Author Topic: Lebron has won my respect.  (Read 37672 times)

Re: Lebron has won my respect.
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2012, 03:40:21 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
LeBron can't even catch a break when he gets cramps. All of a sudden fans think he's faking or whatnot. This is just ridiculous! How the heck can someone think he's faking!?

Seriously, this LeBron hate has gone way overboard. Guy is an amazing player. End of story. He will eventually go down as one of the best players ever and there is nothing anyone else can do about it. All of your misplaced resentment towards him will mean nothing.

Also, where do people get off thinking that he betrayed Cleveland? Does your employer own you? The guy did what was best for his future and he maximized his chances of winning a championship. If you ask me he's looking pretty smart right now as he's on the verge of winning his first championship. The Heat will win this year and they will be perennial contenders for years to come.
But there's a reason he can't catch a break, which is because he is always compared to the greats. The greats either didn't get cramps or they did and didn't let you know. Or they were like Jordan with the sickness thing and shouldn't have even been on the court but still rose to great heights.

This is nothing like - nothing whatsoever like - when Derek Jeter was diving into stands cutting up his face while Nomar pouted. It's not like that. He got cramps. Big deal. Women get them every month and they don't usually limp to the bench.  You don't just get cramps randomly like you were suddenly touched by the finger of God like lightning striking. You contribute to what is going on with that sort of thing.

« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2012, 03:47:43 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
I fully believe Lebron James will break down crying if he wins a championship. I want to see that - I want to see this now mature man overcome all of the hatred and ridicule and be a champion. He's taking the game much more seriously now. I expect him to be on the floor crying if he wins - I've been on a winning team myself, and I had a teammate (a senior) that had a breakdown. It was such a beautiful and inspiring scene.

The way he's handling himself now, staying serious through the whole game, proves he's not the same as he was 2 years ago.
It would be horrible to be Lebron - a top 2 best player in the world and a top 1 most hated player in the world. I think he's finally channeling that hatred into the way he sees the game of basketball.

Guess what...I dont give two rips.  He still hasnt earned anything.  He plays like a mule, whines like a baby to the refs, and has been given everyhting that he's never earned.  He's a product of a system and his championship will just be another ornament from the manufacturer in my book.

« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2012, 03:52:55 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
as for the "cramp" - he actually needed teammates to help him off the floor after he dragged his leg around at midcourt once again - even though he was able to run down the court and pull up for the 3-point shot.

btw ........ what exactly is "a typical hater-based" ?

yes, i hate him as a basketball player - i just gave you some of the reasons why.

None of what you mentioned had anything to do with his playing of basketball, but okay.

I had a sickly feeling when those nauseating Jordan fake-sick drama commercials kept playing over and over...That the narcissistic attention-addict messiah wasn't going to be upstaged.

It's not enough for every freaking camera to be on him going into timeouts, coming out of timeouts, when he chomping on his mouthpiece or biting his freaking nails.  Or when he's at the free throw line shooting free throws because he's been phantomly fouled.  

« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2012, 04:12:30 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 592
You know who has won my respect? That kid on the playground who never wanted to risk losing so he always made sure to play with the other kid who was about as good as him, then they picked the next best guy and would say "What? You got Melvin! Melvin is good!"  That kid has won my respect.
Also those small countries that allied with Hitler even though he didn't need them. Hungary and Mussolini. They played a good game. They fought hard. They totally won my respect. And Jar Jar Binks.  And the Arab Sheik that bought every horse in the Kentucky Derby. And those guys on Wall Street that hedged their hedges with more hedges and then hedged some more and needed to be bailed out, then used the money to give themselves bonuses. They all earned my respect. Good game. Good effort.

Pure genius, should be post of the year.

The truth in this post is as good as the humor.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2012, 04:30:23 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
LOL reading some of the reasoning on why some of you guys hate LeBron is hilarious.  It's so petty and childish... sounds like a bunch of jealous little 12 year olds.  Mostly fans just hate that he's so bloody good and use every excuse imaginable to hide this fact.

