Author Topic: Celtics (2-2) at Heat (2-2) ECF Game 5 6/5  (Read 162037 times)

Celtics (2-2) at Heat (2-2) ECF Game 5 6/5
« on: June 04, 2012, 09:28:14 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11831
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at   
Boston Celtics (10-7, 2-2) at Miami Heat (10-5,2-2)
Playoff Game #18 – Road Game #9
Tuesday, June 5, 2012
8:30 pm ET
TV: ESPN, TSN   
Radio: WEEI,  ESPN Radio
American Airlines Arena

Probable Starting Matchups
Point Guard
vs
Rajon Rondo vs Mario Chalmers

Shooting Guard
  vs 
Ray Allen vs Dwyane Wade

Small Forward

vs
Paul Pierce vs LeBron James

Power Forward

vs
Brandon Bass vs Shane Battier

Center

vs
Kevin Garnett vs Chris Bosh 

Reserves
Greg Stiemsma
JaJuan Johnson
E'Twaun Moore
Marquis Daniels
Sasha Pavlovic
Ray Allen
Keyon Dooling
Ryan Hollins
Mickael Pietrus

Injuries
Paul Pierce (knee) probable
Mickael Pietrus (hamstring) probable
Ray Allen (ankle) probable
Greg Stiemsma (feet) probable
Avery Bradley (shoulder) out

Reserves
Joel Anthony
Mike Miller
Norris Cole
James Jones
Juwan Howard
Eddy Curry
Udonis Haslem
Terrel Harris

Injuries
Chris Bosh (ab strain) game time decision

Key Matchups
vs
Rajon Rondo vs Mario Chalmers
As always, Rondo is the key to the Celtics offense, defense, and energy.  When Rondo plays well, the Celtics play well.  When Rondo is aggressive, he causes matchup problems for the Heat.  Rondo must be aggressive and he must run the offense and not allow it to get stagnant.  Chalmers played very well at home and so the Celtics must also cover him as well.     

vs
Paul Pierce vs LeBron James
Both Pierce and James fouled out in game 4.  For Pierce it was the 3rd time in 5 games that he was unable to finish out a game.  It was the first time that James has fouled out since 2008 and he whined and complained about it afterwards saying that he doesn't foul out and that he didn't deserve the 6th foul.  Will this affect the way these two players are treated by the refs in this game? Regardless, the Celtics need Pierce to attack the basket and be aggressive and hopefully he will get a break from the refs in spite of being on the road. 

Honorable Mention

Kevin Garnett vs Chris Bosh (or whoever)
With Chris Bosh rumored to be back for this game things get a bit more difficult for KG.  In spite of the fact that Bosh will be rusty and will have to work his way back into shape, he will give them more than Turiaf and Anthony have.  KG will hopefully continue his otherworldly play and even though the Heat may get a boost from the return of Bosh, he may also disrupt the flow as they work to reincorporate him into the lineup.   

Game Notes
As the series shifts back to Miami, the buzz is all about the possible return of Chris Bosh.  His return could give the Heat a boost and make it harder for KG or it could disrupt their chemistry since he has been out for 9 games as they try to re-insert Bosh into their lineup.  It will definitely give them a boost emotionally and the Celtics have to weather that. 

With KG, Ray, Pierce and Rondo, the Celtics are 8-0 in game 5's when the series is tied 2-2.  While this may point to the heart and grit of this group, as with everything else in a series, each game is different and it will be up to the players to bring it on the court in order to get the win. 

The spotlight has been on the officiating in this game.  The officiating in games 1 and 2 was terrible.  The non-calls on Rondo and Wade more than likely cost the Celtics game 2.  The officiating was fairly even in games 3 and 4 but still not without controversy as both Pierce and LeBron fouled out, leading to complaints and whining from LeBron after the game.  Then, there was Rondo's half time bit about the Heat spending too much time complaining to he refs during the game.  A big factor in this game will be how it's called and how the players respond to how it's called. 

The series is now the best of 3 and the Celtics must win one game in Miami while the Heat simply have to win at home.  The Celtics have the momentum after winning the two in Boston  and hopefully can carry that over to this game.  They need to come out strong in this one and give it their best shot to get this game as a game 7 on the road is tough to win.   

Keys to the Game

Start strong - The Celtics must come out strong and be aggressive right from the opening tip.   They have to hit their shots and they have to play defense to prevent the easy scoring from the Heat.  The Heat always make a run at some time in the game and so the Celtics have to build a cushion in order to withstand that run.  Against the Heat, the Celtics can't afford to dig a hole because it is very difficult to dig out of it.

Run the Offense - The Celtics must run their sets and move the ball.  The Celtics are at their best when they are moving the ball and making the extra pass and finding the open man.  Along with moving the ball, they have to make smart passes and not the sloppy passes that lead to turnovers since turnovers against the Heat usually lead to a LeBron or Wade dunk at the other end.  The Celtics have been starting out strong but letting up in the second half.  They must keep their ball movement and offense moving for the whole game. 

Rebound - The Celtics got out worked on the boards 48-33 in game 1.  The rebounding was even in game 2 and the Celtics have outrebounded the Heat in both of their wins.  When the Celtics crash the boards and win the rebounding battle they usually win the game.  Pietrus' effort to grab the offensive rebounds in OT may have saved that win.  The Celtics have got to put out effort in going after rebounds and crashing the boards.   The team that wins the rebounding battle more often than not wins the war. 

Defense - Defense wins championships.  That's not just a cute saying, either.  The Celtics have got to play in your face defense from start to finish if they want to win this game.  Defense becomes even more important on the road as role players tend to shoot better at home and so the Celtics will need to close out the 3 point shooters as well as shut down the paint. 

Be Aggressive - The Celtics must be the more aggressive team if they want to win this game.  They have to be the team that wins the 50/50 balls.  They have to be the team more aggressive on the boards.  They must be the more aggressive team in going to the hoop and finishing at the hoop, not just driving toward the basket and hoping to get the foul because on the road, they probably won't get the calls.  And they have to be the more aggressive team on defense. They simply can't allow the Heat to outwork them. 

Bench Play - The Celtics have gotten a boost from their bench in games 3 and 4 after they were mostly invisible in games 1 and 2.  The Celtics have veterans like Pietrus, Dooling and Quisy coming off the bench who should be able to play well on the road.  The Celtics need to get production from them on both ends of the court so that the starters can get rest and not give up a lead or dig a hole while they are out. 

X-Factors
Focus and Officiating
The Celtics must come out focused on playing their game and not allow officiating or the Heat thuggery to derail them.  If they can stay focused on both ends of the court and play aggressive basketball, they can get the win regardless of the officiating or the venue.   

The officiating in game 1 and 2 was terrible.  The officiating in games 3 and 4 was mostly even.  The Celtics already have an uphill battle overcoming age and injuries without also having to overcome one sided officiating as well.  Hopefully there has been enough of a spotlight on the officiating in this series that they will call it fair in this game as well. 

Re: Celtics (2-2) at Heat (2-2) ECF Game 5 6/5
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 09:32:51 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
This one is going to be quite the test for us. If we can take game 5 in miami this series is ours. At least all the pressure is on the heat now. It's going to be a huge test for them as well.

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 10:50:27 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
I feel pretty good about this game. The Celtics had problems in the second half but survived Game four with grit so that should give them confidence to compete and beat My Hammy in My Hammy.

My agenda: Walk on 33 Rd Ave W
                     Do three point three tasks at work
                     Eat Moons over My Hammy at Denny's and tip the waitress $3.33
                     Walk three point three miles to the lucky Boston Sports Bar
                     Watch the Celtics play 48 minutes or whatever it takes of kick butt basketball.

We are due for an absolute kick butt road win, Bosh or no Bosh. Horford and Elton Brand are better than Bosh.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 12:00:35 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I hope the guys are in a hyperbaric chamber somewhere because this game will be the toughest one of the year
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 05:46:31 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
TP. Go Celtics!

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 07:09:17 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
TP, FL!

TAKE THIS ONE TONIGHT, C's.....just TAKE IT!!

Do it like the Big Three of old...just IMPOSE YOUR WILL on MIA tonight!

Bosh? No problem!

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 07:35:22 AM »

Offline DavorCroatiaFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 97
We won't go quietly into the dark, we will not vanish without the fight, we're going to live on, we're going to survive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l31UUl5SyXk
No1 Celtics fan in Croatia

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 07:49:46 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Gonna have to win us a road game . :-X

The Cheaters are pretty determined and a have lost only something like 5 games at home all season.....few small issues to deal with

1) we will somehow have to beat the cHeat's personal handpicked prebiased refs (play defense on Wade &Lebron) and the same time not foul out PP , KG and Rondo. :-X
2)  Still will need 60 points at least from our Big Three to counteract the 75 Wade and LeBron will get between them .
3)   We can expect to only shoot 10 freethrows the whole game and the cHeat 40 + .or (as many as the refs feel the cHeat need to win.)
4)   Wade and Haslem will play dirty ball for sure. Be allowed to clobbered Rondo and still stay in the game.

...this game should be a piece of cake.  

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 08:44:35 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Take this game so I can laugh at all the haters on this board and ESPN...sorry to all of them that picked the heat in a sweep.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 08:56:23 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
hoping they come out on fire like the past 3 games.  I think if they can do that for the 4th straight game, it might (hopefully) get into the Heat's heads that they have problems.

not to make this about the refs but any word who's working the game tonight?  With the Crawfords both used in the past 2 games I'm hoping they're out.  also optimistic that with Mark Davis as the alternate last game that he's not in line for tonight's game. 
As someone else mentioned, the best officials are the ones where you DON'T know who they are.  Unfortunately, the NBA has very few of those

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 09:24:13 AM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54
I'm not really the one to complain about officiating. But it has been awful in this series and it keeps going worse by each game. Look at game 4, in an ECF game, a ton of players were on the brink of fouling out. They simply didn't let the game to be played. It was mostly even, there were mistakes for both sides. But I don't like it that way, either. I could barely stop my laughter at some of those offensive foul calls.
Anyway, it can't be getting any worse than that, so, I'm hopeful that it's proper officiating tonight.
As for the game, well, what can you say about it? It is the most critical game they will have to battle in for both of the teams this season. Both teams played suffocating defense at times and there were numerous periods of scoring drought for both (To the degree that both teams scored one basket each in the Game 4 OT). In the last three games, Celtics looked like having the upper hand, built a lead and in all three of them, Heat battled back. They stole the first, couldn't do the same in the other two. Perhaps the key was the home court, where their run was fueled by the support of the crowd, of course.
This points out that it is highly essential to hold on to a lead if you are playing away from home and the opponent is capable of coming back at you. So, it's tough to imagine a runaway victory for either side. Executing down the stretch is as always the second most important key to get an opening.
That said, I can say the psychological edge is on the Celtics' side. If Heat lose this one, coming back at Garden and trying to steal a game from Celtics, a team that has beaten them three straight is extremely tough, perhaps even tougher than Celtics trying to win a Game 7 on road.

Let's go Celtics!!

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 09:42:41 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I look for this to be an Epic grind it out, KG bar fight , last second win for the Celtics.

This game will not be for the faint of heart.

Please remember to take all your heart and blood pressure meds.

Have plenty of beer.

Its gonna be a good one.

Hope the B-Ball gods smile on us once again.

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 09:48:16 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I'm not really the one to complain about officiating. But it has been awful in this series and it keeps going worse by each game. Look at game 4, in an ECF game, a ton of players were on the brink of fouling out. They simply didn't let the game to be played. It was mostly even, there were mistakes for both sides. But I don't like it that way, either. I could barely stop my laughter at some of those offensive foul calls.
The other option instead of calling fouls as they perceive them is to call double techs, which are even more annoying.

There were also some excellent but bold calls, such as the foul on KG when he was holding Lebron. The foul calls in the post when fighting for position seem almost impossible to me. There is so much contact and bodies obscure the refs' view of a lot of the contact. Plus, the contact is away from the ball.

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 09:49:40 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
With the Crawfords both used in the past 2 games I'm hoping they're out.
In the 2 games we won, including the one where the Heat were left with just Wade in OT? Seemed to work out well.

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 10:09:53 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I'm interested to see how the Heat respond to the pressure tonight.  This is the highest pressure game of the post season for them thus far.  And, to be honest, I feel like it's almost a freebie for us. 

Get off to another good start and make the Heat play catch up again. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson