Poll

is KG worth $34 million over 3 years at his age?

Perfect amount. Absolutely worth it.
62 (74.7%)
A little too expensive.
16 (19.3%)
No way. He's robbing us.
5 (6%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Voting closed: July 03, 2012, 08:49:34 PM

Author Topic: is KG worth $34 million over 3 years at his age?  (Read 11044 times)

Re: is KG worth $34 million over 3 years at his age?
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2012, 10:54:00 PM »

Offline AshyLarry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
  • Ashy To Classy, baby.
1. You don't pay him for what he's done, you pay him for what he's going to do. I understand where some of you are coming from when you say that he is worth $20 million per based on what he did last season. He WAS paid 20 million, so I'm thrilled for both sides.

2. 36-year-olds don't get max contracts because they have no upside and huge downside. KG is not an exception. Next year he has (very optimistically) max upside. Over three years, he does not.

3. At the same age, David Robinson got 2 years, $20 million from the Spurs and Dikembe Mutombo got 1 yr $15m. That's the best an elderly big man has ever done. Hakeem signed at 38 for $5m.

Inflation, ok... but based on those comps Garnett got pretty much exactly what was coming to him. Not a bargain, exactly, really. Just a nice, fair deal.

I think Kareem, near the end of his career, was making around what the top stars were making.

And Kareem was still producing at a high level, hopefully similar to KG.
My pic is now, and will be Fab Melo until he posts his first official NBA dbl-dbl. This may be permanent.

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2012, 11:03:53 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Without question... Who else would you rather have, at his production and position, for that money?

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2012, 11:07:32 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Yes -- worth $16-18 million based on last year's play.

May be a bit rich in that final third season but there will be some savings initially. On balance, it's a really good deal for Boston.

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2012, 11:10:05 PM »

Offline Frontierboy

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
The fact that he'll be mentoring our young guys makes this a bargain for the Celtics

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2012, 11:12:05 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Yeah.  We got a bargain.  In the playoffs he was easily the MVP of this team on both ends.  He carried us a number of games.  Proved he is still a defensive force.  Proved he could still put up 20 and 10 consistently.  Proved he was still a leader of men.  You need an elite big man to be a contender and Kevin Garnett played like one of the best bigs in the entire league.  From mid Feb when he took his leave for "personal reasons" up until game 7 of the Miami series, he was a beast... he almost singlehandedly took us from a sub .500 team to a contender as soon as he moved to center.  Without him we probably get owned in the first round or miss the playoffs entirely.  That makes him as valuable as he wants to be.  Thank your lucky stars the MVP and savior of this organization is continuing to wear the Celtic green with pride... he's priceless.  Not only for what he does on the court but how he impacts every player (young and old) in this organization.  He took a 50% paycut.  Kiss his feet.

Honestly if he had asked for 20 million I would have given him 20 million.  KG has too much pride to rob the Celtics.  If he felt like he wasn't earning his money, he'd retire.  He'll be worth every single penny we are paying him.

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2012, 11:18:38 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Yeah.  We got a bargain.  In the playoffs he was easily the MVP of this team on both ends.  He carried us a number of games.  Proved he is still a defensive force.  Proved he could still put up 20 and 10 consistently.  Proved he was still a leader of men.  You need an elite big man to be a contender and Kevin Garnett played like one of the best bigs in the entire league.  From mid Feb when he took his leave for "personal reasons" up until game 7 of the Miami series, he was a beast... he almost singlehandedly took us from a sub .500 team to a contender as soon as he moved to center.  Without him we probably get owned in the first round or miss the playoffs entirely.  That makes him as valuable as he wants to be.  Thank your lucky stars the MVP and savior of this organization is continuing to wear the Celtic green with pride... he's priceless.

KG played well, but let's not go overboard. The year before we were almost unbeatable when Rondo was healthy and a .500 team when he was fighting through injuries. That doesn't make him the savior of the franchise or single handedly responsible for us being contenders. The team needs the top players to play at a certain level to contend.

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2012, 11:27:59 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
KG is easily worth the money. If it was a bidding war and he talked to other teams, he gets a bigger deal IMO. Probably 15 or more million per for 2 years. This based on his intangibles as well as production.

I have to wonder now, what will PP do? Will he be as generous and agreeable as KG? Why not extend him as well? I know it is early, but it could help influence Veteran FA's that the two would be here for a couple years.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2012, 11:33:17 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
KG is easily worth the money. If it was a bidding war and he talked to other teams, he gets a bigger deal IMO. Probably 15 or more million per for 2 years. This based on his intangibles as well as production.

I have to wonder now, what will PP do? Will he be as generous and agreeable as KG? Why not extend him as well? I know it is early, but it could help influence Veteran FA's that the two would be here for a couple years.

The Captain is already signed through the 2013-2014 season.  No need to go overboard. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2012, 11:37:34 PM »

Offline GranTur

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 68
  • Anti-NBA Hipster
How can people knock this?

He's a center now, like Tim Duncan. TD and KG are too old to play PF consistently. They are perfect as centers.
Tim Duncan deserves and will get a similar contract. $9-12 million a year for 2-3 years.

Centers in this league are ridiculously expensive. Especially centers that create the culture of your team and produce 20/10 in the playoffs and play with 110% energy every minute they are on the floor.

He has made excellent players out of people like Perkins, Big Baby, Stiemsma...I mean...he made a player out of Semih Erden (60th pick in draft) before Erden got a ruined shoulder. Add the fact that the Celtics have four big-man prospects in Sullinger (6'9") and JuJuan Johnson (6'10"), Greg Stiemsma (6'11"), and Fab Melo (7'). KG is the perfect complement to these players.

KG is a mentor, DPOY runner-up, hits mid-range jumpers in his sleep, rebounds, and brings more energy than anybody in the league. He is a culture changer. He is an icon. He is a legend. Also, he's a freak of nature who works infinitely hard to keep his body in amazing shape.
"It's not how you play the game. It's whether you win or lose--that's my motto." -Larry Bird

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2012, 12:18:04 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
I agree with this 100% based on KG's efforts in the last months of the reg season and the playoffs.  He and Rondo were absolutely the two MVP's.  10mil for KG next year is more than fair.  The only issue with him and PP and RA, is when the big drop off is going to occur.  Hopefully we get our ducks in a row before that happens.

Put ageism aside. 7ft Kevin Garnett production wise is closer $20mil a year player than $11mil player.

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2012, 12:22:07 AM »

Offline AshyLarry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
  • Ashy To Classy, baby.
I agree with this 100% based on KG's efforts in the last months of the reg season and the playoffs.  He and Rondo were absolutely the two MVP's.  10mil for KG next year is more than fair.  The only issue with him and PP and RA, is when the big drop off is going to occur.  Hopefully we get our ducks in a row before that happens.

Put ageism aside. 7ft Kevin Garnett production wise is closer $20mil a year player than $11mil player.

WHen it comes to Garnett, that "big" drop off may not even happen. He will definately drop, skill and athleticism wise, but not much.

I thought it happened after his big knee injury in 09, the way he was playing was good, but not Garnett-esque. It was all confidence. KG is just THAT special of a player.

The same basically goes for Paul, but who knows, injuries can change/end careers.
My pic is now, and will be Fab Melo until he posts his first official NBA dbl-dbl. This may be permanent.

« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2012, 12:23:55 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
My opinion is that KG retires after 2 more years. I can't see him still playing at 39.  I think we have 2 years to enjoy KG, and hopefully the young guys can learn a lot in that time.

Yes -- worth $16-18 million based on last year's play.

May be a bit rich in that final third season but there will be some savings initially. On balance, it's a really good deal for Boston.

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2012, 12:27:44 AM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Pet peeve - KG will only be 39 in year 3 if we're deep in the playoffs.

This is a 36/37/38 deal.

2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2012, 12:37:04 AM »

Offline dysgenic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
I can't believe anyone would knock this deal or vote against it in the poll other than as a troll.  Maybe he tails off in year 3, but right now he is easily worth 15 million even accounting for a drop off in production from last year.
No brainer as far as I'm concerned; great deal for Boston.

« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2012, 02:21:48 AM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2003
I don't mean to be disrespectful, but the 4 people who voted "No way. He's robbing us" do not understand basketball.

KG's defensive presence alone makes him invaluable. Everything else - BB IQ, rebounding, passing, leadership on and off the court, teaching younger players - you name it, and he has it or does it.

I don't think there's ever been a player in the history of the game who is more team-oriented and committed to winning than KG.  This guy is worth every penny he's paid. 

The heart and soul of the Celtics is back baby.