I've had respect for him since his rookie season.  Actually... since his first NBA game.  Kid was on the cover of Sports Illustrated as a high schooler... there had never been more hype.  Nike gave him 100 million before his first professional game.  He hadn't earned it yet... NBA fans already had a problem with LeBron before he had even stepped onto the court.  A lot of people "hated" him for that... and expected that he'd turn into "LeBust".  I had seen Yao Ming struggle as a rookie under similar circumstances so it seemed more than likely that "LeBust" was possible... NOBODY makes the jump from high school to the pros and actually succeeds their rookie season.  It just didn't happen.  KG was a role player as a rookie.  Kobe averaged like 7 points and 4 rebounds as a rookie.  It just didn't happen...

Game 1 ... 18 year old kid... everyone looking at him with a microscope and expecting him to choke.  There's a national commercial already from Nike that plays off the idea of him freezing under the pressure.  His team is supposedly playing him out of position at point guard, because he reminds someone of magic Johnson.  The odds are stacked against the kid:  25 points, 9 rebounds, 6 assists 4 steals... 60% shooting.  WOW.  Hat's off, young man... way to exceed expectations.  Respect earned.

He went on to average 21, 6 and 6 as a rookie which was at the time the best numbers ever from a highschool-to-pro rookie.  Respect earned.

Still... people commented on the fact that he shot poorly as a rookie (41%... 29% from three)... which is to be expected from a kid coming out of high school...   Didn't matter.  Year 2 he averages:  27 points, 7 rebounds, 7 assists, 2.2 steals, 47% shooting, 35% from three.  WOW.  MVP-Level stats.  Respect earned, young man... respect earned.

At every step of the way he's just exceeded my expectations.  He took the Cleveland Cavs to the finals at age 22 while his teammates were Larry Hughes, gimpy Zydrunas, Drew Gooden and Sasha Pavlovic.  Are You Freaking Kidding Me? RESPECT EARNED.  People had the audacity to hold it against him that he didn't beat the Spurs by himself in the finals.  Get real.  I pointed out that Paul Pierce had a similar supporting cast in 2007 and they won 24 games.

People assumed he'd go to Miami and become Wade's sidekick... see his numbers drop significant.  Not true... another MVP-caliber season on a 3 man team:  27 points, 7 assists, 8 rebounds.  Takes them to the Finals in his first year there.  RESPECT EARNED, my man.  Respect earned.  Didn't care that they lost to a strong Dallas team.  Pretty amazing that 3 guys can take a team to the finals.

This year... steps it up even more while wade regresses.  Earns MVP once again.  Takes full control over his new team.  Is clearly the best player in the league... with an injured Wade he takes over against Indiana when they put his back against a wall early.  When a feisty Boston team pushes his 2 man team a little too far, he responds by going into Boston and eating the first born children of every citizen.  Respect earned....

He's a great player.  He's doing great things.  It's time he took home a title.  I use to hate Jordan as a kid too... celebrated when he retired the first time.  When he came back, I learned to love him.  How could you not?  You just had to admire Mike... appreciate his skill and enjoy watching him while he graced us with his presence.  Had the internet been as popular during Mike's era... there would likely be a lot less unanimous adoration... we'd all be on message boards coming up with snarky petty new theories to hate him.  The sooner you kids learn to give up your petty grudges against King James, the sooner you can just appreciate what he does as a fan of the sport.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 04:36:23 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2012, 05:16:10 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Nice post, LarBrd33,

You are clearly a big fan of Lebron James.  That's cool.  It's hard to deny that he's a ridiculously gifted basketball player.  

I don't get you compulsion to try to talk the rest of us into rooting for him, though.  This is sports.  We pick favorites and we pick villains.  That's how it works.  Do I have to like Kobe Bryant, too?  Do I have to root for Peyton Manning?  Derek Jeter?  I hope not.

Personally, I respect what Lebron James does as a basketball player.  He doesn't seem like a bad guy in the sort of real world realm that I'm not living in as a sports fan.  

I still bear a grudge about the "Decision."  It's not the decision itself that bothers me, but the classless way that it was done.  Blame his agents and his handlers, but he happily took part.  O.K., fine, he's admitted it was dumb, lesson learned.  

More than that, though.  I hate the way the media treats him.  It's not his fault, I know, but I can't stand the fact that when I turn on SportsCenter, it sometimes feels like they are talking about the NLBJA and not the NBA.  I root for the team game.  I know some of us have widely different philosophies on the game of basketball and what attracts us to it.  The canonization of the individual has never really done it for me, as great as that individual may be.  

