Author Topic: John Prine concert  (Read 2804 times)

John Prine concert
« on: May 27, 2012, 03:02:52 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
A while ago Master Po introduced me to the music of John Prine.  I am a pseudo old hippy/follower of folk music from the 60s and 70s, but had never heard of him.  I fast became a big fan.  My husband (not a folk fan) got tickets to a John Prine concert in St. Pete last Friday night.  (He had never heard of him either.)  We were surprised to join more than 1,900 fans and followers for a super concert.   He performed for two hours straight, after a member of his band sang and warmed up the welcoming crowd.  And it was welcoming!    They called out requests and commentary all night.  Prine sang only his own songs  and almost every member of the crowd knew every word and sang along.  We were in the second balcony...great seats, lots of room and privacy...so I sang and danced along all night, too!  His music is sort of a combo folk/country/commentary...think dylan, or springsteen, with a country barnraising flavor.  

I had told Wally that the only thing I wasn't crazy about (listening to his music on line) was that he had a very distinctive guitar style and his songs started sounding alike after a while.  I couldn't have been more wrong!  He is an excellent guitarist, switching styles easily and with great mastery.

We had a great time.  Thank you, Master Po.  I am looking forward to seeing him again and again.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

Re: John Prine concert
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 03:59:53 PM »

Offline ChainSmokingLikeDino

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 96
A while ago Master Po introduced me to the music of John Prine.  I am a pseudo old hippy/follower of folk music from the 60s and 70s, but had never heard of him.  I fast became a big fan.  My husband (not a folk fan) got tickets to a John Prine concert in St. Pete last Friday night.  (He had never heard of him either.)  We were surprised to join more than 1,900 fans and followers for a super concert.   He performed for two hours straight, after a member of his band sang and warmed up the welcoming crowd.  And it was welcoming!    They called out requests and commentary all night.  Prine sang only his own songs  and almost every member of the crowd knew every word and sang along.  We were in the second balcony...great seats, lots of room and privacy...so I sang and danced along all night, too!  His music is sort of a combo folk/country/commentary...think dylan, or springsteen, with a country barnraising flavor.  

I had told Wally that the only thing I wasn't crazy about (listening to his music on line) was that he had a very distinctive guitar style and his songs started sounding alike after a while.  I couldn't have been more wrong!  He is an excellent guitarist, switching styles easily and with great mastery.

We had a great time.  Thank you, Master Po.  I am looking forward to seeing him again and again.

Excellent report!
I love this video of John Prine driving to and talking about the location of the song "The Accident."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewIse6lNjro

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 03:28:30 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
Thank you, CahinsmokingLikeDino.  One of Master Po's favorites (mine, too) is "Clay Pigeons".  Another of mine is "In Spite of Ourselves".  Unfortunately, I don't know how to drop the links into text...I am a very uneducated computer user, I'm afraid....but....I can type.... :-\    (I keep promising myself that one day I will actually learn to drive one of these new fangled machines.)
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 03:34:41 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
You might wanna check out this tribute album put out last year - it was a great listen

http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Hearts-Dirty-Windows-Songs/dp/B003M4Y6VA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338492816&sr=8-1

Here's the track list:

Title   Artist   Time   Price   
Play
  1. Bruised Orange (Chain of Sorrow)   Justin Vernon of Bon Iver    4:02   $0.99   
Play
  2. Wedding Day In Funeralville   Conor Oberst and the Mystic Valley Band    2:09   $0.99   
Play
  3. All The Best   My Morning Jacket    3:16   $0.99   
Play
  4. Mexican Home   Josh Ritter    3:28   $0.99   
Play
  5. Six O'Clock News   Lambchop    4:24   $0.99   
Play
  6. Far From Me   Justin Townes Earle    4:35   $0.99   
Play
  7. Spanish Pipedream   The Avett Brothers    3:04   $0.99   
Play
  8. Angel From Montgomery   Old Crow Medicine Show    4:30   $0.99   
Play
  9. The Late John Garfield Blues   Sara Watkins    4:06   $0.99   
Play
10. Daddy's Little Pumpkin   Drive-By Truckers    3:12   $0.99   
Play
11. Unwed Fathers   Deer Tick feat. Liz Isenberg    3:40   $0.99   
Play
12. Let's Talk Dirty In Hawaiian   Those Darlins    3:37   $0.99

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 03:41:40 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
You might wanna check out this tribute album put out last year - it was a great listen

http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Hearts-Dirty-Windows-Songs/dp/B003M4Y6VA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338492816&sr=8-1

Here's the track list:

Title   Artist   Time   Price   
Play
  1. Bruised Orange (Chain of Sorrow)   Justin Vernon of Bon Iver    4:02   $0.99   
Play
  2. Wedding Day In Funeralville   Conor Oberst and the Mystic Valley Band    2:09   $0.99   
Play
  3. All The Best   My Morning Jacket    3:16   $0.99   
Play
  4. Mexican Home   Josh Ritter    3:28   $0.99   
Play
  5. Six O'Clock News   Lambchop    4:24   $0.99   
Play
  6. Far From Me   Justin Townes Earle    4:35   $0.99   
Play
  7. Spanish Pipedream   The Avett Brothers    3:04   $0.99   
Play
  8. Angel From Montgomery   Old Crow Medicine Show    4:30   $0.99   
Play
  9. The Late John Garfield Blues   Sara Watkins    4:06   $0.99   
Play
10. Daddy's Little Pumpkin   Drive-By Truckers    3:12   $0.99   
Play
11. Unwed Fathers   Deer Tick feat. Liz Isenberg    3:40   $0.99   
Play
12. Let's Talk Dirty In Hawaiian   Those Darlins    3:37   $0.99
Thanks, StartOrion, I have heard most of them on line.  (I think everyone has done "Angel from Montgomery")  ;D
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...