Author Topic: Idea: how do we get Josh Smith?  (Read 7400 times)

Idea: how do we get Josh Smith?
« on: May 09, 2012, 06:58:28 AM »

Offline kne

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
This line-up, plus a draft steal and a decent supporting cast, gets us banner 19 next year (two shining examples of my optimism in that sentence right there):

PG Rondo
SG Bradley
SF Pierce/Green
PF Josh Smith
C KG

Any ideas on how Danny could get Smith? I'ld love to see him run with Rondo.

Re: Idea: how do we get Josh Smith?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 07:17:54 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Wait 'til he becomes a free agent and sign him to a somewhat reasonable deal for a player his calibur.

Otherwise expect to give up a lot more than Josh Smith's worth in acquiring him.

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 07:28:55 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
the only valuable thing we have outside of the old Big Three and Rondo that's worth to ATL is the draft picks. It will take more than that unfortunately.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 08:53:09 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Something involving a Ray sign and trade? Ive been all in on josh Smith for a few years now. Doc would do wonders with him.

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 09:06:47 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Something involving a Ray sign and trade? Ive been all in on josh Smith for a few years now. Doc would do wonders with him.

Not sure if that will be enough money.  I don't see Ray getting much more then 4-5 mil.  I also don't see Ray agreeing to go to Atlanta.  I think Ray is going to either stay in Boston or retire.  His home is in Connecticut, he's got his son with diabetes to handle and he has other young kids.  I think he wants to stay in the CT area, which basically means Boston or New York.  Let's face it though Ray is also going to want to play for a contender, the Knicks/Nets are far from that right now.
do it

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 09:15:49 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Wow people still like Smith after this series? If anything this has just enforced my opinion that he's just not that good.

I mean id take him on my team but certainly wouldn't want him as a corner stone player or someone you really invest money in.

Why would he be good with Rondo? Cause he can run and dunk? I can picture all the pick and pop wide open jumpers he'd miss like baby.

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 10:05:29 AM »

Offline dlpin

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 183
Why? Why, after watching Smith do dumb things for 5 games, do people still want him here? After all the dumb shots, the turn overs, the freezing of their point guard out, why do you still think he's a cornerstone for a franchise?

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 10:49:14 AM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
Why? Why, after watching Smith do dumb things for 5 games, do people still want him here? After all the dumb shots, the turn overs, the freezing of their point guard out, why do you still think he's a cornerstone for a franchise?

this. i'll rather we sign ilyasova over this low IQ player.

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 12:12:21 PM »

Offline kne

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16

Size, explosiveness, rebounding and - probably - good chemistry with Rondo. He's been with the Hawks for all his career, I'ld wager Doc could get a whole lot more out of him.

As for his jumpshot: I would think that his presence in the paint improves spacing for a Celtics team of shooters, plus we'ld get a lot more second tries...

But hey, just my thoughts. 

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 12:23:48 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Size, explosiveness, rebounding and - probably - good chemistry with Rondo. He's been with the Hawks for all his career, I'ld wager Doc could get a whole lot more out of him.

As for his jumpshot: I would think that his presence in the paint improves spacing for a Celtics team of shooters, plus we'ld get a lot more second tries...

kne, there's been quite a bit of discussion about Smith all throughout this season here. You're new (welcome to the blog, BTW), so you probably don't realize that these are well-trodden paths you're taking us down.

Many people here have strong reactions, good or bad, to the prospect of Smith in green: his supporters point to his athletic ability, his detractors to his immaturity/lack of BBIQ.

Personally, I don't like the idea of Smith as a player for the future for the Celtics. If KG, Pierce, and other veterans are around him to help reign him in when he starts to go off-book, that might be another story for me.

There was a terrific post in one of the Smith threads that summed up the problems many posters have with him. I'll see if I can find a link and post here.

Here's that post, by dlpin:

I don't understand how you can NOT be infatuated with him.  His one of the best help defenders of the past 5-10 years, he rebounds at an excellent rate for a smaller PF, he's a willing passer, still has that explosiveness, and he's even getting better as an on-ball defender.

I see 2 issues with JSmoove:
1) He's never been on a veteran-laden team
2) He's being asked to do far too much for a depleted Hawks team.

Maybe his pouting never changes and if so, that's really too bad, but man i would absolutely love to see him on the same team as KG and and Rondo, without hesitation.

Well, for one I actually live in Atlanta and see him more than just the stat sheet or occasional highlight. But don't take my word for it. Go to any Atlanta forum and you will see half the people there hate him. This from the extremely mellow atlanta fan base.