A good team that can knock off a team led by one fantastic individual has always appealed more to me.  In short, I guess I root against Lebron based more on my basketball philosophy and aesthetic than anything personally against James himself.  

Go Celtics!!!
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2012, 05:22:08 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I'd respect Lebron if he got called like any other player and you know got called for obvious fouls and techs that others get called for.

« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2012, 05:32:03 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
LarBrd33....

I don't underestimate the messiah's talent at all.  I don't know about the other people in here.  The messiah is the most physically gifted player in any sport ever.

But he gets overt help from Stern and the officials that he obviously doesn't need  that inflate his numbers and manipulate games....And retard his growth as a player.  His treatment is essentially what Jordan got on steroids.  It might be great when he's on your team...But when it cost your team...And the next team each Game 2 on his way to the championship...It's hard to respect.  

If the messiah is officiated like everybody else...His team loses in the conference finals 4-2.  The Finals are tied 2-2.

Then there's the whole narcissist arrogance thing.  From the grandstanding to the picture taking to the decision to the hoodie crap to the "cramps" etc ....

I respect his talent.  That's about it.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 06:36:54 PM by Finkelskyhook »

« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2012, 05:46:45 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365
what exactly has lebron done to earn respect?? honestly after watching this travesty of a playoffs I find myself losing respect for him...the whole "I dont foul out, I know basketball" attitude

theres no doubt that he is a physically gifted player...but Lebron/the Heat are coddle soo much by the Refs/Stern that they have their own set of rules..when you step on the court against miami its 5 v. 8 every game and its made it unbearable

on defense they are allowed to play like the 89 pistons...yet when the opposing team dares to even breath on lebron/wade they go to the line.

the Thunder were the #2 team in the league this year at getting to the line...yet now all of a sudden, Durant cant even get a break and is being treated like a rookie..Durant, a bonafide superstar CANT get any calls playing Miami..while Lebron has 1 foul the whole game..

I would have alot more respect for Lebron if the games were being called fairly and the Heat were still winning...i've seen wayyy too many poorly officiated Heat games in Miami's favor this playoffs for me to have any kind of respect for them.

One can only hope that once Lebron wins his 1, the league stops pushing him soo much and can treat him like the rest of the league.

« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2012, 05:49:22 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
I fully believe Lebron James will break down crying if he wins a championship. I want to see that - I want to see this now mature man overcome all of the hatred and ridicule and be a champion. He's taking the game much more seriously now. I expect him to be on the floor crying if he wins - I've been on a winning team myself, and I had a teammate (a senior) that had a breakdown. It was such a beautiful and inspiring scene.

The way he's handling himself now, staying serious through the whole game, proves he's not the same as he was 2 years ago.
It would be horrible to be Lebron - a top 2 best player in the world and a top 1 most hated player in the world. I think he's finally channeling that hatred into the way he sees the game of basketball.

Guess what...I dont give two rips.  He still hasnt earned anything.  He plays like a mule, whines like a baby to the refs, and has been given everyhting that he's never earned.  He's a product of a system and his championship will just be another ornament from the manufacturer in my book.
What does he have to do to "earn" a championship? Has he not earned his 3 MVPS by averaging around 28, 8, and 8? How in the world do you compare him to a mule? When I see him play, I see a cheetah, a rhino, and a beast. When you whine to the refs, you know you badly want to win the game. That's why you see Kobe, KG, Jordan, etc complain as well!

He obviously hasn't been given everything. He doesn't have a ring yet. And if he gets one this year, you'll probably say he didn't earn it.

I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2012, 05:57:21 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
what exactly has lebron done to earn respect?? honestly after watching this travesty of a playoffs I find myself losing respect for him...the whole "I dont foul out, I know basketball" attitude

theres no doubt that he is a physically gifted player...but Lebron/the Heat are coddle soo much by the Refs/Stern that they have their own set of rules..when you step on the court against miami its 5 v. 8 every game and its made it unbearable

on defense they are allowed to play like the 89 pistons...yet when the opposing team dares to even breath on lebron/wade they go to the line.

the Thunder were the #2 team in the league this year at getting to the line...yet now all of a sudden, Durant cant even get a break and is being treated like a rookie..Durant, a bonafide superstar CANT get any calls playing Miami..while Lebron has 1 foul the whole game..

