Author Topic: Lebron has won my respect.  (Read 37675 times)

Re: Lebron has won my respect.
« Reply #135 on: June 21, 2012, 06:51:57 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
But Chris Paul is better.  I'm not ashamed to have that opinion.  It's true.  And I'm definitely not the only person who believes it (note the fact that Chris Paul was 1st team All-NBA... Rondo, despite his best season was still ranked 3rd team behind Russell Westbrook and even Tony Parker. 

It's true that Rondo finished behind those guys in the all nba voting, it's also true that he finished ahead of all the other Celts in the voting, just like he has for the last few years. If you think this is evidence CP3 is better than Rondo, you must also think it's evidence that Rondo's better than KG and PP and has been for quite a while, right?

« Reply #136 on: June 21, 2012, 07:10:40 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
But Chris Paul is better.  I'm not ashamed to have that opinion.  It's true.  And I'm definitely not the only person who believes it (note the fact that Chris Paul was 1st team All-NBA... Rondo, despite his best season was still ranked 3rd team behind Russell Westbrook and even Tony Parker. 

It's true that Rondo finished behind those guys in the all nba voting, it's also true that he finished ahead of all the other Celts in the voting, just like he has for the last few years. If you think this is evidence CP3 is better than Rondo, you must also think it's evidence that Rondo's better than KG and PP and has been for quite a while, right?

BBall, you and I have never seen eye-to-eye on Rondo. But in answer to your question, Rondo has most definitely been better than KG and PP and has been for awhile.

« Reply #137 on: June 21, 2012, 07:52:52 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
I think James is an incredible talent on the court.  He is truly one of the best in the league right now in that department.

Off the court, I don't really care about what he does.  So what if he reads?  Good for him.  The Decision in really the only thing that has ever bothered me about James.

For all the people that complain about refs giving him lots of calls, I will agree that some of them are ridiculous, but others are because he deserves them due to his reputation.  He attacks the basketball much more than he used to, thus he is going to get lots of contact, leading to more foul calls.  Are there times when he drives and phantom fouls are called?  Sure.  Are there times when he flops on a drive but a foul is called?  Sure.  It's because the refs know that James is an attacking basketball player.  I remember Derrick Rose would never get the calls he gets now his first year or two in the NBA.  Last season, he finally drove the rim so often that he gained that same reputation as James did.  I know it may be a confusing or difficult concept to understand, but that's just how the cookie crumbles.

I'm certainly not a huge LeBron James fan, but I feel that he gets unnecessary criticism too often.

« Reply #138 on: June 21, 2012, 08:20:01 PM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108
I think James is an incredible talent on the court.  He is truly one of the best in the league right now in that department.

Off the court, I don't really care about what he does.  So what if he reads?  Good for him.  The Decision in really the only thing that has ever bothered me about James.

For all the people that complain about refs giving him lots of calls, I will agree that some of them are ridiculous, but others are because he deserves them due to his reputation.  He attacks the basketball much more than he used to, thus he is going to get lots of contact, leading to more foul calls.  Are there times when he drives and phantom fouls are called?  Sure.  Are there times when he flops on a drive but a foul is called?  Sure.  It's because the refs know that James is an attacking basketball player.  I remember Derrick Rose would never get the calls he gets now his first year or two in the NBA.  Last season, he finally drove the rim so often that he gained that same reputation as James did.  I know it may be a confusing or difficult concept to understand, but that's just how the cookie crumbles.

I'm certainly not a huge LeBron James fan, but I feel that he gets unnecessary criticism too often.

No player deserves the type of calls he gets no matter what his 'reputation' is. He plays above the rules and it is wrong. No other superstar gets the calls he gets. I bet he does not even know what the NBA rules are supposed to be. Why should he? He gets to do whatever he wants.

« Reply #139 on: June 21, 2012, 10:07:16 PM »

Offline Frezz

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48
I'll never understand the mentality of "Hey he has a reputation, he's earned calls". Why does the name on the back of a jersey determine whether what just occurred is a foul or not? And why are some people ok with that?

