Author Topic: Are we absolutely, totally certain 3J can't play the 3?  (Read 10452 times)

Are we absolutely, totally certain 3J can't play the 3?
« on: June 13, 2012, 05:26:22 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
So with the combine this week and all the talk of Durant's not exactly acing their tests, I went back and looked at his #'s.

Then considering how Doc said this week it took him a full year and a half to realize that Bradley should be playing the 2 instead of the 1, I compared Durant's combine numbers with 3J's.  (As you may remember, this season Doc said at one point he wasn't certain 3J was a 4.)

First, let me say that I know 3J is no KD.  Also, I'll acknowledge that KD was hitting threes in college, when 3J wasn't even attempting any.  But we do know that 3J is a very good jump shooter.  I'd say they have a very similar hunched, narrow shoulders body type.

Anyway, here goes:

Ht w/o shoes: 3J 6'9", KD 6'9"
Wt: 3J 220, KD 215
No step vert: 3J  33.5, KD 26.0
Max vert: 3J 38.0, KD 33.5
Bench press: 3J 15, KD 0
Lane agility: 3J 11.21, KD 12.33
3/4 court sprint: 3J 3.14, KD 3.45

I would take ball handling to be 3J's biggest issue for a move to the three, because I'm not buying that he lacks the speed or lateral movement to play the position.  

If ball handling were his number one priority for the next six months, how much better could he get?

I'm just not absolutely, totally, positively, completely convinced this might not be a good route for him.

Re: Are we absolutely, totally certain 3J can't play the 3?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 05:35:54 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
The one stint I saw JJJ at the 3 he was repeatedly left in the dust by Sam Young in isolation.  So, no, I don't think he's a viable 3. 
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 05:45:08 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Yes, we are absolutely certain he can't play 3.  He's not coordinated enough to stay in front of 3s....Or quick 4s.

But he can torch 3s and small 4s offensively....So it may be a wash.

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 06:18:56 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I'm still not certain that the Sam Young experience or 'lack of coordination' couldn't be overcome by practice and experience at the position.

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 06:20:34 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
yes.

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 06:21:09 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Defensively, no way.

Offensively, who knows but I have serious doubts.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 06:21:45 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Offensively, who knows but I have serious doubts.
Not skilled enough, not quick enough, you name it.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 06:53:13 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
TP for the post and for the results of the combine. I think that bball iq and reaction time are intangibles that aren't accounted for here, but I didn't realize his numbers were better in every area...is it possible that he could play the 3?

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 06:54:33 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I'm not absolutely, totally certain 3J can play the game of basketball.  He's a nobody until he goes Avery Bradley on us and plays well for a half month.

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 07:14:55 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I'm not absolutely, totally certain 3J can play the game of basketball.  He's a nobody until he goes Avery Bradley on us and plays well for a half month.

Cosign
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 07:17:11 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
I think he's a 4...Jajuan Johnson will be a good roleplayer...think carl landry IMO...he's already got a silky NBA jumper

like bass, hes a good "pick and pop" type player, and had a nice turn around jumper in college.

his problem is that hes too skinny right now and cant guard the post....when he gets the defensive schemes, Doc will play him.

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 07:21:01 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Rivers said late during the regular season that him and Danny think that they may have been wrong on how they view JJJ, that they thought he was a 4 but may actually be a 3. Who knows, it;s possible. They made a similar mistake with Bradley thinking he was a 1 but is a great 2.

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 07:22:32 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
Think "Marcus Camby"..? Same build right off...he likes to rebound and block shots...JJJ has a better shot...and who knows..maybe a lot more...!!! Durant is no muscle man either....but try to stop him..!!!

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 07:30:25 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
How's his dribble?

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 07:41:12 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
NBAdraft.net thought he might be able to be a 3:

"A long, tall forward with good scoring instincts ... Is a legit 6'10" in shoes with a long 7'2" wingspan ... Has very impressive leaping ability with unusual explosiveness for a big man ... Tied for having the highest maximum jump reach in the 2011 NBA Draft Combine, getting as high as 12'1.5" ... Frequent target for ally-oops and lob passes ... Very agile and mobile ... Has the speed to play the small forward position at the next level ... Really improved his scoring ability every year he was at school ... Has a smooth and refined turnaround jumper, which is very difficult to defend due to his length ... Has shooting range out to around 18 feet from the basket ... Has become a real threat in the post ... Nice-looking hook shot from the left side of the rim, with a soft touch and a high release point ... A factor on the offensive glass, gets a lot of tip-ins and put-backs ... Great free throw shooter (80.9%) that gets to the stripe a lot (209 attempts in 2010-2011) ... Moves his feet well on defense ... Big-time shot blocker, averaging 2.3 per game ... Had a successful 4-year career at Purdue ..."

http://nbadraft.net/players/jajuan-johnson

Give this kid a chance at the 3 or the 4. People are giving up on him. He had no summer league or training camp and far fewer practices because of the shortened season and the wear and tear on our vets. JJJ has skills.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 07:59:03 PM by csfansince60s »