Author Topic: Dwight Howard wants trade to Brooklyn by Draft  (Read 8169 times)

Dwight Howard wants trade to Brooklyn by Draft
« on: June 20, 2012, 08:28:03 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--magic-to-hire-okc-s-rob-hennigan-as-new-gm.html

Hennigan will immediately be confronted with making a decision on All-Star center Dwight Howard’s future. Howard is signed through the 2012-13 season, but another fallout with management has left him wanting a trade soon. Howard will push for a trade to the Brooklyn Nets before the June 28 NBA draft to clear the way for Nets free agent Deron Williams to re-sign with the Nets and partner in the new Brooklyn arena next season.

hahaha remember these t-shirts that were printed up a few days after Howard said he wasn't going to opt out of his contract?

way to go NJ too by trading your #6 pick for gerald wallace. Now the only chips they have to offer is Lopez and Brooks , no way Orl takes that IMO

Re: Dwight Howard wants trade to Brooklyn by Draft
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 08:33:15 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Those shirts are hilarious - I just found them on sale at the NBA store.  Not sure if it's worth $22, but [dang] if that isn't funny

http://store.nba.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12839090

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 08:34:32 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I'd love it if Dwight Howard was traded quickly. This has dragged on too long.

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 08:57:36 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
if I'm Orlando and it's at all possible, I'd look to move him somewhere else besides Brooklyn for a reasonable exchange OR make him play out the season in Orlando---preferably as an inactive player for the season  ;D

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 08:59:32 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Yay! More on the egomaniac!

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 08:59:43 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Nets can offer future draft picks, though, right? And also take back a bad contract (Hedo or Big Baby).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 09:12:50 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Nets can offer future draft picks, though, right? And also take back a bad contract (Hedo or Big Baby).
but what worth is a future draft pick from a team that has dwight and williams? it's going to be 20's at best

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 09:16:11 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
oh by the way I forgot, Lopez is a free agent so he can't even be offered on draft night and they don't have the salaries to make it work anyways. If he is traded by draft night it won't be to the Nets . Howard's an idiot and screwed himself by not opting out . As the great gazoo would say, "hello dumb dumb"

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 09:16:31 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Morrow and a first should get it done!

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 09:20:45 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Morrow and a first should get it done!

Surely they'll need to include Johan Petro.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 04:34:57 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
if I'm Orlando and it's at all possible, I'd look to move him somewhere else besides Brooklyn for a reasonable exchange OR make him play out the season in Orlando---preferably as an inactive player for the season  ;D
OF course.  The problem is... Dwight and his people will probably tell any team attempting to trade for him that he is not interested in signing an extension and only wants to go to Brooklyn.  A team may call his bluff and take a risk, but then they are in the same position the Magic are in.  If you can't convince Dwight to sign an extension... do you really want to give up significant pieces only to rent him for a season and see him sign with Brooklyn in 2013?

That's why I have maintained since the week the Magic suckered him into staying another year that he'll be traded (most likely to Brooklyn) between June 28th (draft) and July 11th (start of free agency).  My reasoning is... the only team he wants to sign an extension with is Brooklyn... and Brooklyn absolutely will have urgency to get a deal done quickly or risk losing Deron Williams AND possibly Gerald Wallace (who they gave up the 6th pick for) to free agency.  They are both unrestricted.  Brooklyn can't risk blowing this.  They will give Orlando ANYTHING they want outside of Deron Williams... and that probably will be better than what Orlando could get from a team lacking a Dwight extension.

For example... what would your offer be to Orlando for Dwight Howard if Dwight's people are telling you (true or not) that he absolutely will NOT sign an extension in Boston.  Something silly like a sign-and-traded Ray Allen? Would you offer Paul Pierce and nothing else?  Do you have the nuts to trade Rondo for Dwight and then throw all your cap room at Deron Williams ... praying that it all works out and you don't get stuck with Dwight leaving in a year and losing Rondo for nothing?

There is, however, a small "rebuttal" to this that I'll acknowledge.  Say you take a risk on trading significant pieces for Dwight Howard WITHOUT an extension locked up.  I guess theoretically if you can't convince him to sign an extension before the trade deadline, you can always flip him to another team (Brooklyn, I guess).  But at that point, what are the offers gonna be like?  Who wants to rent Dwight for a half-season?  Why would Brooklyn give up significant pieces at that point?... they'd probably just be content waiting half a season and then signing him in the summer of 2013.  

So again... if the Nets are offering a package of Brook Lopez, Marshon Brooks, multiple first rounders, etc... or some package around a sign-and-trade (Kris Humphries or Gerald Wallace)... it might end up being the best offer the Magic get... and that urgency from Brooklyn (right before free agency) will probably force this thing to get done quick.  If Deron flees for nothing... Brooklyn is in deep crap.  Alternatively, if Brooklyn can somehow convince Deron to sign long-term BEFORE Dwight gets traded... Brooklyn no longer has the same urgency and Orlando may have blown their opportunity to fleece the Nets of all non-Deron related assets.

Thus... I continue to say we'll see the trade between the draft and the start of free agency.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 04:45:23 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 05:12:31 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Give em our two first round picks for half a season of Dwight. Throw in Bass in a sign and trade (pretty sure that's possible).
Give them the rights to Krstic too. If they wanna be greedy give em JJJ.

Could be a free for all for Dwight for half a season if they don't sign Deron before draft night.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 12:13:46 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
My interest in entering into the Dwight Howard fray is lower than ever.  Let that side show play itself out elsewhere.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 12:16:04 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
OF course.  The problem is... Dwight and his people will probably tell any team attempting to trade for him that he is not interested in signing an extension and only wants to go to Brooklyn.  A team may call his bluff and take a risk, but then they are in the same position the Magic are in.  If you can't convince Dwight to sign an extension... do you really want to give up significant pieces only to rent him for a season and see him sign with Brooklyn in 2013?

Your logic is right on, but you're forgetting a key part. The Nets have literally nothing to offer. Nothing. If there's a team that'll take him on a rental, and I'm sure there's plenty, they're going to beat the Nets best offer.

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 12:20:39 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
OF course.  The problem is... Dwight and his people will probably tell any team attempting to trade for him that he is not interested in signing an extension and only wants to go to Brooklyn.  A team may call his bluff and take a risk, but then they are in the same position the Magic are in.  If you can't convince Dwight to sign an extension... do you really want to give up significant pieces only to rent him for a season and see him sign with Brooklyn in 2013?

Your logic is right on, but you're forgetting a key part. The Nets have literally nothing to offer. Nothing. If there's a team that'll take him on a rental, and I'm sure there's plenty, they're going to beat the Nets best offer.

Rockets offering Kevin Martin, Sam Dalembert, and their 2 first rounders.

Rockets offer the Lakers Kyle Lowry/Luis Scola for Pau Gasol

Dragic
Lee
Persons
Gasol
Howard

Holler.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner