Author Topic: Nerlens Noel = A Future Celtics Star ?  (Read 17872 times)

Re: Nerlens Noel = A Future Celtics Star ?
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2013, 12:09:54 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Probably stays in school for at least another year.

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2013, 09:12:45 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Didn't know where to put it, but Nerlens looks done for the season... probably an ACL tear as well!

Considering the fact that he has openly said he's a Celtics fan, no big surprise there... :P

Yikes! If so, that puts a major question mark next to him on draft night. ACL tear for an undersized big who relies on his quickness and explosiveness. A lot of added risk there.
Will he still come out in the draft is a big question. But yeah that injury didn't look good.

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2013, 09:16:25 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Any young man with a first round draft promise should watch this video before making his decision. The rule that disallows HS players from declaring for the NBA draft is unfair to players and fans. 

If a young man wants to earn a living right away as a basketball player he has that right. Unfortunately the NBAPA didn't feel strongly enough about the issue to fight for that in their last labor agreement.  Too bad all the HS-to-pros in the union, like KG, Kobe, and LBJ, didn't fight for it.  I know Jermaine O'Neal was outspoken in his belief that the new rule was unfair and bad for the game.  As an NBA fan, I enjoyed watching LeBron, Shaq, KG, and Kobe as rookies, and I even enjoyed watching some of the HS guys who struggled their first year in the league.  HS-to-pros guys are generally  more successful long term than players who go the college route (probably because they're more talented than the average college prospect). 

One and done does nothing but delay the inevitable, anyways.  And in the worse case scenario, a catastrophic injury may take away a talented young man's future, like what might have happened to Noel.  Without the new rule, he's be on an NBA roster right now, with at least $5m guaranteed to him, rehabbing his injury with the best resources that money can buy.

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2013, 09:23:41 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
That's a real bummer how this went down.

Any young man with a first round draft promise should watch this video before making his decision. The rule that disallows HS players from declaring for the NBA draft is unfair to players and fans. 

If a young man wants to earn a living right away as a basketball player he has that right. Unfortunately the NBAPA didn't feel strongly enough about the issue to fight for that in their last labor agreement.  Too bad all the HS-to-pros in the union, like KG, Kobe, and LBJ, didn't fight for it.  I know Jermaine O'Neal was outspoken in his belief that the new rule was unfair and bad for the game.  As an NBA fan, I enjoyed watching LeBron, Shaq, KG, and Kobe as rookies, and I even enjoyed watching some of the HS guys who struggled their first year in the league.  HS-to-pros guys are generally  more successful long term than players who go the college route (probably because they're more talented than the average college prospect). 

One and done does nothing but delay the inevitable, anyways.  And in the worse case scenario, a catastrophic injury may take away a talented young man's future, like what might have happened to Noel.  Without the new rule, he's be on an NBA roster right now, with at least $5m guaranteed to him, rehabbing his injury with the best resources that money can buy.

I totally agree, in all sports.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

Nerlens Noel suffers bad knee injury
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2013, 10:34:29 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFsUXzSYh9w

sucks, he was likely going to be the # 1 pick . Guess he won't be entering the draft this year.

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2013, 03:42:47 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
While I don't disagree with you that it is unfair to HS players that the NBA won't sign them until they are 19 or have completed one year of college, they *do* have other options. A player can come out of HS and play professionally overseas, like Jennings did, for a year and then enter the draft. That is a perfectly reasonable alternative that more kids should explore. I'm not positive, but I also think a kid could go directly to the DLeague from high school, as I don't think unaffiliated players there covered by the CBA.

So, sure it's not really fair to make them wait a year, but a kid could go play for pay in Spain, France, Italy, or China for a year or two before they even *graduate* from HS. More power to 'em!

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2013, 04:39:41 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Didn't know where to put it, but Nerlens looks done for the season... probably an ACL tear as well!

Considering the fact that he has openly said he's a Celtics fan, no big surprise there... :P

Yikes! If so, that puts a major question mark next to him on draft night. ACL tear for an undersized big who relies on his quickness and explosiveness. A lot of added risk there.
Will he still come out in the draft is a big question. But yeah that injury didn't look good.

I think coming out would be the best decision for him.  He'll still get drafted, probably pretty high, in the first round.  I have to imagine his rehab will go better with a pro team able to look after him, and being able to rehab full-time, rather than college resources and also time commitments.  Even if he loses a little money in the draft, it's one year earlier to free agency.  He'd probably make as much long term if he comes out, since he was never getting drafted first overall next year, anyway.

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2013, 04:51:51 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
He's out for season eh? That's a real bummer.

I guess he needs to stay one more year in school. Unless he doesnt mind not being the number 1 overall pick.

I think he needs to stay for one more year anyways. His defense is there, but he still needs to work on his offense. I've seen some Kentucky games, a few of them and I rarely saw this kid make an offensive move on his own.

I wish him the best of luck, and hope he recovers. If he works hard and get back, he could be exciting to watch.

(POST 3000 baby)
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2013, 06:47:16 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Noel's injury probably knocked him out of the top 3-5 picks.  But I think he'll still be in the lottery range.  Basically you need to be in top 10 to have a chance at him.  But good news is there's lots of big men in this year's draft.

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2013, 06:50:51 PM »

fitzhickey

I think that because of his injury he will stay at school for a year. I hope that in the not too distant future he is on the celtics roster, think he could be a defensive monster.

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2013, 07:33:33 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
He's out for season eh? That's a real bummer.

I guess he needs to stay one more year in school. Unless he doesnt mind not being the number 1 overall pick.

I think he needs to stay for one more year anyways. His defense is there, but he still needs to work on his offense. I've seen some Kentucky games, a few of them and I rarely saw this kid make an offensive move on his own.

I wish him the best of luck, and hope he recovers. If he works hard and get back, he could be exciting to watch.

(POST 3000 baby)

He's not going to be the Number 1 pick next year even if he's healthy...Wiggins has got that down pat.

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2013, 08:12:42 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I think that because of his injury he will stay at school for a year. I hope that in the not too distant future he is on the celtics roster, think he could be a defensive monster.

That would be silly.  Most mock drafts since his injury still have him going #4-6.  He wasn't going #1 next year before he got hurt, so what does he gain from staying?  Only time to not heal quickly and drop further.  He should drop out of school tomorrow, go to rehab full-time, get drafted, and shoot 200 free throws a day while his knee is strengthening.  It's terrible he got hurt, and it would be a shame if he delayed his NBA career because of it.

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2013, 08:30:23 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
There are 4 possible ways to get him on the draft night.

1. Underperforming in College. It could be chemistry issue or injuries. (see Avery Bradley)

2. Being red-flagged in the draft and slide to us because other teams are afraid to take risk. (Jared Sullinger)

4. He becomes a player w/ a baggage (Royce White, Latrell Spreewell, Gilbert Arenas, etc.)

4. Danny will make a trade for a higher draft pick.

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2013, 09:27:43 PM »

Offline diconzo

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 85
DA should definitely try for Noel. He would love to be here & is actually obtainable now that he won't be the first pick. We have a desperate need for a player like Noel and provided he recovered on schedule, could even contribute in his rookie year. Perfect complement post player to Sully, but I'm guessing if Danny made a push for Noel that Sully may have to go. He definitely has something planned, and I think that's why all 3 contracts (Williams, White, Randolph) have team options, rather than just non-guaranteed deals.

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2013, 11:13:22 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
nerlens will be going to the nba, the 2014 draft is LOADED and for him to stay would risk not being a lottery pick.og.com/Smileys/classic/tongue.gif