His playing style is hard to stomach. There are many times when he lowers his head and just bulls his way to the rim and he's not even looking to put the ball in the basket. He's simply looking for a defender to throw his body into to get a call. And he usually gets it. And the rare time he doesn't, he throws his hands up and looks at the ref. And no technical foul either. Hard to watch. Hard to root for.

And for what it's worth, I don't care what he reads before a game.

« Reply #140 on: June 21, 2012, 10:31:14 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
I'll never understand the mentality of "Hey he has a reputation, he's earned calls". Why does the name on the back of a jersey determine whether what just occurred is a foul or not? And why are some people ok with that?

His playing style is hard to stomach. There are many times when he lowers his head and just bulls his way to the rim and he's not even looking to put the ball in the basket. He's simply looking for a defender to throw his body into to get a call. And he usually gets it. And the rare time he doesn't, he throws his hands up and looks at the ref. And no technical foul either. Hard to watch. Hard to root for.

And for what it's worth, I don't care what he reads before a game.
That's called playing aggressive in the game of basketball. Believe it or not, coaches have been known to tell their players to be "aggressive". Take into consideration that this is the NBA, and you are not going to drive as much as Lebron does every game without taking a couple hits. I honestly like watching aggressive basketball. If I were a Heat fan, I'd rather Lebron bully his way to the rim instead of shooting a jumper. Why on Earth would Lebron not
try to put the ball in the basket? Come on, that's the point of the game, and he's not looking to hit players on his way to the rim with no purpose.

The refs don't look at the back of a jersey when they call shooting fouls. They look at their hands, defensive positioning, etc. Unless the other team had twice as many fouls as the other, then games are usually not rigged. I don't know a single ref that likes hearing players complain. If anything, that would diminish favorable calls to the player.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #141 on: June 21, 2012, 11:52:54 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
LeBron has been a monster the last 7 games.  It's unfortunate how he cries and Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.es to the refs so incessantly, but there's no denying his talent. 

To me, the way LeBron chose to join his big rival in order to get a title sullens his legacy.  Imagine if Isiah Thomas left Detroit to join the Celtics instead of fighting with his team to get to the top.  Or if Jordan left Chicago in 1990 to join the Pistons. 

It was a punk move by LeBron to leave his team to join the Wade in Miami, and even if he wins five or six titles there I will always hold it against him that be took the easy road to a title.     

« Reply #142 on: June 21, 2012, 11:59:13 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
LeBron has been a monster the last 7 games.  It's unfortunate how he cries and ****es to the refs so incessantly, but there's no denying his talent. 

To me, the way LeBron chose to join his big rival in order to get a title sullens his legacy.  Imagine if Isiah Thomas left Detroit to join the Celtics instead of fighting with his team to get to the top.  Or if Jordan left Chicago in 1990 to join the Pistons. 

It was a punk move by LeBron to leave his team to join the Wade in Miami, and even if he wins five or six titles there I will always hold it against him that be took the easy road to a title.     
Wade was not stopping Lebron from winning a championship, the Celtics were.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #143 on: June 22, 2012, 01:17:11 AM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
The refs don't look at the back of a jersey when they call shooting fouls. They look at their hands, defensive positioning, etc. Unless the other team had twice as many fouls as the other, then games are usually not rigged. I don't know a single ref that likes hearing players complain. If anything, that would diminish favorable calls to the player.

I can't agree with this. Refs do look at the back of the jerseys, and allow the bulldozing play of LeBron and Karate Hamster. And they hand and-ones to Kobe and Lebron like they did with MJ so their shooting percents aren't that terrible.

That's a disgrace for the game. And that's why I don't like the NBA. I love the Celtics, and that's the only reason for me to stay up/get up early to watch them. You can respect his talent, but nobody will tell me I have to respect him or even like him.

I don't like LeBron, he's a beast, but he isn't in Larry Bird's category, and it makes me want to puke when people compare them. Larry was a man in college, LeBron is a kid at his age. Compare him to MJ, I don't like either one and both were Stern's golden boys.

