Author Topic: Hawks (1-1) at Celtics (1-1) Game 3 5/4  (Read 126419 times)

Hawks (1-1) at Celtics (1-1) Game 3 5/4
« on: May 02, 2012, 10:30:47 PM »

Online FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11845
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
 at    

Boston Celtics (1-1) at Atlanta Hawks (1-1)
Friday, May 4, 2012
7:30 PM ET
Game #3,  Home Game #1
TV:  ESPN,  CSNNE, SNET1, SPSO
Radio:  WEEI
TD Garden  

Probable Starters
 PG: Rajon Rondo 11.9 PPG, 11.7 APG, 4.8 RPG, PER 17.55

SG: Avery Bradley 7.6 PPG, 1.4 APG, 1.8 RPG, PER 11.31

SF:   Paul Pierce  19.4 PPG, 4.5 APG, 5.2 RPG PER 19.69

PF: Brandon Bass 12.5 PPG, 6.2 RPG, 0.9 BPG,  PER 14.21

C:   Kevin Garnett 15.8 PPG, 8.2 RPG, 1.0 BPG, PER 20.47

Celtics Reserves
Greg Stiemsma
Mickael Pietrus
JaJuan Johnson
E'Twaun Moore
Keyon Dooling
Sasha Pavlovic
Marquis Daniels
Sean Williams
Ryan Hollins  

Injured
Ray Allen (ankle) day to day

Probable Starters
 PG Jeff Teague 12.6 PPG, 4.9 APG, 2.4 RPG,  PER 15.83

SG Kirk Hinrich 6.6 PPG, 2.8 APG, 2.1 RPG,  PER 9.28  

SF  Joe Johnson 18.8 PPG, 3.9 APG, 3.7 RPG, PER 18.50

PF Josh Smith  18.8 PPG  9.6 RPG  1.7 BPG PER 21.14

C Jason Collins   1.3 PPG 1.6 RPG  0.1 BPG  PER 3.76

Reserves
Tracy McGrady
Ivan Johnson
Jerry Stackhouse
Erick Dampier
Jannero Pargo  
Willie Green
Vladimir Radmanovic

Injuries
Al Horford (Pectoral)  out
Zaza Pachulia (foot) day to day
Josh Smith (knee) doubtful

Key Matchups
 vs  
Rajon Rondo vs Jeff Teague
Teague has been solid for the Hawks in both games so far. He is quick and has the ability to hit big shots.  If left open behind the 3 point line, he is very capable of hitting big shots.  Rondo set the pace of the game and keep Teague from getting the Hawks into their offense quickly.  With his teammates reporting that they got the win in game 2 for their suspended point guard, I expect Rondo to come out in this one with a purpose and to have a huge game.    

vs  
Paul Pierce vs Joe Johnson
To say that Paul Pierce was huge in game 2 is an understatement.  He put the team on his back and carried them to victory.  With 2 days rest and back in his home territory, he should be ready to go in this one.  Johnson has had 2 sub par shooting games so far and there's always the concern that he could go off for a big game himself.  The Celtics need to keep a body on him and limit his effectiveness.  

Honorable Mention
Brandon Bass vs Josh Smith/Marvin Williams
With Smith's injury, he will either be out this game or possibly have limited mobility.   Williams is not a great defender.   Either way, this could be Bass' chance to shine in this series.  He has scored just 8 points on 3-7 shooting in both games so far, which is far from what he was doing in the regular season.  The Celtics sure could use his offense and it would be great if he could find his shot in this game. At first Smith was listed as doubtful but he was walking without a limp yesterday and says he'll play if he's able to get through the shoot around, which I expect him to do.  However, he may be tentative or limited because of the knee. 

Game Notes
The Celtics return home with the series tied 1-1.  They have wrested home court advantage back from the Hawks and now they must hang on to it and take advantage of playing at home before what should be a very loud home crowd.  

They have had 2 days off and should be recharged and ready.  Rondo will be back and should be raring to go after his suspension and knowing that his teammates had his back in game 2.  The momentum has swung back to the Celtics after their big win.  Losing to a Rondo-less Celtics team, after leading by 11 in the 3rd quarter has to have the Hawks a bit demoralized.    

Injuries are still the topic of the day for both teams.  Josh Smith left game 2 and has been diagnosed with patellar tendonitis and has been upgraded to a game time decision for this game but I wouldn't be surprised to see him play.  Marvin Williams or Ivan Johnson is expected to start in his place if he can't go.   Pachulia is still listed as day to day while Horford is still out although the Hawks coach has hinted that he might play in the series.   For the Celtics Ray Allen is still day to day and was able to go through a full practice on Thursday.  Hopefully the ankle won't swell again after the practice.  It would be a huge boost if he could play even limited minutes.  

