Author Topic: Is this the last run of the Big Three?  (Read 4317 times)

Re: Is this the last run of the Big Three?
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 06:56:48 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
- I'd be surprised but not shocked if they're all gone, including Rondo, especially if they don't get to the ECF.
- I'd be surprised but not shocked if they're all here, especially if they get to the Finals (and beyond).
- There will be demand in the market for KG and RA.
- I expect Ray to play somewhere next year, regardless of surgery.  KG??
- I don't see how we replace Ray if he leaves via free agency given our cap situation assuming we re-sign KG to a $10-12 million contract.
- Hopefully we can do a sign and trade with Ray (or KG) if it comes to that.
- I'm skeptical that Bradley is our starting SG of the future based on his performance since being named starter.
- I have no reason to believe that Rondo's likes or dislikes are going to matter one way or the other whatever they are.

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 06:11:29 PM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
If Rondo keeps improving his shots Rondo Pierce and Garnett will be the new Big 3. Not a bad start to build around especially if Bradley comes back strong.

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 07:16:33 PM »

Offline ManchesterCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
With the way KG's been playing lately, combined with that there are no premier Championship leading Free Agents on the Market worth the Max, I'd be upset to see KG playing for another team if he chooses not to retire. If KG stays, he should continue to be willing to play starting Center/Backup Power Forward and I hope Ray's willing to except a 6th man role and no back-breaking salary to stay also.

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2012, 07:34:57 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
i think Ray is gone no matter wat dis year nd I think Pierce nd KG are back next year no matter wat just my opinion i could be wrong tho

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2012, 07:40:55 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I think KG is going to need some time to reflect before July 1st.

But this sure feels like the last push of this great player. If he goes, its time to begin the Rondo era and enjoy a final year or 2 out of Pierce.

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2012, 07:44:49 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
Hopefully not. I want one more run next year, regardless of how this season ends. It would be great if they retire as Celtics, together, and trying to lead some youngins to Boston's #19. And I think all 3 have 1-2 years of great basketball in their tanks. The only doubt is KG playing through pain, but he's KG.

An ideal situation would be a 2 year front-loaded contract for both KG and Ray, with a team option for 2nd year. I don't think there's any UFA out there worth the cap space, and if you have to overpay, you better overpay Ray and KG. At the summer of 2013, the big 3 could retire together and create cap space for some max free agent(s).

Celtic tradition was built with veteran stars retiring as Celtics and passing the torch to younger players. This would set a good example and probably would make the Celtics a better option for free agents.

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2012, 07:56:39 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
The deeper into the playoffs they go, I think the more the likelihood this is it. If they make it to the Finals I don't see this group coming back next year. If they win the championship, I could see one, two or possibly all three players retiring.

I think you can make a case for the converse: that the earlier this team is eliminated, the less likely "management" and the players will believe it worthwhile to try again next year with a similarly constructed roster.

Yeah, I think the deeper this squad goes this season, the more likely they'll all be back next season ... Unless they win the title this year, in which case I could see all three of them saying adios, going out on top and on their own terms, the two rings making all the hard work of their long careers worthwhile (and not wanting to do even one more wind sprint the rest of their lives).
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2012, 08:05:33 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
ok honestly... i think right now KG probably thinks he's going to retire at the end of the year.  But when it comes time to decide... i can't see him walking away.  He's still capable of playing at a high level and basketball is his entire life.  He'll talk to some of his friends like Reggie Miller and they'll say to him, "Man... you'll have plenty of time to sit on a beach and do nothing... but you'll never get this back.  5 years from now it will be too late.  Enjoy it for as long as you can..."  

And he'll come back.  Hopefully to Boston.

Ray, though... everyone seems to suggest he has no interest in returning here.

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2012, 08:13:26 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
ok honestly... i think right now KG probably thinks he's going to retire at the end of the year.  But when it comes time to decide... i can't see him walking away.  He's still capable of playing at a high level and basketball is his entire life.  He'll talk to some of his friends like Reggie Miller and they'll say to him, "Man... you'll have plenty of time to sit on a beach and do nothing... but you'll never get this back.  5 years from now it will be too late.  Enjoy it for as long as you can..."  

And he'll come back.  Hopefully to Boston.

Ray, though... everyone seems to suggest he has no interest in returning here.

TP. Spot on.