I would have alot more respect for Lebron if the games were being called fairly and the Heat were still winning...i've seen wayyy too many poorly officiated Heat games in Miami's favor this playoffs for me to have any kind of respect for them.

One can only hope that once Lebron wins his 1, the league stops pushing him soo much and can treat him like the rest of the league.
The refs didn't help Lebron hit the clutch 3 pointer last game. The refs didn't force Westbrook to intentionally foul Chalmers. The refs didn't make Westbrook miss that last three pointer. The refs didn't keep the ball out of Durant's hands.

The refs did call 18 fouls on the Heat, and 20 fouls on the Thunder. Does that mean, because of those 2 fouls, the game was rigged?

Durant went to the line 28 times this series. What a respected rookie.

Some calls were undoubtedly wrong/ missed, but come on. If the game was rigged, we would know it. The Thunder could have won. They had the lead in the 4th quarter. If you want to see a really rigged game -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjRcTiwVEwo

I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2012, 06:01:09 PM »

Offline Freebo

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
You know who I respect? Players that get their houses burned down and still continue to play hard(Reggie Miller), people that get stabbed 10 times and return to the basketball court with even more grind(PP), people who grew up in a small little town, with modest people around, and had to prove himself every day(KG, Rodman), people that dedicate their life and body to what means to be a true professional(Ray), people that step on the court and even though undersized(Iverson, Nate R), give you their best everyday, people that play hurt, and i don;t mean cramp hurt. I mean like HURT, like knee sprain, broken hand, dislocated elbow, bone spurs, bad knees, bad wrists, bad toes, etc.

I don't respect someone because someone comes and says:"he is the best off all times". I dont root for someone just because some people drool just at their presence. I wanna see people that do more that i see them doing. I wanna see them dive on the floor, get loose balls and fall in the stands over 4 chairs, i wanna see them grind through blood sweat tears. I dont want to see some steroid jock having favorable calls, and being crushed and praised by the media. I do NOT care about that, NOR do i respect it.

« Reply #72 on: June 20, 2012, 06:27:54 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He's a great player.  He's doing great things.  It's time he took home a title.  I use to hate Jordan as a kid too... celebrated when he retired the first time.  When he came back, I learned to love him.  How could you not?  You just had to admire Mike... appreciate his skill and enjoy watching him while he graced us with his presence.  Had the internet been as popular during Mike's era... there would likely be a lot less unanimous adoration... we'd all be on message boards coming up with snarky petty new theories to hate him.  The sooner you kids learn to give up your petty grudges against King James, the sooner you can just appreciate what he does as a fan of the sport.

Doesn't surprise me one bit as you buy anything the league the puts out there lock, stock and barrel.  Some people buy into propaganda more easily than others.  Some people buy into the hype.   I do think he is a great and unique player but some of the comparisons were ludricous.  

1) It is easier to put up big numbers on a bad team, you get more looks plain and simple.  So that may explain some of the rookie greatness.  Still, he was a man-child out of high school and a load.

2) Many feel he was annointed without earning it.  Some of us require proof of greatness and just don't buy into a label the league markets.  Maybe a twelve year might buy into it but a lot of people want to see the goods and hardware before they admit it.  

3)  Many people are turned off on him as a person.   He is very egocentonic and thinks the world revolves around him.   I have to laugh that he is not even top three in athletes earning the big bucks.   Something that MJ never had an issue with.   Two boxers are ahead of him and a golfer for Criminy's sake.  A lot of people don't like the whole drama of the decision and the like.  You can dislike him personally and admit he is a great player.  It has nothing to do with a grudge I just don't like the guy.  You can respect him as a player and not as a person.

4)If you hated Jordan as a kid how much Larry Bird did you really see?  A lot of his best games were prior to the Jordan era.  I lived through a lot more era's than you.   There is a guy the league promotes each era.  LeBron will pass the torch to some latest and greatest guy in the near future.  They will play by a different set of rules with unlimited offensive fouls and travels and have the game called differently than it is called on others.

You really have no right to call anyone childish, bud and people have a right to believe what they want regardless of your opinion.