The Celtics need to take care of of their house.  They can't afford any more sluggish starts or loss of focus if they expect to win this series.  They have shown they are the better team and will win if they stay focused.   It's time to get serious and bring Gino out for this one.  

Keys to the Game
Defense - This is the key to every game and to winning a championship this year.  The Hawks are a good 3 point shooting team as well as having the ability to get to the basket and so the Celtics must defend both the perimeter and the paint. They won game 2 by clamping down defensively.  They need to show that same tough team defense from start to finish in this game.  

Rebound -  Rebounding is key to controlling the tempo and flow of the game.  The Celtics must limit tip ins and second chance points by crashing the boards and limiting the Hawks rebounds.  It's not a coincidence that the Celtics were out-rebounded in their loss 50-41 but they won the rebounding battle 45-40 in their win.  Rebounding is effort and desire and when the Celtics show both effort and desire on the boards that translates to all the other areas of the game.  

Run the Offense -  With their playmaker back, the Celtics should be able to move the ball and get open shots.  They have to trust each other and make the extra pass.  When they hold the ball too much and play hero ball,  nothing good can come of it.   Rondo should have 20 assists in this game if they move without the ball and get open for his passes. With 2 days rest, they should have their legs under them again and hopefully will hit their shots.  

Be Aggressive - The Celtics must be the more aggressive team.  They have to be aggressive in going to the basket.  Driving into the paint will give them a basket or free throws or the opportunity to kick it out to an open teammate.  They can't just settle for jumpers, especially if they aren't falling.  They also must be aggressive in going after loose balls and rebounds.  They can't let the Hawks out hustle them.  They must play like they want it more.  

X-Factors
Home Court, Focus, and Officiating
The Celtics are home and should get a boost from the home crowd that KG was boasting about after game 2.   The Celtics have to be focused from the opening tip to the final buzzer.  There is no room for a slow start or for letting up before the end of the game.  We have seen how officiating can change a game and so we have to hope for fairness from the refs and maybe even some home court calls.  
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 08:36:12 AM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Hawks (1-1) at Celtics (1-1) Game 3 5/4
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 10:32:59 PM »

Kiorrik

Yay, TP FL and LET'S GO CELTICCCSSSS!!!

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 10:37:59 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Protect home court.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 10:38:08 PM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
Take this one for the fans watching. This is gonna be LOUD.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 10:41:40 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
wish i could be in Boston for this one
so much green love is gonna be flowin thru that place

i really want to see sasha get hot from the 3pt line
gonna be fun to watch this one

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 10:50:47 PM »

Offline thestackshow

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 112
Time for some Rondomination.

That hawks starting lineup is HORRID. Jason Collins, fat out of shape marvin williams and kirk hinrich?
[img width= height=]http://oi43.tinypic.com/2afde6p.jpg[/img]

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 10:55:25 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I still expect Josh Smith to play, the reports are a smokescreen. I also think Pachulia comes back. Either way, the hawks are screwed, the celtics will win this one by double digits.

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 06:45:40 AM »

Online FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11845
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
I still expect Josh Smith to play, the reports are a smokescreen. I also think Pachulia comes back. Either way, the hawks are screwed, the celtics will win this one by double digits.

I'm thinking the same.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Smith play in this one and I expect Pachulia back too.  They are trying to keep us off balance.

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 03:15:59 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
I here the Garden Crowd Yelling for:

DEFENSE!!

DEFENSE!!

DEFENSE!!

Everybody shout in your 33 point font size from 7:30 to 10:00 tomorrow night!!!!
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 10:49:28 AM »

Offline GronkSpike

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
I here the Garden Crowd Yelling for:

DEFENSE!!

DEFENSE!!

DEFENSE!!

Everybody shout in your 33 point font size from 7:30 to 10:00 tomorrow night!!!!

Okay  ;D

I'm expecting a big game also. Show them who's the boss!

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 10:52:10 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
I'm expecting triple double rondo to appear

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 11:19:59 AM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I'm expecting triple double rondo to appear

Agreed. I fully expect this kid to come out on fire tonight. He always seems to play better when there's a chip on his shoulder.

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 12:05:06 PM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
Hopefully, the triple double doesn't come at the expense of other C's. I'm expecting lots of energy and effort tomorrow from the mean green machines.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 01:25:04 PM »

Offline ejk3489

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 215
TP FL

This will be my first game of the season I'm seeing in person...I told myself I wouldn't buy any tickets this year, but I finally caved. So pumped...expecting a big game from Rondo tonight.

Go Celtics!

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 01:33:43 PM »

Offline thestackshow

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 112
[img width= height=]http://oi43.tinypic.com/2afde6p.jpg[/img]