As for your 2 points,  nickagneta has addressed them.
But to recap, he had problems with 2 different coaches, with 2 different point guards (Bibby and Teague), etc. As for two large a load, he's played on a team with Joe Johnson, Jamal Crawford and Al Horford. And yet he took too many dumb shots. That is not the load being too heavy. It is him wanting to be the man.

The guy can be absolutely incredible sometimes. And then he can be lazy, detached, and playing against his strengths.

Everyone here in Atlanta hopes like crazy that he misses his first couple of long 2s, because otherwise he will keep taking them. I was talking to a friend during the last game with the celtics, and Smith started out hot. At one point he was like 6 of 8 from the field. And my friend said "just watch, now that he hit a few he will keep shooting, and will end up with less than 50% shooting for the night." And so after hitting 6 of 8, he hit 3 of 11. And this isn't a rare occurrence.
He forces too many shots, takes too many plays off, etc. etc. He can be a contributor, but not at the current price. And if he is unhappy in Atlanta because he thinks he should be featured more prominently by the ownership in promotional stuff and that he should be more involved in the game plan, imagine what he'd do in Boston behind Pierce, Rondo, etc.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 12:28:55 PM by Lucky17 »
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 01:09:36 PM »

Offline dlpin

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 183

His size isn't that impressive. 6'9 for a 4 is pretty much average. His rebounding is also not very impressive: the first time he averaged over 9 boards a game for a season was this season when he was basically the only big man on that team to remain healthy, and he still rebounded at a worse rate than Zaza Pachulia.

He has nice athleticism, a good ball handle for a big man, and is a very good defender... when he cares about it.

As for Doc and Rondo changing him:
Josh Smith has played the same way his entire career, whether he was a 22 year old on a 30 win team with Tyronn Lue for a point guard or a 27 year old top 4 east seed with Bibby or Teague for a point guard.

There was a perfect moment that defined Josh, I believe, early in game 4. The game was still 13-9 celtics, so the hawks were still in it. Josh got the ball, ran the fast break up the court, and at one point Teague was wide open at the three point line and JJ was cutting into the lane through the baseline. The celtics didn't adjust fast enough, so Josh had two clear as day options: JJ inside for an easy 2 or Teague outside for a wide open 3. And he put his head down, tried to go one on one with KG, and missed a jumper from near the elbow.

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 01:47:11 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Have you watched Josh Smith play this series? Yes he takes jump shots, bad ones at that, and does dumb things every once an a while. but this dude is a play maker and you really cant argue against that. In his four games against us in the playoffs he has averaged 17 points, 16 rebounds!,  and 5 assists. His turnovers are at 3.5 which isnt great and he is shooting below 40% because of all the jump shots he has taken. But he has been the focal point and the conductor of a Hawks offense that really doesnt exist. He is finding the open man and when he is getting to the rim is very effective against us. Plus his defense is pretty stellar as well. You cant deny what this kid does for the Hawks.

And in the regular season he averaged 19, 10 and 4 while shooting 46% from the field.

You put Smith's postseason stats next to Pierce's and there isnt much difference.

Smith: 17, 16, 5, 3.5 to's, and 39% shooting
Pierce: 22,  7,  3, 3.6to's  and  42% shooting

In no way shape or form am I saying Smith is better than Pierce. But you cant take away that he is playing great for the Hawks and you also cant take away the fact that inserting him into a lineup along with Pierce, Garnett, and rondo would make us significantly better.

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 02:00:58 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
if it's true that Josh Smith and Rondo are close friends... trade Rondo for Al Horford.  Then just sign Deron Williams in the offseason.

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 02:11:47 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Despite the evidence that the Hawks had their best record in the one season that Smith actually reined in his jump shooting, Smith reverted after that and reportedly wants out because he is tired of the coaches and media criticizing his shot selection.

If the Celtics acquire him, he would probably be a great defender with a more infuriating shot selection than Antoine Walker.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 02:12:11 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
if it's true that Josh Smith and Rondo are close friends... trade Rondo for Al Horford.  Then just sign Deron Williams in the offseason.

I would make that trade. Horford is that good. But Atlanta has him on a nice contract for the next 5 years. They shouldn't give him up unless they were getting a legit perennial all-NBA talent in return.

As for Smith. I don't see the C's putting together a nice enough $13 million package that Boston would be willing to part with. Its probably best to try to get him as a free agent in 2013, if he's the best option at that time and the feeling is mutual.