Author Topic: Really, Mods?  (Read 10644 times)

Really, Mods?
« on: May 09, 2012, 10:52:32 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Thanks to Nick for posting a thread about President Obama's historic statements regarding gay marriage rights today.

I don't understand the extremely quick trigger fingers by Roy H. and Redz to ban the discussion altogether around here.

Roy's locking of the initial thread came with a reminder that if someone wanted to try the discussion again to go ahead, but to keep the rules in mind.  Then Redz, preemptively banned that one as well.

Let us discuss this important issue.  If we are going to have a Current Events forum, controversial subjects are going to arise.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

Re: Really, Mods?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 10:54:46 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i understand roy's locking.  redz confused me bc roy said if someone wanted to try again they could.

no biggie either way.  chances are it would have been locked anyway.  people cant discuss topics like that around here without breaking the rules or starting problems

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 10:54:53 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The staff is currently discussing what to do with the topic.  There was some miscommunication on our part, I think.

That said, I 100% stand by the lock of the first thread.  We're not tolerating discussions that devolve like that in the Current Events forum, period.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 10:56:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I agree the first thread should have been locked. I wouldn't have started the second thread without an okay. I know better than that.

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 10:57:59 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
I wasn't trying to be disrespectful by the way; however I have met a few kids with same sex parents and while they all have said they loved their parents they also admit life is often more difficult and challenging as a result.

If I offended anyone  just know that was not my intent.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 10:58:23 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
The staff is currently discussing what to do with the topic.  There was some miscommunication on our part, I think.

That said, I 100% stand by the lock of the first thread.  We're not tolerating discussions that devolve like that in the Current Events forum, period.

Yeah, I don't really have a problem with your locking of the initial thread.  After all, it came with a reminder to remember to stay civil if we wanted to try this discussion again.  

Redz,

I think you jumped the gun.  
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 11:03:51 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Redz,

Redz was just following our usual policy, where we ask that locked threads stay locked, since they were locked for a reason.  There are some special considerations in play with this particular topic, but Redz was simply following a standard procedure that has worked well for us overall.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 11:12:35 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
The staff is currently discussing what to do with the topic.  There was some miscommunication on our part, I think.

That said, I 100% stand by the lock of the first thread.  We're not tolerating discussions that devolve like that in the Current Events forum, period.

Yeah, I don't really have a problem with your locking of the initial thread.  After all, it came with a reminder to remember to stay civil if we wanted to try this discussion again.  

Redz,

It was a timing thing with communications.  Nick cleared it with Roy around the same time I was locking it down.  I still think it;s going head down the same path, but let's give a whirl (it was a good discussion in parts...I don't usually get involved in CE threads, but I was in that one).

Hope it works out OK.
Yup

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 11:26:32 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Redz did the right thing. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks for reopening though. I think it an important subject and I have some legal questions to talk about with it.

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 11:30:37 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Redz did the right thing. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks for reopening though. I think it an important subject and I have some legal questions to talk about with it.

On that note  :)

Yup

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 11:30:44 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
While I typically oppose censorship, there is no doubt that this is the kind of topic that lends itself to incendiary opinions. This runs deeper than political opinion and ventures into the territory of oppression and the way people view the world.

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 01:03:44 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I guess the "Novak >> Ray Allen' thread just got locked because it was too incendiary too. I don't get it.  It's a BB post Maybe the moderators could state why they're locking a thread in the thread. 

That thread didn't have one dissenting opinion to the OP's post or the general theme that Novak was shut down and exposed during the MIA series after being touted as a better player than Ray Allen by several posters earlier.  No cussing and nobody was singled out.

As far as open forums where controversial topics are discussed, close them and ban them.  I've seen other sports blogs be very adversely affected and the atmosphere is becoming more and more polarized in this country.

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 02:37:21 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
TPs to the moderators.  The officials got together on this one and made the correct call (anyway, I hope it's the correct call--I've haven't checked out the latest thread to see what road it's gone down yet.)
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 05:42:15 AM »

Kiorrik

TPs to the moderators.  The officials got together on this one and made the correct call (anyway, I hope it's the correct call--I've haven't checked out the latest thread to see what road it's gone down yet.)
I wasn't involved, but indeed, good job to all involved. That includes you, Celtics18.

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 06:27:46 AM »

Offline myteamisbetterthanyours

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 31
Speaking of same sex marriage.. "The Kids Are All Right" is a great movie on this topic.. I suggest you all watch it.