2012 tourney
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 08:30:57 AM »

Offline myteamisbetterthanyours

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 31
I was at the Final 4 in 1993 when Eric Montross outplayed Chris Webber in the finals....how did that turn out in the NBA?

Solid point. Sullinger needs to work on his flaws though.  He needs to establish a mid range game (ala Bass and Baby) and he really needs to work on his conditioning, especially since he has back problems.  Definitely work to be done, but no doubt in my mind that this kid does it and becomes the biggest steal in the draft.

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 08:36:10 AM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
He had a bad offensive night.  He out rebounded the seven footer,and the 6'10 number 5 pick Robinson in the same game.  T. Rob shot 8 for 18 and 3 of 6 from the line.  Is he a bust too?
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 09:17:17 AM »

Offline KJ33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 78
You neglect to mention Withey blocking him three times in a row.  This might indicate that he might struggle getting his shot off in the pros.

Sullinger struggled against long shot-blockers, which scares teams. If he can't get his shot off against Kansas's Jeff Withey or Michigan State's Adreian Payne, what will he do against Dwight Howard and Serge Ibaka?

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/michael_rosenberg/06/27/nba-draft-questions/index.html#ixzz1zSm8WzSY

NEW ORLEANS -- Jeff Withey destroyed Jared Sullinger on Saturday night, destroyed him in every way one player can destroy another. On the other hand, Jeff Withey probably did Sullinger a favor. Because if Withey can reduce Sullinger to a puddle of pouting goo, imagine what Kentucky's Anthony Davis would have done to Sullinger on Monday night.

Ah well, we don't have to worry about that. Withey took care of Sullinger, and because he took care of Sullinger in such destructive fashion, Kansas took care of Ohio State, winning their national semifinal 64-62 to set up a date with Kentucky for the title.

Withey scored only four points and had four turnovers, but his fingerprints were all over this victory for Kansas. Kind of like his fingerprints were all over Sullinger's shots, not to mention shots by a few other Buckeyes. When all was said and done, Withey had set a national semifinal record with seven blocked shots -- bettering the record of another Jayhawk, Danny Manning, who had six in 1988 against Duke -- and had affected a good many more.

"I was just in the right place at the right time," Withey said, fooling himself maybe but nobody else. Because when all was said and done, Jeff Withey had been the single biggest factor in the Jayhawks' victory.

The box score might not say as much. The box score will say, in fact, that Sullinger outscored Withey 13 to four, and that Sullinger outrebounded Withey 11 to eight.

But the box score isn't fooling anybody, either, because Withey destroyed him. Sullinger took 19 shots and made only five.

"Big fella here played as good of low-post defense on a great player as he could," Kansas coach Bill Self said of Withey's defense on Sullinger. "Not only got seven blocks, but altered four or five at least."

Withey had help from Robinson and reserve Kevin Young, the three of them ganging up to hold Sullinger and Deshaun Thomas to 22 points on 33 shots in 62 minutes.

"I could barely see," Sullinger said. "I couldn't see over a 7-footer, and a 6-10 guy [Robinson]."

For Withey, it was a repeat of his mastery in the Midwest Regional title game against North Carolina, which he took over in the final two minutes by blocking a shot by John Henson and then another by Stilman White. When that run began, Kansas clung to a 71-67 lead. The final score was 80-67. North Carolina didn't score again, and while Withey didn't do all of that, he led it.

Same as Saturday, when he immediately inserted himself into Sullinger's cranium by blocking Sullinger's first shot, which was also Ohio State's first shot. Early in the second half Withey forcibly removed Sullinger from the game by blocking his shot three times in 40 seconds. Don't get me wrong, Sullinger didn't leave the game. He kept playing.

He just wasn't any good.

In the second half, Sullinger was 2 of 11 from the floor. He was so out of sorts, he was jacking 3-pointers and 20-footers and flopping like a fish for phantom fouls and gesturing to referees and whining to his coach -- and to Thad Matta's credit, he was having none of it.

After one particularly ridiculous stretch for Sullinger, when Withey blocked him and blocked him again and again and was so far into Sullinger's head that his next touch started 20 feet from the basket and ended in the same spot, with a 20-foot brick, Sullinger saw his shot floating errantly toward the rim and dove like a Spanish soccer player, punctuating the flop by slamming his arm on the floor. The sound effect didn't work, and neither did Sullinger's whining and gesticulating to the refs, and when a timeout was called shortly thereafter and Sullinger whined his way to the bench, he found no comfort there. Matta was red-faced and yelling at him, looking stunned that his All-American, his future NBA power forward was reduced to such shenanigans by a rail-thin red-shirt junior like Jeff Withey.

About that NBA stuff ...

No chance. Sullinger has no chance in that league. I mean, he'll get drafted by someone and he'll stick on a roster, but he won't be a great pro, or even a very good one. Not as his game and body are currently configured, with low-post offense as close to the rim -- and below it, usually -- as he can get. That stuff works in college, or at least it works against some post players, but it didn't work against Jeff Withey and it won't work in the NBA. The NBA general manager that spends a high lottery pick on Sullinger is a GM who must have been sleeping Saturday night and then failed to get his hands on the tape.

Because the tape don't lie.

Jeff Withey destroyed Sullinger, got so far into his head that Sullinger was useless -- and pointless -- in the final 5½ minutes when Kansas was rallying from a six-point deficit to win. In that span, Sullinger missed a layup with 4:39 left and he missed a jumper with 3:19 left and then he just didn't shoot again. Ohio State was trying to hold off Kansas, and it chose to do that by giving shots to anyone but All-American Jared Sullinger.

Jeff Withey did that.

