Author Topic: Rondo actually said this after the game!  (Read 7764 times)

Re: Rondo actually said this after the game!
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 09:29:41 AM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 10:01:19 AM »

Offline ram

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
Scal is right. I made that comment in last night's game chat because I saw Rondo wave at Bradley and get real frustrated.
AB was on the wrong side of the court and got in the way.

Rondo should have tried to penetrate and dish after the original play broke down.

KG was trying to get free in the lane but the defender was holding him.

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2012, 10:02:40 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
Scal is right. I made that comment in last night's game chat because I saw Rondo wave at Bradley and get real frustrated.
AB was on the wrong side of the court and got in the way.

Rondo should have tried to penetrate and dish after the original play broke down.

KG was trying to get free in the lane but the defender was holding him.

Don't even get me started on that. They call the moving pick on the last play, but not the hold on KG on this play. Ugh!

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 10:28:08 AM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
I think its because Rondo stagnates the offense and makes it too predictable

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2012, 10:35:42 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Maybe Rondo was frustrated that they were running a play for Ray that is more easily defensible than dumping the ball into KG in the low box.  I know I was.

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 10:50:12 AM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
The offense played lousy because they stopped working as hard on offense as they did at the other end. We don't have the physical talent to slack off on possessions both offensive and defensive. Our mental part of the game is very weak right now and that is most disturbing to me. 
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2012, 11:54:57 AM »

Offline Steve from Milford

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
Actually, this may have been a legitimate answer. While Rondo looks over the court, players are supposed to be moving and cutting and he watches to see what develops. Until it does, his statement is the honest truth.

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2012, 12:10:25 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176

Hows you chris paul footie pajamas feeling this afternoon?

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2012, 12:12:45 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I think the play was for Ray, but it was Avery who was at fault. I was sitting in the 3rd row and Rondo was FURIOUS with Bradley for not moving earlier and going baseline to clear space so KG + Ray could work it.
Avery said sorry to Rondo as he ran baseline and Rondo and Doc both cussed him out after the play.
Not Rondo's fault at all.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2012, 12:20:24 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
I think the play was for Ray, but it was Avery who was at fault. I was sitting in the 3rd row and Rondo was FURIOUS with Bradley for not moving earlier and going baseline to clear space so KG + Ray could work it.
Avery said sorry to Rondo as he ran baseline and Rondo and Doc both cussed him out after the play.
Not Rondo's fault at all.

there are now multiple confirmations that this is what happened, yet people still want to crucify Rondo over this. Unbelievable. Rondo is so underrated around here.

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2012, 12:33:27 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
That's sarcasm 101 guys.

It's the same tone/technique Rondo used on Craig Sager during the post-game interview of game 1.

It ends the conversation and leaves the interviewer to wonder, "what does that mean?".
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2012, 12:56:48 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I could care less what he SAID.  Anyone can say anything, doesn't mean there is any substance behind it.  I only care what he DID on the court. 

The play was obviously a screen for Ray, and KG as a backdoor option.  It didn't work and Rondo should have gone elsewhere.  What happened is they just waited a second time to see if the play could develop.  But PHI already knew what was going on (as did everyone watching the game).  I pin the blame on Rondo and the other two guys on the court (Pierce and Bradley?).  If the called play doens't work they NEED to do something. 

exactly, it was a screen for Ray with KG as a 2nd option, and apparently it was Bradley who screwed it up, according to Scal here:

http://www.csnne.com/pages/celticsvideo?PID=uvXM2-SQvA_JK2Opr3EIAIqj_Me7oyR84xX5sg

I like Scal here giving commentary.  He knows Doc, the team and what he's talking about, but he never ever makes the conversation about himself.  Instead he simply and clearly explains his points.

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2012, 03:06:44 PM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
Rondo is such a great player who often fuels the Celtic's when they play well.  He gets tons of credit for their success but is equally responsible when the offense disintegrates like it did tonight.  The Celtics got back into the game by running the offense through KG but went away from it late.  Also Rondo's penetration led to an easy layup then dunk for KG but in crunch time that aggression was nowhere to be found.

The late game offensive failures on two key possessions were huge in costing the Celtic's a chance to go up 2-0 on Philly tonight.  However the team failed miserably both times to even get a decent shot off.

The worst sequence was when the C's were up 1 with the ball and a chance to increase the lead.  Rondo had the ball and stood there dribbling and waving his arms.  The play appeared to be for Ray but Philly was ready.  When the initial option broke down Rondo just stood there until the clock wound down and forced up a horrible jump shot that missed.  Instead of realizing the play wasn't available and at least driving to the basket with aggression Rondo appeared lost as what to do next.

From Forsberg here is the sequence and Rondo's shocking response to being asked about that play ---

But the Celtics couldn't get their offense in motion, and Rajon Rondo dribbled the ball for 19 seconds before forcing a 17-foot jumper with two defenders nearby. The shot found back iron.

At the other end, Evan Turner drove past Rondo (Ray Allen did little to help the penetration) and even when Paul Pierce stepped up in the lane, Turner willed in a circus layup while falling to the floor for a 76-75 Philadelphia lead.

Asked what he was looking for before settling for that jumper, Rondo shrugged and said, "I DON'T EVEN KNOW."

Rondo answers that he didn't even know what was happening on the biggest offensive possession of the game??? 

Rondo was doing one of two things there ---

Either he was just being sarcastic and immature when justifiably asked about running a play that had no rhythm or sense to it OR...

Is it possible he really did have no clue was he was trying to do there?  As the PG of the team he is responsible for directing the offense and getting the team in position to score late in games.  Was he really just standing there confused and then panicked when nothing opened up by forcing a terrible jump shot?

Not sure what is the worst of those two scenarios but it's a terrible response in either case.  There is no excuse for Rondo to be lost with the game on the line or to be so petulant as to not step up and admit he just didn't execute in that crucial situation.  So much talk is about this now being Rondo's team which often appears to be case.  However that kind of response shows Rondo still has a long way to go when being held accountable for the team's struggles...

Rondo knew what was going on but no one wanted in on the deal. So he tossed one. I don't blame him. A little rigor  was setting in the Big 3 about then. It was nap time. I have seen Rondo get bored when people aren't where they belong. This play, the layup at the other end and KG's Roller Derby tactic caused some projectile barfing. 50-50 we beat Philly with Pierce's knee, Allen's foot, and Rondo's shoulder.

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2012, 03:26:45 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1671

It's not Rondo who stagnates the offense.  The thing that stagnates the offense is when the team decides that they need to get Ray shots.  It takes twenty seconds to run him off of twenty screens to get him open, and meanwhile if it doesn't work then Rondo's stuck with the ball and no time on the clock.

Rondo's fault on those plays, in my opinion, is that he takes low-percentage contested jumpers rather than putting his head down and going to the rim.  But he certainly can't be blamed for stagnating the offense.