Poll

is KG worth $34 million over 3 years at his age?

Perfect amount. Absolutely worth it.
62 (74.7%)
A little too expensive.
16 (19.3%)
No way. He's robbing us.
5 (6%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Voting closed: July 03, 2012, 08:49:34 PM

Author Topic: is KG worth $34 million over 3 years at his age?  (Read 11046 times)

Re: is KG worth $34 million over 3 years at his age?
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2012, 09:05:48 PM »

Offline AshyLarry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
  • Ashy To Classy, baby.
Maaan. I was the biggest Jared Dudley fan up until he blocked me on twitter. All I did was harass him and repeatedly try to recruit him to the C's!

I'm just a fan, and fans have needs and aspirations!

Anywho, short answer, yes. He is worth much more than what we're about to pay him.
My pic is now, and will be Fab Melo until he posts his first official NBA dbl-dbl. This may be permanent.

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2012, 09:07:35 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
Yeah.  We got a bargain.  In the playoffs he was easily the MVP of this team on both ends.  He carried us a number of games.  Proved he is still a defensive force.  Proved he could still put up 20 and 10 consistently.  Proved he was still a leader of men.  You need an elite big man to be a contender and Kevin Garnett played like one of the best bigs in the entire league.  From mid Feb when he took his leave for "personal reasons" up until game 7 of the Miami series, he was a beast... he almost singlehandedly took us from a sub .500 team to a contender as soon as he moved to center.  Without him we probably get owned in the first round or miss the playoffs entirely.  That makes him as valuable as he wants to be.  Thank your lucky stars the MVP and savior of this organization is continuing to strap on the Celtic green... he's priceless.  Not only for what he does on the court but how he impacts every player (young and old) in this organization.  He took a 50% paycut.  Kiss his feet.
wow lol readin dis ima ask u a question my brother asked me today. 10 years from now who will get more love from da Celtics fans KG or Pierce. I told him Pierce cuz he was here longer but da more i look at dis site idk

At this point, it would be Pierce, because he's been here longer and was drafted by the Cs and has been here through the rebuilding (which was ugly). I look at it this way: KG's now got three more years in which he can win over die hard Pierce fans like me :)

(don't get me wrong, I'm a KG fan, but if I respect the heck out of PP and what he's done here for the Cs).
yea its a shame KG aint come here before his 12th year 04 KG was unstoppable man

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2012, 09:20:36 PM »

Offline jyyzzoel

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
for this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3RIzg2sU8k

$34 million is worth it in my opinion.

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2012, 09:22:54 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I don't know who the 2 ppl are that split their vote on those other options but let me ask them this... could KG have gotten more on the open market, compared to others at his position (what they are paid) does he deserve it, with his play last season is he not worth it, how many other players could we have gotten that deserves it more, for what he does?
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2012, 09:34:44 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Yeah.  We got a bargain.  In the playoffs he was easily the MVP of this team on both ends.  He carried us a number of games.  Proved he is still a defensive force.  Proved he could still put up 20 and 10 consistently.  Proved he was still a leader of men.  You need an elite big man to be a contender and Kevin Garnett played like one of the best bigs in the entire league.  From mid Feb when he took his leave for "personal reasons" up until game 7 of the Miami series, he was a beast... he almost singlehandedly took us from a sub .500 team to a contender as soon as he moved to center.  Without him we probably get owned in the first round or miss the playoffs entirely.  That makes him as valuable as he wants to be.  Thank your lucky stars the MVP and savior of this organization is continuing to wear the Celtic green with pride... he's priceless.  Not only for what he does on the court but how he impacts every player (young and old) in this organization.  He took a 50% paycut.  Kiss his feet.

Honestly if he had asked for 20 million I would have given him 20 million.  KG has too much pride to rob the Celtics.  If he felt like he wasn't earning his money, he'd retire.  He'll be worth every single penny we are paying him.
we finally can agree on something lol

as far as question I'm all smiles right now so there's your answer on where I stand
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2012, 09:51:53 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
1. You don't pay him for what he's done, you pay him for what he's going to do. I understand where some of you are coming from when you say that he is worth $20 million per based on what he did last season. He WAS paid 20 million, so I'm thrilled for both sides.

2. 36-year-olds don't get max contracts because they have no upside and huge downside. KG is not an exception. Next year he has (very optimistically) max upside. Over three years, he does not.

3. At the same age, David Robinson got 2 years, $20 million from the Spurs and Dikembe Mutombo got 1 yr $15m. That's the best an elderly big man has ever done. Hakeem signed at 38 for $5m.

Inflation, ok... but based on those comps Garnett got pretty much exactly what was coming to him. Not a bargain, exactly, really. Just a nice, fair deal.

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2012, 09:58:18 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
1. You don't pay him for what he's done, you pay him for what he's going to do. I understand where some of you are coming from when you say that he is worth $20 million per based on what he did last season. He WAS paid 20 million, so I'm thrilled for both sides.

2. 36-year-olds don't get max contracts because they have no upside and huge downside. KG is not an exception. Next year he has (very optimistically) max upside. Over three years, he does not.

3. At the same age, David Robinson got 2 years, $20 million from the Spurs and Dikembe Mutombo got 1 yr $15m. That's the best an elderly big man has ever done. Hakeem signed at 38 for $5m.

Inflation, ok... but based on those comps Garnett got pretty much exactly what was coming to him. Not a bargain, exactly, really. Just a nice, fair deal.

Uh no... you pay people based on what they have done (after the rookie contract) because you expect them to repeat what they have done! If KG sucked last season he would have been paid/offered less or retired!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2012, 10:10:46 PM »

Offline jyyzzoel

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
Yes.

He brings scoring, rebounding and -- importantly -- leadership and mentorship.

The first two will start to decline. There is no question about that. But that latter will affect the play of Bradley, JJJ, Sully, Melo, potentially Bass, Steemer and Green (I'm thinking of our Fs and Cs), and will pay dividends for years to come.

Also, of course, it depends on the structure of the contract. Is the last year a team option? Doubtful, but if it is, ho-boy, it is worth it.

agreed 100%. his play is fantastic, especially in the playoffs just gone by, but his leadership is what makes him invaluable.

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2012, 10:16:13 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff

Uh no... you pay people based on what they have done (after the rookie contract) because you expect them to repeat what they have done! If KG sucked last season he would have been paid/offered less or retired!

False, if he had broken his neck yesterday morning he wouldn't be worth a nickel.

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2012, 10:18:50 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
KG is definitely worth the approx. 11mil he'll be getting this season, probably more.  The 2nd year, I'd say it's a 50/50 proposition, but worth it just to get him to re-sign.  The 3rd year is a little bit mystifying to me though.

KG will be 39, making approx. 11mil.  I have a hard time seeing him being at his current level, or a level worthy of that amount of money.

Thinking about if for a bit though, I think this contract is going to be structured rather differently than most.  I would not be surprised if the contract is non-garaunteed the 3rd year.  By doing so, you can start the contract at a lower value intially, and then add in raises of 7.5%.  Also, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a signing bonus involved (15%).  By not garaunteeing the 3rd year, the bonus would be split across only the first 2 years for cap purposes (paid up-front however).

It might break down like this:

1st yr-(9.25+2.24)  11.49 cap hit
2nd yr-(9.94+2.24)  12.18 cap hit
3rd yr-(10.64) non-garaunteed

The total would be 34.31 but only 23.67 would be garaunteed, with 4.48 due basically today.  It's just a theory though.

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2012, 10:26:03 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

False, if he had broken his neck yesterday morning he wouldn't be worth a nickel.

What are you talking about?? Of course, he wouldn't be offered a contract then. So what are you saying, it's a little bit of both? Well I would agree. But the reason players outside of their rookie contract get paid is based on a LARGE majority of what they did in the past! Sure you pay them because you expect them to KEEP doing it but no one pays a player millions upon millions (again, outside of a rookie contract) just because they hope a player will be good, if they haven't ALREADY proven they can do it!

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2012, 10:37:52 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
You give a contract based on what you think the guy will produce. In this case, the guy is 37. You will not offer him a contract based on how he played when he was 36. You will offer him a contract based on how you think he will play when he is 37-40.

Based on his age, you could guess he'll be about half as good as he was. Pretty reasonable.

That's about what they're going to pay him.

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2012, 10:41:42 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Yeah.  We got a bargain.  In the playoffs he was easily the MVP of this team on both ends.  He carried us a number of games.  Proved he is still a defensive force.  Proved he could still put up 20 and 10 consistently.  Proved he was still a leader of men.  You need an elite big man to be a contender and Kevin Garnett played like one of the best bigs in the entire league.  From mid Feb when he took his leave for "personal reasons" up until game 7 of the Miami series, he was a beast... he almost singlehandedly took us from a sub .500 team to a contender as soon as he moved to center.  Without him we probably get owned in the first round or miss the playoffs entirely.  That makes him as valuable as he wants to be.  Thank your lucky stars the MVP and savior of this organization is continuing to strap on the Celtic green... he's priceless.  Not only for what he does on the court but how he impacts every player (young and old) in this organization.  He took a 50% paycut.  Kiss his feet.
wow lol readin dis ima ask u a question my brother asked me today. 10 years from now who will get more love from da Celtics fans KG or Pierce. I told him Pierce cuz he was here longer but da more i look at dis site idk

At this point, it would be Pierce, because he's been here longer and was drafted by the Cs and has been here through the rebuilding (which was ugly). I look at it this way: KG's now got three more years in which he can win over die hard Pierce fans like me :)

(don't get me wrong, I'm a KG fan, but if I respect the heck out of PP and what he's done here for the Cs).

Paul Pierce has been my all-time favorite Celtic for a long time,  Rajon Rondo has been rapidly progressing up that list since he became a Celtic, but, as much as I loved KG before, he entered a new place in my heart as a Celtics fan this past season--and now this off-season.

10 years from now, folks will be saying; "didn't KG play up in Minnesota or somewhere like that for a couple of years before becoming a Celtic legend."
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2012, 10:43:25 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Yes. Worth it. He will be key in sully and Melo learning the Celtic way

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2012, 10:49:16 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I think Kareem, near the end of his career, was making around what the top stars were making.