Congrats to all LeBron's fans, but as Celtic fans it sounds crazy to celebrate his ring. I can't forget how the refs gave them game 2, and how last year Karate Hamster injured OUR star PG. Stern has finally handed him "his" ring, and I only hope he stops trying so hard to help him, but watching Kobe, there's not a lot of hope.

Celtics should've been playing this series, not the CHeat. Joey Crawford should be 2-time Finals MVP.

Go Celtics!!!

« Reply #144 on: June 22, 2012, 01:40:55 AM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney

I can't agree with this. Refs do look at the back of the jerseys, and allow the bulldozing play of LeBron and Karate Hamster. And they hand and-ones to Kobe and Lebron like they did with MJ so their shooting percents aren't that terrible.

That's a disgrace for the game. And that's why I don't like the NBA. I love the Celtics, and that's the only reason for me to stay up/get up early to watch them. You can respect his talent, but nobody will tell me I have to respect him or even like him.

I don't like LeBron, he's a beast, but he isn't in Larry Bird's category, and it makes me want to puke when people compare them. Larry was a man in college, LeBron is a kid at his age. Compare him to MJ, I don't like either one and both were Stern's golden boys.

Congrats to all LeBron's fans, but as Celtic fans it sounds crazy to celebrate his ring. I can't forget how the refs gave them game 2, and how last year Karate Hamster injured OUR star PG. Stern has finally handed him "his" ring, and I only hope he stops trying so hard to help him, but watching Kobe, there's not a lot of hope.

Celtics should've been playing this series, not the CHeat. Joey Crawford should be 2-time Finals MVP.

Go Celtics!!!
I doubt they would be gawking at the back of someone's jersey during action. Maybe during free throws and what not, but when a potential call could be made, they are looking for contact.

Stern may have shown Lebron the ring he earned, but he had to claw it out of his hands and push the Thunder out of the way to get it (Not to mention the Celtics, Pacers, and Knicks).
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #145 on: June 22, 2012, 01:54:03 AM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170

Go Celtics!!!
I doubt they would be gawking at the back of someone's jersey during action. Maybe during free throws and what not, but when a potential call could be made, they are looking for contact.

Stern may have shown Lebron the ring he earned, but he had to claw it out of his hands and push the Thunder out of the way to get it (Not to mention the Celtics, Pacers, and Knicks).

Well, they don't need to look at the back of the jerseys literally. LeBron and the Hamster are really famous. No offense to LeBron, he played very well (ref help aside), but he travelled away with murder every time, and that makes it a little less difficult.

And of course, not only LeBron, but Wade and the rest of the Heat pushed their opponents out of the way to get it. Remember Pittman or the Wade flagrant (non called) on Darren Collison? You're right on this one.

« Reply #146 on: June 22, 2012, 02:30:18 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
It's hard.  Based purely on his play, I thought Lebron James played better than I've ever seen him these playoffs.  Then, just as I'm starting to get over all my irrational hatred stuff, he comes out with that "'bout [dang]' time!!" comment in his post-game speech. 

I officially hate him and his stinking Miami Heat again, even more than I did after they squeaked by us in the ECF.  And, that's how it should be.  I'm a Celtics fan, after all.  If you root for the Bobcats or the Wizards, go ahead, respect Lebron James as a a talent and a basketball player.

But, no not us.  Nuh uh.  Not Celtics fans.  We're still in this fight.  There's no way I'm giving myself up to the "Lebron Era." 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #147 on: June 22, 2012, 08:49:51 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
LeBron has been a monster the last 7 games.  It's unfortunate how he cries and ****es to the refs so incessantly, but there's no denying his talent. 

Wade was not stopping Lebron from winning a championship, the Celtics were.

Maybe this is better:  Jordan couldn't get past the for many years.  What if he just packed up and joined Drexler and Co. in Portland to win a title by besting the Pistons in the Finals?  Would his legacy be as great as it is today?