But he did more than that. With 1:42 left and Ohio State leading 59-58, Buckeyes guard Aaron Craft blew past Kansas' Tyshawn Taylor and honed in on the rim, where his layup found no iron, only the hand of Withey.

Less than 30 seconds later, with Kansas now leading 60-59, Withey was 20 feet from the basket, defending Sullinger -- who wanted no part of the lane anymore -- when the ball went to OSU guard William Buford. With an unabated path to the rim, Buford went up for a layup and watched helplessly as Withey swooped in from behind, swatting the shot off the rim and over the hoop. That led to a fast break the other way, one Elijah Johnson consummated with a driving bucket for a 62-59 lead with 1:10 left.

"The block on Buford was unbelievable," Self said. "They had us. He turns two points for Ohio State into two points for us."

That's a four-point swing right there.

Kansas won by two.

See my point here? Kansas won Saturday to reach the national championship game -- and Jeff Withey did that.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/18207375

Again too rosy of analysis.  I hope your right though of course.

As a previous poster pointed out however, rarely if ever will Sullinger be going up against 7 footers in the NBA, so the fact that he struggled to get his shot off is irrelevant.  If KG and Sully are on the court together, do you think another team is going to put their 7 footer, if they even have one, against Sully and not KG?  College is so much different than the NBA in that aspect, Sully was a beast in the paint, so any team would put their longest, tallest player against him to try and neutralize him as he was not playing alongside a legit threat at C.  In the NBA, and specifically on the Celtics, this will not be the case so the fact that a 7 foot guy made life difficult for him down low in a college game, is of no concern to me whatsoever.

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 09:28:16 AM »

Offline Mr Green

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
Sullinger may have shot poorly (5 for 19 shooting) but Kansas only won by two points, so in the big picture the game wasn't exactly the one-sided bloodbath that the CBS article makes it out to be. He also managed to score 13 points and grab 11 rebounds plus blocked 3 shots, which is a notable effort considering it was the final four. I think it's best to hold judgment until he has actually played a few games in the NBA first or at least undergone pre-season training with the other Celtics, poor guy probably hasn't even signed his contract yet.

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2012, 11:16:41 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Sullinger may have shot poorly (5 for 19 shooting) but Kansas only won by two points, so in the big picture the game wasn't exactly the one-sided bloodbath that the CBS article makes it out to be. He also managed to score 13 points and grab 11 rebounds plus blocked 3 shots, which is a notable effort considering it was the final four. I think it's best to hold judgment until he has actually played a few games in the NBA first or at least undergone pre-season training with the other Celtics, poor guy probably hasn't even signed his contract yet.
Yep and Craft was 4 of 11 and Thomas was 3 of 14.  Hard to win games when your three best players have sub-par outings.  The fact that they were even within 2, is a large part because of Sullinger's first half.  He was just worn out down the stretch and no one else helped him.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I hope he succeeds.   I think he will have issues with bigs like Big Baby did at times and get blocked here and there.   I want him to be successful  though.   I hated the pick but now he is a Celtic I am rooting for him all the way.

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2012, 02:46:36 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
"NEW ORLEANS -- Jeff Withey destroyed Jared Sullinger on Saturday night, destroyed him in every way one player can destroy another. On the other hand, Jeff Withey probably did Sullinger a favor. Because if Withey can reduce Sullinger to a puddle of pouting goo, imagine what Kentucky's Anthony Davis would have done to Sullinger on Monday night."

This quote is overblown.

Nobody knows how he would of done vs Kentucky and davis. Withey did get the best of Sullinger, but i wonder if this was a best of 3 or 4 series, how Sullinger would of adjusted. Every great player can have one bad game. But usually bounce back. This was honestly Sullingers 2nd or 3rd mediocre game all year long.

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2012, 06:04:54 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dKTRgDMBDg

"sully just knows how to play basketball"

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2012, 07:00:31 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
Really , if he can rebound well any points he gives us are gravy.

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2012, 09:29:36 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Saw Gonzaga vs OS 2012. Sullinger had a pretty bad game again. Robert Sacre, a 7'1 guy really caused Sullinger problems. He got blocked a quite a bit of times and missed a few bad looking shots. Also he was running pretty bad.

One thing you can't deny with sullinger is that he is fearless. But sometimes its not always smart to try to bulldoze your shot in vs a 7'1 guy who is just as strong.

He knocked down three jumpers early in the game. Not sure why for the rest of the game he stopped taking jump shots.

Def one of his worse games of the year. From that game alone, he didn't even look like a 1st round pick.

His conditioning is the #1 priority for him to be a good nba player. Good news is that at the combine he def looked slimmer vs his last game against Kansas.

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2012, 09:15:52 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Has anyone compared him to Z-Bo, aka Zach Randolph?

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2012, 11:54:27 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
I've been seeing Sullinger's games on ESPN3 and he reminds me of David West.  He's not as tall or long which is going to have an impact but at the college level anyway, he displayed a similar all-around offensive skillset without hardly getting a few inches off the ground on most of his shots.  He showed some pick and pop ability like West as well as the ability to use his handle and footwork to get to within 7 feet feet or closer to the basket and get off shots with only an inch of margin to work with.

I like what Sullinger may bring as a role player.  He's got a lot of talent for the sixth or seventh guy on a team and his rebounding matches up perfectly with a huge team weakness but I worry about him shooting over size in the NBA as a top 3 core player.

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2012, 12:04:19 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Has anyone compared him to Z-Bo, aka Zach Randolph?

yup. But Z-Bo has long arse arms...like a sloth.

I like that Sully muscles his way down there though. I'm not sure if anyone he's been compared to muscles others like he's a 7 footer. I love that about him.

Hope he succeeds.

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2013, 09:42:26 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
Holy Spamola!