« Reply #73 on: June 20, 2012, 06:59:28 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
LOL reading some of the reasoning on why some of you guys hate LeBron is hilarious.  It's so petty and childish... sounds like a bunch of jealous little 12 year olds.  Mostly fans just hate that he's so bloody good and use every excuse imaginable to hide this fact.

I've had respect for him since his rookie season.  Actually... since his first NBA game.  Kid was on the cover of Sports Illustrated as a high schooler... there had never been more hype.  Nike gave him 100 million before his first professional game.  He hadn't earned it yet... NBA fans already had a problem with LeBron before he had even stepped onto the court.  A lot of people "hated" him for that... and expected that he'd turn into "LeBust".  I had seen Yao Ming struggle as a rookie under similar circumstances so it seemed more than likely that "LeBust" was possible... NOBODY makes the jump from high school to the pros and actually succeeds their rookie season.  It just didn't happen.  KG was a role player as a rookie.  Kobe averaged like 7 points and 4 rebounds as a rookie.  It just didn't happen...

Game 1 ... 18 year old kid... everyone looking at him with a microscope and expecting him to choke.  There's a national commercial already from Nike that plays off the idea of him freezing under the pressure.  His team is supposedly playing him out of position at point guard, because he reminds someone of magic Johnson.  The odds are stacked against the kid:  25 points, 9 rebounds, 6 assists 4 steals... 60% shooting.  WOW.  Hat's off, young man... way to exceed expectations.  Respect earned.

He went on to average 21, 6 and 6 as a rookie which was at the time the best numbers ever from a highschool-to-pro rookie.  Respect earned.

Still... people commented on the fact that he shot poorly as a rookie (41%... 29% from three)... which is to be expected from a kid coming out of high school...   Didn't matter.  Year 2 he averages:  27 points, 7 rebounds, 7 assists, 2.2 steals, 47% shooting, 35% from three.  WOW.  MVP-Level stats.  Respect earned, young man... respect earned.

At every step of the way he's just exceeded my expectations.  He took the Cleveland Cavs to the finals at age 22 while his teammates were Larry Hughes, gimpy Zydrunas, Drew Gooden and Sasha Pavlovic.  Are You Freaking Kidding Me? RESPECT EARNED.  People had the audacity to hold it against him that he didn't beat the Spurs by himself in the finals.  Get real.  I pointed out that Paul Pierce had a similar supporting cast in 2007 and they won 24 games.

People assumed he'd go to Miami and become Wade's sidekick... see his numbers drop significant.  Not true... another MVP-caliber season on a 3 man team:  27 points, 7 assists, 8 rebounds.  Takes them to the Finals in his first year there.  RESPECT EARNED, my man.  Respect earned.  Didn't care that they lost to a strong Dallas team.  Pretty amazing that 3 guys can take a team to the finals.

This year... steps it up even more while wade regresses.  Earns MVP once again.  Takes full control over his new team.  Is clearly the best player in the league... with an injured Wade he takes over against Indiana when they put his back against a wall early.  When a feisty Boston team pushes his 2 man team a little too far, he responds by going into Boston and eating the first born children of every citizen.  Respect earned....

He's a great player.  He's doing great things.  It's time he took home a title.  I use to hate Jordan as a kid too... celebrated when he retired the first time.  When he came back, I learned to love him.  How could you not?  You just had to admire Mike... appreciate his skill and enjoy watching him while he graced us with his presence.  Had the internet been as popular during Mike's era... there would likely be a lot less unanimous adoration... we'd all be on message boards coming up with snarky petty new theories to hate him.  The sooner you kids learn to give up your petty grudges against King James, the sooner you can just appreciate what he does as a fan of the sport.

King James ... pffft. My opinion of LeBron: As Dirty Harry once said, "You're a legend in your own mind."
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #74 on: June 20, 2012, 07:50:31 PM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108
He acts relatively maturely as long as he keeps getting away with murder when it comes to fouling other players, getting a whistle in his favor every time he goes to the hoop, and travelling whenever he feels like it without ramifications, (via his self-dubbed "crab dribble").

Do you have the same outrage for KG and offensive fouls? Or Pierce when he drives to the hoop? Or is it only selective?

KG and PP do not get the same kind of protection from the refs as Lebron. Nobody does! Not even debatable imo.