Poll

is KG worth $34 million over 3 years at his age?

Perfect amount. Absolutely worth it.
62 (74.7%)
A little too expensive.
16 (19.3%)
No way. He's robbing us.
5 (6%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Voting closed: July 03, 2012, 08:49:34 PM

Author Topic: is KG worth $34 million over 3 years at his age?  (Read 11043 times)

is KG worth $34 million over 3 years at his age?
« on: June 30, 2012, 08:49:34 PM »

Offline jyyzzoel

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
Hi everyone.  I personally think the deal is perfect, but I just saw a tweet from Jared Dudley, and just wondered if anyone thought KG was getting too much from us:

Jared Dudley: The media can keep callin KG old and say he's lost a step, Well that same old man is signing his 4th deal worth 34mill! Lol I wish I was old Twitter

Re: is KG worth $34 million over 3 years at his age?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 08:52:22 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
If u look at his numbers compared to other centers dis past year $11 mil is cool wit me Kwame Brown got paid $7 mil last year if u wanna put it in retrospective or wateva yall call dat aint many free agents comin up in da near future anyway KG deserves dat contract

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 08:53:34 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I am curious to know what the exact terms of the contract are.

I would not be surprised if part or all of the final year of the contract are non-guaranteed.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 08:55:28 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Put ageism aside. 7ft Kevin Garnett production wise is closer $20mil a year player than $11mil player.

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 08:56:08 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Yes.

He brings scoring, rebounding and -- importantly -- leadership and mentorship.

The first two will start to decline. There is no question about that. But that latter will affect the play of Bradley, JJJ, Sully, Melo, potentially Bass, Steemer and Green (I'm thinking of our Fs and Cs), and will pay dividends for years to come.

Also, of course, it depends on the structure of the contract. Is the last year a team option? Doubtful, but if it is, ho-boy, it is worth it.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 08:56:14 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Yeah.  We got a bargain.  In the playoffs he was easily the MVP of this team on both ends.  He carried us a number of games.  Proved he is still a defensive force.  Proved he could still put up 20 and 10 consistently.  Proved he was still a leader of men.  You need an elite big man to be a contender and Kevin Garnett played like one of the best bigs in the entire league.  From mid Feb when he took his leave for "personal reasons" up until game 7 of the Miami series, he was a beast... he almost singlehandedly took us from a sub .500 team to a contender as soon as he moved to center.  Without him we probably get owned in the first round or miss the playoffs entirely.  That makes him as valuable as he wants to be.  Thank your lucky stars the MVP and savior of this organization is continuing to wear the Celtic green with pride... he's priceless.  Not only for what he does on the court but how he impacts every player (young and old) in this organization.  He took a 50% paycut.  Kiss his feet.

Honestly if he had asked for 20 million I would have given him 20 million.  KG has too much pride to rob the Celtics.  If he felt like he wasn't earning his money, he'd retire.  He'll be worth every single penny we are paying him.

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 08:57:13 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 872
  • GOT IT!!!

I would not be surprised if part or all of the final year of the contract are non-guaranteed.

I bet that is the case. I see KG playing one or two more years then retiring.

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 08:57:29 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365
the guy averaged 19ppg 10rpg in the playoffs..

but production aside what KG brings to the table off the court is soo important to this team and the development of our youth...Pierce said that when KG got here he brought with him a culture of perfection that he demanded from everyone

and for sullinger/melo to reach their potentials KG being here to mentor them is the best thing for them.

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 08:58:51 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Every single bit.

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 08:58:59 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

That.

Also depends on what his role on the team will be. With enough talent to do the heavy lifting, Garnett is easily worth the 10 million. If you're going to ask him to carry the team on his back for 82 games, you're looking for trouble.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 08:59:10 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
He's definitely worth that currently.  In year three, I don't know, but my expectation is that he'll probably retire by then.

By the way, I don't think Dudley was saying that KG got paid too much.  I saw that tweet as one of respect.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 08:59:19 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
Yeah.  We got a bargain.  In the playoffs he was easily the MVP of this team on both ends.  He carried us a number of games.  Proved he is still a defensive force.  Proved he could still put up 20 and 10 consistently.  Proved he was still a leader of men.  You need an elite big man to be a contender and Kevin Garnett played like one of the best bigs in the entire league.  From mid Feb when he took his leave for "personal reasons" up until game 7 of the Miami series, he was a beast... he almost singlehandedly took us from a sub .500 team to a contender as soon as he moved to center.  Without him we probably get owned in the first round or miss the playoffs entirely.  That makes him as valuable as he wants to be.  Thank your lucky stars the MVP and savior of this organization is continuing to strap on the Celtic green... he's priceless.  Not only for what he does on the court but how he impacts every player (young and old) in this organization.  He took a 50% paycut.  Kiss his feet.
wow lol readin dis ima ask u a question my brother asked me today. 10 years from now who will get more love from da Celtics fans KG or Pierce. I told him Pierce cuz he was here longer but da more i look at dis site idk

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 09:00:16 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Let's see the details of the deal first. No way it is fully guaranteed.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2012, 09:03:08 PM »

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 150
Let's see the details of the deal first. No way it is fully guaranteed.

Yeah, most important question.
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 09:03:58 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Yeah.  We got a bargain.  In the playoffs he was easily the MVP of this team on both ends.  He carried us a number of games.  Proved he is still a defensive force.  Proved he could still put up 20 and 10 consistently.  Proved he was still a leader of men.  You need an elite big man to be a contender and Kevin Garnett played like one of the best bigs in the entire league.  From mid Feb when he took his leave for "personal reasons" up until game 7 of the Miami series, he was a beast... he almost singlehandedly took us from a sub .500 team to a contender as soon as he moved to center.  Without him we probably get owned in the first round or miss the playoffs entirely.  That makes him as valuable as he wants to be.  Thank your lucky stars the MVP and savior of this organization is continuing to strap on the Celtic green... he's priceless.  Not only for what he does on the court but how he impacts every player (young and old) in this organization.  He took a 50% paycut.  Kiss his feet.
wow lol readin dis ima ask u a question my brother asked me today. 10 years from now who will get more love from da Celtics fans KG or Pierce. I told him Pierce cuz he was here longer but da more i look at dis site idk

At this point, it would be Pierce, because he's been here longer and was drafted by the Cs and has been here through the rebuilding (which was ugly). I look at it this way: KG's now got three more years in which he can win over die hard Pierce fans like me :)

(don't get me wrong, I'm a KG fan, but if I respect the heck out of PP and what he's done here for the Cs).
Celtics fan for life.